The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I do piercings on my friends and myself.. and even I am better than claire's, at least then its done with a medical grade needle and proper jewellery!
Reply 21
becky.fm
It happens. Because a blunt earring is being forced through the cartilage, as opposed to a smooth needle. The trauma (temporary or permanant) caused to your ear will be horrific, even if it hasn't shown any damage.

Argh. I just google it.

"I have subsequently learned that not only is it highly inappropriate to pierce ears in such an environment, but that it is actually very dangerous to pierce the ear cartilage with a piercing gun. The studs are very blunt compared to a needle and it is actually just the brute force of the gun that shoves them through your ear. When you do this to cartilage rather than lobes, the blunt force trauma can shatter your ear cartilage and leave you with a cauliflower ear... not nice. Plus, the stems of the studs are nowhere long enough for cartilage piercing, sit far too tight on your ear and allow infection to get easily trapped, as they are very hard to clean."

Mine is to tight on my ear, I'm going to take it out I think :s-smilie:
Why is using a gun so bad can i ask? Is it just for the top bit? I had my lower earlobes done with a gun about 7 years ago and nothing went wrong with them?
jessburn123
Argh. I just google it.

"I have subsequently learned that not only is it highly inappropriate to pierce ears in such an environment, but that it is actually very dangerous to pierce the ear cartilage with a piercing gun. The studs are very blunt compared to a needle and it is actually just the brute force of the gun that shoves them through your ear. When you do this to cartilage rather than lobes, the blunt force trauma can shatter your ear cartilage and leave you with a cauliflower ear... not nice. Plus, the stems of the studs are nowhere long enough for cartilage piercing, sit far too tight on your ear and allow infection to get easily trapped, as they are very hard to clean."

If you go to a proper piercing place they will be able to change it to a titanium barbel that is the correct length.. they'll probs charge around £5 for the jewellery alone, well worth it!
DONT DO IT!

Go to a trained piercer and get it done with a needle!!!
Reply 25
jessburn123
Argh. I just google it.

Don't just take it out, especially if you like the piercing :smile: Pop into a nice piercing studio (they are all really friendly!) and get them to put a titanium barbell into it, and they'll give you loads of free advice on how best to look after it. It'll probably cost a fiver max. :biggrin:
Reply 26
SoundDevastation
If you go to a proper piercing place they will be able to change it to a titanium barbel that is the correct length.. they'll probs charge around £5 for the jewellery alone, well worth it!

Ok, I will do. I hate the place though, it has framed dead spiders on the wall. It's a gotic place, when i got my belly done there a long while ago, the woman scared me a lot. :p:
jessburn123
Ok, I will do. I hate the place though, it has framed dead spiders on the wall. It's a gotic place, when i got my belly done there a long while ago, the woman scared me a lot. :p:

haha.. go somewhere else?
anyway, dont be scared.. people in piercing studios are always lovely!
I had both my lobe piercings done at claires and I was fine... I think my body actually accepts anything lol.

But to the OP, in hindsight I would have gone somewhere proper just because of the risk. It doesn't cost much at all :smile:
Peanut42
:yes: Good, just checking. My sister got hers done there (fool) they went all green and eventually just closed up.

That's prolly cos of the metal used, and her reaction.
Not because Claires is bad..

They've passed the requirements to be a piercing shop, so...
I think earlobes are ok to get done at claire's, i did and its fine - as a gun is ok to use for the lobes, most places do.

However, i wouldn't recommend getting the cartilage done there, a gun is not suitable. I was speaking to a girl there who won't pierce ears anymore because she did girl's cartilage (with a gun) and her ear basically just collapsed!
SuicideCommando
That's prolly cos of the metal used, and her reaction.
Not because Claires is bad..

They've passed the requirements to be a piercing shop, so...

well claire's is bad for using that metal surely? only titanium is safe in fresh piercings. A gun is NOT ok to use for lobes.. not only is the metal unsuitable, the studs are not sharp enough, they dont go through fast enough, the studs are too tight and have those horrible butterflys which are impossible to clean, the gun is not sterile...
Reply 32
I had the second set on my lobes done at Claires and I also had my helix done at Claires! I think my helix went a bit manky but that's how my body must have reacted, Claires were actually really good with the aftercare and everything.

