The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi Shelly,
I do! but only just. they were going to drop it but myself and 2 other girls managed to persuade the school. =) heehee
I'm doing my personal study on Van Gogh at the mo - really good fun (only us lot would say that won't we? heehee) I've applied for Nottingham too! x

ps. are we all girls here? does anyone know of any boys applying?
I don't know any, no! Funny isn't it- the HoA is dominated by men, but mostly women choose to study it..

Nottingham looks beautiful, I just watched a really pretentious video of the University Park on their website... ahhh :smile:
Reply 62
hey, Shelly! welcome to our thread! i am applying to UCL too! most of us here actually are! id really recommend you to apply to courtauld, although they want AAB/AAA. it is a lovely uni!

i do Art history by the way, its great fun and a lot of work as well. and unfortunately the subject is very underrated:frown:what did you get in your AS?

PS: ti russkaja?:smile:

bella
x
Reply 63
NO BOYS... sadly .. sigh
Reply 64
Lol... what subject isn't dominated by men for now? I think it might have something to do with the time period in which the current batch of established art historians were educated. Pretty sure it'll be changing though.

xD HoA is a pretty girly subject, IMO. My friends always tell me that only the weird guys do art - and even though its a nasty inaccurate generalization, I can kind of see where they are coming from LOL.

I am resigned to become an old maid.
the only guy i know who has studied History of Art is my mum's cousin but he did it on a whim and then he soon dropped out.

It does seem strange though that even my text books are all written by men too. Where are all the male art history students?? lol x
Hey Bella, only slightly Russian.. I didn't really know what 'flag' was all about when I joined but I think I'll leave it, makes a nice change. You might have guessed from my username that I actually live in London :smile:
Do you study Russian?

I know how you mean about AS HoA being 'underrated'- a lot of people see it as a soft option but it's definitely the one with the biggest work load for me at least! I got an A at AS, so hopefully I'll manage to match that this year!

That's a good point mewqy about the time they were educated. Give it 30 or so years and it'll be us lot.
Come to think of it, an ex of mine (male, I assure) is taking HoA at UCL. He'll be in his final year when enroll, so that's a set back for me from there...
Hello everyone!

I'm a 'MALE' applying for Histoy of Art. Hahaha - if I do get an offer does that mean I'll be drowning in oestrogen!!

I find it rather dispiriting that I have recieved no interviews, let alon offers yet...oh dear!!!

My application is rather an odd one...I moved to Eton College for sixth form on a scolarhsip programme to further my acadmeic potential, and was excited to take Art History there, as I had always been interested in art. However, form an early age I was pushed into medicine by parental pressure, hence my rather scientific A-levels. I received two offers for medicne last year (Edinburgh and St Andrews), though turned them down, and have decided to do it all again, but for History of Art. Although my combination of subjects might not be perfect, I did get 600/600 in the History of Art A level, and have sent in some interesting written work. I sent in a clasroom essay on the formation of the Neo-Classical style, and my coursework project on why Jackson Pollock found the drip style, and whether his art was politicallly inspired. In my personal statement I have discussed the interplay between Science and Art, and have shown that my scientific abilities will make me a better Art Historian....I am also learning French at the moment. Do you think my A-levels will hinder me. Also great to see that other Cambridge applicant for Art History! Which colleges are you all applying to? I'm Corpus Christi, and I am also applying for the Courtauld (no word since I sent off my questionnaire and written work), Edinburgh, Bristol and St Andrews.

Good luck to everyone!! I'm incredibly nervous - I check my UCAS track every other minute!

Amrou
Reply 68
shelly, yeah i do study russian. more precisely, i did - i lived in st.petersburg for several years so i had to learn it!

amrou, i cannot actually believe that you are a MALE who wants to study art history. i mean ... i have a male friend who went to Courtauld, but thats a big exception considering how 'girly' the subject is. i am applying to magdalene, cambridge. PS: im sure your subjects are fine, the fact that you got 600 shows that your essay technique is incredible! one of the best art historian either had their first degrees in sciences or were scholarly trained in sciences (like Robert Hughes in biology).
im really impressed that you got full marks for all your papers (even Ways of Seeing!). i got 288 in my AS. did you find A2 harder?

