The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Erm your local council sets the council tax every year. The amount of tax you pay depends on how much your council, and certain other public bodies in your area, need to spend on services and how much money they get from elsewhere.

i found this website which might help also : http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/students/if_i_take_a_gap_year_9_6.htm
Reply 2
could you not claim the tax back, i'm in a similar situation with a gap year job and was under the impression that you could claim the tax back. :s
Using your gap year to work in the United Kingdom
If you plan to work in the UK in your gap year then we will treat you like any other person who works. You will be liable to pay tax and National Insurance contributions if you earn enough.

looks like i gotta hand em over 950 then :frown: grr... there goes my balenciaga :cry:
Reply 4
Council tax isn't income tax.

But either way, on your gap year you're not a student so you pay both regardless.
Reply 5
I thought that if you stayed at home only one party has to pay council tax (i.e. one of your parents?).
Reply 6
£950 in council tax?

Blimey, that's steep!
dani2511
I thought that if you stayed at home only one party has to pay council tax (i.e. one of your parents?).

:dontknow: they never said that

OnlyMe!
£950 in council tax?

Blimey, that's steep!

:sadnod: i know (it's per annum btw)... my dad has to pay £1400 and something :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Yes, I know it's per annum...but my point is: I hate the fact that tax, in all its various and many forms, is too high.
Reply 9
Do you live at home with your parents or in your own accom?

Latest