The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Queens' College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
The actual subjects should vary very little from college to college, as the lectures, reading lists, and exams are all produced by the university faculty. I'm not sure how helpful for very specific Classics questions I'll be, but fire away and if need be I'll consult the resident classicist upstairs. :smile:
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 41
Word on the street is that Prof. Diggle is 'the greatest living hellenist', and from what I gather you get a significant proportion of your supervisions with him. If I said any more, I'd be making it up.
:biggrin: thanks!:biggrin:

firstly, I know it's a really obvious quesion but how much work (reading etc) is there in comparison with the teaching (I will be learning Greek from scratch so I will have that too) but no one can seem to tell me how that works on top of lectures! :confused: :confused:
Reply 43
Well, from my philosophic perspective, classicists are pampered somewhat. They seem to get quite a lot of classes, with small sections of translation to do for each. The classicists I know claim to have as much contact-time as natscis, but I find that hard to believe. In conclusion, I don't really know, but you get more classes etc. than other arts students (perhaps not linguists)... oh yeah, and you get more classes...
Reply 44
Hey,

Is anyone here studying MML at Queens? I'm looking to study Spanish and ab-initio Italian. Is the DoS nice? Any recommended texts to read before interview?

Thanks,

Sam
Reply 45
There's definitely somebody who has been around here in the past who is a first year Spanish and ab-initio Arabic person... but I'm not sure if he's likely to see this for a while. A close friend of mine is a German/French, so any general MML questions I will pass on to her to answer.

I'm afraid I can't recommend any books -- you probably have a better idea than I do. In any case it's better to follow your own nose and read something you have an interest in than it is to read something because somebody else told you to.

And I -think- my Classicist friend upstairs started Greek from scratch. I know that you do a concentrated course before your degree starts, but other than that I'm not sure how you're supported. I'm guessing that you'd be examined seperately from the people who have A-level Greek.
Reply 46
OK thanks coldfish. I already have some knowledge of Italian, so I wouldn't be starting entirely from scratch. May I ask, what made you choose Queen's?
Reply 47
Queens' <-- that apostrophe is very very important.

Umm... do you want the truth? I had originally chosen Trinity Hall, and had written a 4 on the campus code section of the UCAS form. I then changed my mind, and the only thing I could change a 4 to without messing up the form was a Q. In truth I wouldn't have done it had I not actually liked Queens' anyway, but that was the true reason. I think Caius had been my second choice behind Tit Hall originally.
Reply 48
*bumps* Just to make sure that anybody seeing this thread knows that there's still somebody around to answer questions should they have them. :smile:
Reply 49
I don't have any questions, but I'm very very scared about my results.
charlotte16
I don't have any questions, but I'm very very scared about my results. Two of my friends just got IB results meaning they failed to meet their offers for Oxford and Cambridge respectively, and with my A Level results due in just over a month I'm pretty scared. I'm also considering going to visit Queens' and just sitting outside with a sign saying "I am lovely! Take me anyway!"

*whimper*

Ehhh. Join the club, minus the sign. :p: I'm trying not to think about results. Not thinking. Nope. Not at all. :rolleyes:
Reply 51
Sorry, yeah, I didn't think about the timing of my post. Don't worry about the IB things, I'm fairly sure that I remember reading somewhere that IB offers are far more often failed than A level ones.
I've asked this on the Queens' group on the 'Book to no avail so I thought I'd bring it here, sorry to anyone who'll have seen it twice as a result:
Where the form says not to send any certificates in until you have them all, does that mean that people aren't going to be submitting anything at all until they have got their A2 certificates, which the majority of us will probably receive *after* actually going there? :s

Or am I just talking rubbish?

Also, I would ask a couple of accommodation questions
- Are there TV aerial sockets in Cripps?
- Are there any facilities to store stuff in during holidays so I don't have to lug everything on the train at the beginning/end of each term?
Reply 53
Hey. I'm planning to apply to do CompSci in 2008 and though I haven't actually decided yet, Queens' is on top of my list of possible colleges.:P Soooo....other than the great location and famous Mathematical Bridge, what's it really like there??
Stick Man
- Are there TV aerial sockets in Cripps?
- Are there any facilities to store stuff in during holidays so I don't have to lug everything on the train at the beginning/end of each term?

1) No. You'd need a portable aerial. You'll almost certainly receive constant threats from the Licensing people whatever you do, whatever is in your room, and if you phone them up enough they eventually stop... To be honest, though, it's probably not worth bothering getting an aerial; most people I know watch DVDs on their computers, or on a separate TV unit, and you can probably download series you want off DC, if you're prepared to wait. You can, of course, watch Neighbours or whatever in the JCR; I've been led to believe it's a communal event.

2) Cripps rooms have pretty big wardrobes; the ensuite rooms have large cupboards over the bathroom. You can probably leave most important stuff - and books can stay on shelves, &c. For international students, keys are available to compartments in the corridors, but I can't see you fitting much in one of those.
Reply 55
They don't need to see your A2 certificates because they get the information straight from the exam boards. I don't even remember being asked for my GCSE certificates, to be honest. Bring anything with you that you have though, just in case.

I brought a telelvision last year, but only so that my roommate/friends could plug their consoles into it. I think it's generally a Bad Plan to bring a television for watching programmes on, it'll only let you waste time. You really really don't miss TV once you're there, you're busy enough without it.

Sorry about the lack of response on the facebook group, I didn't realise it existed. :P
Reply 56
And Frenzy: What do you want us to talk about? "What's it like there" is just such a vague question that I'm not sure what kind of answer you want. If you have specific questions then I'll do my best, but unless you do I can't really help. Sorry! :/
Hey all just joined student room so feeling my way around :P

Applied to Queens' for maths, whats everyone else applying for?

Good luck all for results and stuff.
Reply 58
I'm applying for CompSci.

coldfish
And Frenzy: What do you want us to talk about? "What's it like there" is just such a vague question that I'm not sure what kind of answer you want. If you have specific questions then I'll do my best, but unless you do I can't really help. Sorry! :/

I'm not even sure what kind of answer I was expecting to be honest! XD

Okay, a little more specific then since this just occurred to me.

I'm a Muslim, so do they offer any halal food over there? And if not, how's the vegetarian option? Plus, is it possible for me to be exempted from the kitchen overhead fee?
Nice one Frenzy, did you have to take STEP for that? Thats a paper they make us do in the UK, dunno about Malaysia though :P

Quick Reply

Latest