BY THE WAY, great news: i got a interview invitation today! i will have 2 inteviews with 4 interviewers, and one of them is the master of the college! im already nervous!!

bella
x
Hey there Bella thanks!! Congrats on your interview thats fantasitc :smile:. In fact Martin Kemp, the former Dean of Art History of Oxford studied Natural Sciences at Cambridge University before studying History of Art - he's the writer of the famouse 'The Science of Art,' which I have read. He discussed the sciene of perspective and colour theory - it's really amazing.

Hmmm...although the A2 requires more depth, and alot more historical knowledge, I actually found it easier, because I had already developed a fairly strong set of analytical and historical skills...and I found it more foccused and interesting, and I was therefore more interested in writing the essays.

Good luck with your interviews

x
Reply 70
Hi guys!

I’ve applied to Leeds, Manchester, Edinburgh, Sussex and UEA
Got offers from Manchester, Sussex and UEA
But my first choice is Leeds…anxiously waiting for them to invite me to interview! Please please please
I got all A AS Levels but I decided not to do Oxbridge. Out of curiosity, those applying to Oxford…what did you like about it? I was really put off by the tiny department and the fact that it hasn’t really made a reputation for itself yet even though it’s Oxford. Whereas at Leeds I like totally fell in love with everything about the department and I’m in awe of Grizelda Pollock.
Also I’ve not applied to the London ones cos I live there and I’m bored of it, but I think the Courtauld would be amazing for doing postgrad. Have you seen the library?! I also didn’t apply for most of the posh ones eg. Bristol because its such a posh subject and I go to state school and live in south London and want to be able to mix with all sorts not just white upper middle class rich girls yknow? Also I don’t plan on working anywhere near an auction house in the future so studying the more traditional history of art isn’t really important to me. I more wanna learn about feminist art, African art, installation art etc. and learn more social history behind it all really….Having said that I want to study Greek vases, the Renaissance, Medieval cathedrals and all that stuff too.

anyone else wondering where all the history of art applicants are...like apparently i'm the only person at my school to apply for hoa in years and I only know one other person applying for it. but its such a good subject! like i swear its not that dissimilar from doing english yet that is what practically all my friends want to do.
Reply 71
You know. I'm starting to get worried. Please tell me not everyone who applied for HoA are straight A students lol. :x The competition sounds so stiff.

TSR isn't representative of the general population, is it? o.o
Reply 72
mmmm I think hoa applicants tend to be quite academic and do usually have high predicted grades but universities are normally more concerned about whether you show a real interest for their subject and usually they realise that you're still clever if you're getting Bs. My offers so far have all been ABB so yeah. Also numbers of history of art applicants are going down so its a lot less competitive than english for example.
Reply 73
Ahaha don't worry I'm a 'white middle-class private school' girl and I'm no waaaay a straight A student. Predicted BBB but already got 2 offers and an interview so nobody seems to really mind :biggrin:

x
Reply 74
Cath0123
I'm a 'white middle-class private school' girl

not that i've got anything against that! i'm white middle class myself just yknowwww there are other people out there init
Hey Lucy, I personally don't think that you should not have applied to some really strong universities, (where it sounds like with your grades and passion), that you would propably get in, because they are 'posh.' Most universities are actively trying to rid themselves of this stereotype (especially Oxbridge), and I think you'd find that most students in your position are worried of the same thing, but end up finding that this is simply a myth. With Cambridge for example, I think there are more state school students than independent school students, and I think most people are united by their intelligence and love for their subject. I know it may seem rather useless that I'm saying this (especially since I'm from Eton :p:), but my brother for example is at Bristol, at Wills Hall (which is supposed to be the poshest of them all!), and he says that everyone is down to earth etc...

I don't want to have a go at you about your choices (because it sounds like you've really thought about them), but just hope you didn't miss out on being happy at another university, because you were worried it was too 'posh.'

No offence intended though!

