The Student Room Group

Difficulty finding cheaper conservation work

I'm finding myself in a situation where I want do some sort of volunteer work in either Borneo or South America for a few months in a gap year, but it seems pretty difficult to find anything that wont cost thousands of pounds.
It seems slighty ironic that I've got everything I'd need to live out there, all the jabs, and im willling to work hard for free, but there's nowhere to go :s-smilie: :confused:

Anyone currently in/been in a similar situation?
Try original volunteers
they're relatively cheap in comparison to a lot of big organizations

or outreach international... though they ask for over £2000, they say they never turn down an eaga and motivated volunteer
Reply 2
Crezzers
[snip ...] it seems pretty difficult to find anything that wont cost thousands of pounds.
It seems slighty ironic that I've got everything I'd need to live out there, all the jabs, and im willling to work hard for free, but there's nowhere to go.

I am surprised to hear you say that, there are a shed load of cheap volunteer options in South America.
You may have to pay your way in terms of flights, food & board etc. but that should be peanuts.

How long can you volunteer for? How good is your Spanish?
What are you preferred countries?
Within the conservation field, what would you like to do?

Steve
Reply 3
I can't speak any spanish whatsoever.
and as for what kind of work, anything physical would be great.
I was inspired mainly by a guy I met from Australia when I was in Borneo over summer, who'd been working as a volunteer for 10 years and just made money through odd jobs. Borneo's also where I'd like to go back to.
Reply 4
Crezzers

I can't speak any spanish whatsoever.

That's a problem because although it's possible to find independent volunteer work in
South America if you don't have any Spanish (I don't know about Borneo - sorry).
the problem is that independent (i.e. cheap) volunteer programs will expect you to be self-sufficient,
this includes travelling to the volunteer site itself, which may be in a remote part of the country.
Without basic language skills that will be a nightmare.
IMO Solo travellers to South America need to have basic conversational Espanol;
to travel without it is asking for trouble.

You will also be a far more effective volunteer with decent language Skills.

(Assuming you are in the UK/Europe) My advice would be to first learn some basic Spanish online,
then take a beginners course (somewhere like) in Granada, Spain, for a couple of weeks,
then do some independent travel in Spain for a while to practice the lingo, and get used to life on the road.

That would be good prep for a long independent volunteer stint in South America.

HTH
Steve
there are quite a few conservation companes here

Gap Year - Gap year
Gap Year Volunteering
Gap year conservation
Gap year community projects
Gap year work
Gap year seasonal jobs
Gap year tours and travel

or do a search on Google for smaller organisation within Peru etc
Reply 6
Crezzers
I'm finding myself in a situation where I want do some sort of volunteer work in either Borneo or South America for a few months in a gap year, but it seems pretty difficult to find anything that wont cost thousands of pounds.
It seems slighty ironic that I've got everything I'd need to live out there, all the jabs, and im willling to work hard for free, but there's nowhere to go :s-smilie: :confused:

Anyone currently in/been in a similar situation?

try green volunteers. lots of their things you only pay a small fee
What other people have said is very true, if you're set on South America you're going to have to be pretty good at Spanish. As soon as you get away from the cities, you're relying on your ability to converse in Spainish and if you can't then well, you're screwed basically.

If you're set on going to South America without a word of Spanish, then you don't really have the option of doing it all independently by just sending a few emails or turning up and seeing what happens. Thats why all of the companies exisit- they know Brits want to go to far flung corners of the world yet hardly anyone speaks a foreign language, so you pay them to organise stuff you can't do yourself due to your linguistic inability.

Even if you do go with them, it'd be a hell of a lot easier if you can speak Spanish. I was in Central America for several months a couple of years ago and I hate to even imagine being there without any knowledge of Spanish, as mine is pretty good.

Latest