The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I have been reading things on the internet about Claire's and I'm really annoyed I have got in done there now!
Reply 41
SoundDevastation
The metal they use is steel..

steel is ok. surgical grade stainless stell (sss) is 100% acceptable. the only benefit to titanium over steel is that it is lighter. the problem is that cheaper jewlery (like that at claire's and dodgy cheap piercing jewlery) is not pure sss. it is usually combined with nickle and this is what people have reactions to.
I had my ears done sooooooo many times with a gun when I was little until I had the brains to ask my mother to take me somewhere without the gun. I'm so delicate that my ears just kept getting horridly infected, or various other nasties kept happening. Eventually I was pierced with needles and my ears have been fine ever since. I still get the odd bump from my old holes and they're not very nice at all. I don't understand why anybody would go through so much pain, grossness and generally riskiness of somewhere like Claires when there is a painless, sterile option available for around the same cost!

Some places even pierce noses with the guns!
SoundDevastation
they're not fine.. the chances of it becoming infected are hugely incresed by getting it done with a gun. The metal they use is steel.. its not the most allergic but some people are. Titanium however is implant grade, its almost completely inert and any good studio will insist on using it.. it is far more expensive in steel, and not available in pretty little studs that fit into guns, which is why claire's dont use it.

If they were decent they would use needles and proper jewellery, not some unsterile device that was originally made for tagging the ears of cattle.

Im hardly being a snob, its just a choice of going to one shop or another... the differences are significant, im just trying to let people know that the choice is there and they should chose the better!

Guns are FINE to use!!!! They actually are. If they were ethically invalid, they wouldn't use them.
The only problem with guns in other places is that when you use a gun, it doesn't remove the skin, so that can cause infection. With needles, it removes the skin. But as I said, that's with other places. And that's why you can't have cartilage, septum, lip, and whatever else with a gun. It's ILLEGAL to use it anywhere other than a lobe, but it's legal to use it on the lobe.

God, you clearly know nothing about piercing.
While we're discussing ears and Claire's Accessories...

I used to love buying earrings from there when I was younger, and admittedly have some pretty stuff from there. However, a lot of the jewellery isn't that well-made - I had some dangly earrings from there, and the findings [the bit that goes through your ear] were sharp at the end, as if they'd been cut with wire cutters, but not filed or anything. They messed with my ears a bit, because they snagged on my skin as I put them in. Not nice.
The majority of their stuff is wearable, but watch out for dodgy findings.
jovana

no, its NOT SAFE. piercing guns can NOT be properly sterilized!!!! they can not be autoclaved which is the ONLY way to insure clenliness and that it kills all the microscopic little things that can cause disease and infection.

also at a reputable piercing shop the jewlery is also autoclaved. at claires it is not. you are having a wound made to your body in unsterile enviroment, with unsterile jewlery, and an unsterile gun. this is being done by a person who has never taken a course controlling blood born pathogens...something that piercers take. the risks are not worth it. go to google and do even a small amount of research on the negative ramifications and issues with piercing guns.

studs are also not fine. they are fine for wearing, but at claires / with guns in general, the stud is forced through the ear. this casuses blunt trauma. a needle on the other hand causes much less trauma by slicing rather then just punching through. with lobe piercings you may not have major issues from this except more pain and longer healing time. however, with cartilige you are putting yourself at high risk for keyloiding (those big ugly bumpy growths) or even the possible collapse of the cartilidge.

Claires have passed health checks. (:
If they were a problem, they'd have been closed down.

I know a lot about piercing, I do not need to be told what happens when you use a gun/needle.
& I have already said that you shouldn't with cartilage, so why you just said that, I do not know.

To sum my view up: It is fine to be pierced at Claires, other places are better, yes. But Claires is not a problem.
Reply 46
SuicideCommando
Claires have passed health checks. (:
If they were a problem, they'd have been closed down.

I know a lot about piercing, I do not need to be told what happens when you use a gun/needle.
& I have already said that you shouldn't with cartilage, so why you just said that, I do not know.

To sum my view up: It is fine to be pierced at Claires, other places are better, yes. But Claires is not a problem.

a lot of places pass health checks and people still end getting mrsa or diseases. no one who knows a lot (or anything) about piercing would suggest that claire's and guns are acceptable. guns are safe for lobes in theory(besides the longer healing / more painful issues) but in practice they cannot be sterilized, the enviroment is unsterile, and the piercers are just shop girls, not trained professionals who know anything about blood born pathogens. if this is a risk you want to take with your body then fine, but its a bit shameless to advocate it and say its an ok thing. do a bit of research into piercing guns. its not right at all to advocate putting oneself at higher risk for disease or infection, which is exactly what a gun offers over a reputable piercing shop.
Reply 47
Well, I think I'm going to go with the general consensus and go somewhere else. I thought claires would be the easiest option but it also seems the most dangerous.
Thanks guys
Reply 48
SuicideCommando
It's ILLEGAL to use it anywhere other than a lobe, but it's legal to use it on the lobe.