Bearing in mind that I was only 9 and 10 when I got them done, if I was to get them done now I'd probably go to a proper peircing studio but there's nothing that bad about Claires at all..

Not sure about the price but shouldn't cost too much. At my local peircing studio, lobes are only £2.50 :smile:
jessburn123
Really? I didn't plan it, was in claires and it was spur of the moment, few months ago.

I had mine done at claires when I was 12, because it was the only place that didn't request parental permission.
I took it out 18 months later because it still hurt when I slept on it, and only then did I notice I now have a wonky cartilage
I'm nearly 19 now and I'll always have wonky ears :s-smilie:
Reply 34
Untitled258
Oh god, seriously go to a proper piercing parlor, it shouldnt be to much, few quid maybe, just dont go claires!!

i got mine done there when i was lke 11.

My ears were fine.
And they still are
No dont. Mine got infected and now I have a scar on my ear!! :angry:
SoundDevastation
well claire's is bad for using that metal surely? only titanium is safe in fresh piercings. A gun is NOT ok to use for lobes.. not only is the metal unsuitable, the studs are not sharp enough, they dont go through fast enough, the studs are too tight and have those horrible butterflys which are impossible to clean, the gun is not sterile...

You're jst being a snob. Claires is safe to have piercings in.

People have allergic reactions to different types of metal. The metal they use is the one most people aren't allergic to. They ALWAYS advise that if you have an allergic reaction, to take it out. The body rejects the metal, it's not the piercers fault.

The gun is fine for lobe piercings, it's everywhere else that it is not okay to use.

The studs are fine, stop being pickey.
I get the general idea that Claire's is a no no? . . .I always see their lil piercing section and think hmmm :s-smilie:.

I got mine done @ Debenhams many moons ago and they were fine.
SuicideCommando

People have allergic reactions to different types of metal. The metal they use is the one most people aren't allergic to. They ALWAYS advise that if you have an allergic reaction, to take it out. The body rejects the metal, it's not the piercers fault.

The gun is fine for lobe piercings, it's everywhere else that it is not okay to use.

they're not fine.. the chances of it becoming infected are hugely incresed by getting it done with a gun. The metal they use is steel.. its not the most allergic but some people are. Titanium however is implant grade, its almost completely inert and any good studio will insist on using it.. it is far more expensive in steel, and not available in pretty little studs that fit into guns, which is why claire's dont use it.

If they were decent they would use needles and proper jewellery, not some unsterile device that was originally made for tagging the ears of cattle.

Im hardly being a snob, its just a choice of going to one shop or another... the differences are significant, im just trying to let people know that the choice is there and they should chose the better!
Reply 39
SoundDevastation

no. surgical grade stainless steel is also ok. gold is alright but not ideal. silver is a big no no, as is most of the jewlery at claires which also contains nickle.

everything else is spot on.

SuicideCommando

no, its NOT SAFE. piercing guns can NOT be properly sterilized!!!! they can not be autoclaved which is the ONLY way to insure clenliness and that it kills all the microscopic little things that can cause disease and infection.

also at a reputable piercing shop the jewlery is also autoclaved. at claires it is not. you are having a wound made to your body in unsterile enviroment, with unsterile jewlery, and an unsterile gun. this is being done by a person who has never taken a course controlling blood born pathogens...something that piercers take. the risks are not worth it. go to google and do even a small amount of research on the negative ramifications and issues with piercing guns.

studs are also not fine. they are fine for wearing, but at claires / with guns in general, the stud is forced through the ear. this casuses blunt trauma. a needle on the other hand causes much less trauma by slicing rather then just punching through. with lobe piercings you may not have major issues from this except more pain and longer healing time. however, with cartilige you are putting yourself at high risk for keyloiding (those big ugly bumpy growths) or even the possible collapse of the cartilidge.

Latest