The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Queens' College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

I seem to recall reading in a somewhat hefty document (which I found online while college-hunting last year) that mini-fridges are allowed, but they've got to be checked over by the college to make sure they're safe. etc... don't quote me on that though!

Ehhhh, yeah... :creep: *creeps off in search of a life*
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 81
One of my friends had a mini-fridge. The noise got too much after two days, and it just sat next to her bed looking forlorn for the next 8 months.
Take what you will from that.
Reply 82
Hrm, I think the rules (for mini-fridges and everything else) say something like this:

You can only have appliances if they are (a) Checked by the college blah blah blah or (b) they use standard plugs and fuses. Which essentially means that applicances are fine.

Seriously though, so long as you're not doing anything silly it's fine. It's a good general rule.
Reply 83
Great, thanks for the advice everyone. I'm now going to go conduct an elaborate hum-test and then buy some long-life milk...
Yeeeuuuuuch, long-life milk... *shudders* I'll live on toast and black tea all year, thanks. :p:
Reply 85
nono, the filtered stuff tastes better than normal milk. I discovered it this term
Alex <3 Filtered Milk.
Filtered milk? What's that? Because UHT milk... well, I'd rather have my cereal dry, thanks.
Reply 87
It's like the Cravendale stuff. It's packaged in opaque white bottles.
Reply 88
PS I am more interesting that this conversation is making me out to be. It's just that during exam term the trip from my room to the milk in the fridge becomes that bit more arduous, and milk that keeps well without a fridge is suddenly very exciting. It's a student thing, I think.
coldfish
PS I am more interesting that this conversation is making me out to be.

We believe you. :wink:

...Does filtered milk taste like UHT? :p:
Reply 91
Does it happen often that a person doesn't get the room they chose as their first choice? I would really like an en-suite room :smile:
Reply 92
I got something like my fourth choice.
Reply 93
I think I got my fifth or sixth best. It's inevitable that most people want an en suite, and there is only a limited supply. And it's also inevitable (so it seems) that nobody wants to live in Dokett, but a number of first years have to.
PS Dokett are the grate.
Reply 94
But how do they choose who lives where? Who first got results he has an en-suite room? Now I'm a bit afraid because all English people had their results on 16th while my place has been confirmed as late as three days ago. Does it mean that I will have to live in Dokett?
I wanted a cheap bog-standard room in Cripps, and I got a cheap bog-standard room in Cripps. Result! :biggrin: :wink:
Reply 96
I really wanted ensuite but no joy. Not too bothered though, I'm on FF staircase so I get the launderette! Woo! Anyone have any idea how many people I'll be sharing a bathroom with?
Reply 97
hyper-little-mushroom-men
I wanted a cheap bog-standard room in Cripps, and I got a cheap bog-standard room in Cripps. Result! :biggrin: :wink:

Out of misplaced curiosity: what is your room number?

And regarding Dokett: unfortunately, it is generally international students who find themselves there (as well as welsh people, apparently...). Supposedly this is so you don't have to change rooms if you want to stay over the holidays and can leave stuff in your room over the holidays (which is a genuine benefit, I guess), but to the uninitiated it does seem a little odd. Particularly as it is often claimed that Dokett rooms aren't the nicest. Having spent four weeks in a Dokett 'B' room (the lowest of the low), I concluded that, while not ideal for entertaining, they aren't as bad as the Dokett-haters likes to believe.

Here ends the lesson.
I think non-ensuite Cripps bathrooms are between 3 people.
johnrambo
Out of misplaced curiosity: what is your room number?

Ummm... *checks* CC9. :smile: First floor, so at least I won't have to lug my stuff up too many stairs...

Quick Reply

Latest