God, you clearly know nothing about piercing.

hi pot. i'm kettle. you're black.

no, its not illegal. its frequent in cartilidge, ear cartilidge in particular. this is done at claires in the uk without an issue. and i know in some places they are used on the nose. i don't think at claires, but i know its done.
Reply 49
info for those that don't know how to google:

http://www.homiegfunk.com/gunssuck.htm

http://tattoo.about.com/cs/psafety/a/piercing_guns.htm

http://www.nextbody.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3925

"You cannot sterilize a piercing gun without destroying it. Steam sterilization requires 12 minutes of exposure to raw steam at 250 degrees Fahrenheit. Piercing guns have plastic parts. Cold sterilization requires 10 hours exposure in 2% glutehaldyride that would not only eat the viruses and the gun but also expose the worker to toxic fumes. Antibacterial Fantastic is as good as it gets people, and that won’t even dent the stuff on the cutting board in your kitchen. There is not a substance in the world that will destroy Hep-B, Hep-C, Mono, Tuberculosis, Anthrax, or a host of other viruses simply by wiping it off. If there were, every Doctor, Dentist, Vet, Hospital, Acupuncturist, Electrolysist, Piercer, and Tattoo Artist in the world would be using it [rubbing alcohol or antibacterial solution] because it costs a lot of time and money to kill viruses."
I went and got mine done at claires when I was about 10, and I had no problems at all. But when I went to highschool i wasnt allowed to wear them so they closed up. I went to a place where they do nails and stuff in my town centre [so not a proper piercer, but they knew what they where doing and do other piercings too] and that was fine. I only went there because I didn't want to sit in the window of claires for all to oggle at. Saying that though, reading what people said on here, I wouldn't think of going there again.
Reply 51
I got my lobes done at Claire's with my mum when I was 7. when the girl was doing my right ear, she couldn't push the earring all the way through the first time so she had to try again, only it turned out she didn't pierce it in exactly the same place... meaning that the hole in my right ear was almost twice the size of the hole in my left ear.

a few weeks later I started complaining that my right earlobe was hurting. my mum had a look and the butterfly back had disappeared. turned out because the piercing hole was so big and the earring stem was barely long enough, the butterfly back had been swallowed INTO the hole in my earlobe.

my mum removed it and cleaned my ear up, and we went to the doctor's the next day to check it wasn't infected. 12 years on my earlobe piercings are fine and I haven't had any other problems, but I would still be very wary of Claire's.
I would never have a piercing done at Claires mainly becaus I wouldn't want to sit in a shop window having loads of people watching me.

I had my ears pierced at a jewellers when I was about 9 and one of the ears developed something like a blood blister over the butterfly thing on the back. It was really painful and I had to take out the earrings and let my ears heel over. I went back to the same place a coupel of years later though and everything was fine. I would never get a piercing now, even my ears because I'm a wimp. The only reason I have them pierced now was because I was a little girl desperate for pierced ears.
Reply 53
I got the top of my ear done for about £14 in Claires. I fainted straight after :s-smilie:
don't do it at claires...find somewhere a bit more reputable

got mine done at selfridges :yep:... although that was good 14 years ago :p:
Reply 55
I had my cartlidge done at Claire's just because it took a lot of courage for me to get it done and it was the closest place. It was 7/8 years ago now.

I've had friends work there before and I don't think I'd want it done there now if I were to have another piercing.
Nathann
Does anyone know how much it costs to have your earlobe pierced at claires accessories?
Thanks

I got my ears pierced at claire's and it cost £26 because I had it pierced with silver, there was a much cheaper option. But I was 8. My sisters all went for the cheaper option when they turned 8, and they all had issues with their piercings for about 10 months and both had to get them repierced eventually. Although mine were fine, I wouldn't recommend going to claire's, but you might be lucky and it might be fine.

on the subject of claire's, does anyone know if they sell fake eyelashes? not the natural looking ones, but crazy ones with feathers and stuff. does anyone know where I can get some?
I had mine done there years ago and I never had any problems
Reply 58
DON'T DO IT AT CLAIRE'S.
I had mine done there and I had SO many problems.
One of my holes is slightly crooked and they are really unsafe.

Go to a jewellers and get it done properly.
Reply 59
everyone is commenting on jewellers. why are they better?

Latest

Trending

Trending