Amrou x
Reply 76
Oh no. I think I'm the only one who hasn't sent off the Courtauld questionnaire yet. Sigh. I keep putting off doing it. And I'm not a 'white middle class private school girl'. I'm yellow. :biggrin: And er... state-school equivalent, I suppose. Although there's not really such a distinction here. I'm middle class too, I suppose. But then again such a distinction doesn't make that much of a difference here. Does it really matter so much in the UK? o.o

And wow, amrou! I've always admired people who can handle both the arts and the sciences. I can breeze through my arts subjects, but math has been a real challenge for me. I hardly think they will disregard your application on account of your subjects. You sound like a very promising applicant to me! But good luck anyway!

Objectively, my Cambridge interview was a pretty good experience, despite how my interviewer expressed her concern that I know nothing about art history. :x My application will be considered by Robinson, if you're interested in knowing. To be honest, my chances aren't very fantastic. I can only pray for good news in January. I recently spent $200 on art history titles lol... shall try and appear less ignorant from now on. :x
Reply 77
Hey Amrou
Yeah I think i was in a bit of a preachy mood when i made that post. i came across a liiittle bit too angry. And I'd hate to think I was encouraging stereotypes by rejecting the stereotypially 'posh' universities. Although I would just like to point out that yes I'm sure Cambridge is predominantly state school but that isnt the issue, its the fact that private schools make up 7% of schools, yet I think its quite a bit bigger a statistic at Cambridge. But thennn you can argue, well private schools have entrance exams and what about all the bursery and scholarship kids etc etc. I do sociology, god i hate it.
Annnyway actually I think I'm doing a good thing for the other less 'posh' unis cos I'm from a ridiculous family of Oxfordians and I think I had a few too many links to the university so if I had got in I would have been encouraging the elitism they want to get rid of. Yeah so I obviously couldn't apply to Cambridge because all I ever hear at Xmas is how good Oxford is blah blah also have you seen Cambridge? Not exactly nightclub central. My aunt who is a lecturer at Courtauld basically discouraged me going to Oxford for hoa because, well it aint the best. (She did say Cambridge was good though so good luck with getting in Amrou, mewyqu etc) Bristol I thought the course sounded just a bit pants really at the open day they said something like "We've just started to look into more modern mediums. We recently started a photography module"
I just think sometimes said universities rely a bit too much on their reputation.
Hahahaha I suppose Cambridge isn't night club central, though since I went to boarding school, and live in London, I'd class myself as a bit of an extremist. By that I mean when I was at scool it was all work and no play, and in London it was the other way around. I have seen Cambridge a number of times, and I fell in love with the place. I mean the course and the tutors as kick ass, and I want to go there solely for academic purposes. Yeah the Oxford course is not great, and I hate how small the department is. The University obviously just think its a bit of an 'experimental' subject, which sucks, because to me its incredibl important...though I'm biased!! In regards to Cambridge's lack of nightclubs, well there's always London on the weekends, and I'm sure there are loads of fun stuff to do anyway!! Hehe...anyone got anything yet? I've still got nada! No interviews...no offers...:woo:
Reply 79
lucy_
Hi guys!

I’ve applied to Leeds, Manchester, Edinburgh, Sussex and UEA
Got offers from Manchester, Sussex and UEA
But my first choice is Leeds…anxiously waiting for them to invite me to interview! Please please please
I got all A AS Levels but I decided not to do Oxbridge. Out of curiosity, those applying to Oxford…what did you like about it? I was really put off by the tiny department and the fact that it hasn’t really made a reputation for itself yet even though it’s Oxford. Whereas at Leeds I like totally fell in love with everything about the department and I’m in awe of Grizelda Pollock.
Also I’ve not applied to the London ones cos I live there and I’m bored of it, but I think the Courtauld would be amazing for doing postgrad. Have you seen the library?! I also didn’t apply for most of the posh ones eg. Bristol because its such a posh subject and I go to state school and live in south London and want to be able to mix with all sorts not just white upper middle class rich girls yknow? Also I don’t plan on working anywhere near an auction house in the future so studying the more traditional history of art isn’t really important to me. I more wanna learn about feminist art, African art, installation art etc. and learn more social history behind it all really….Having said that I want to study Greek vases, the Renaissance, Medieval cathedrals and all that stuff too.

anyone else wondering where all the history of art applicants are...like apparently i'm the only person at my school to apply for hoa in years and I only know one other person applying for it. but its such a good subject! like i swear its not that dissimilar from doing english yet that is what practically all my friends want to do.

hey lucy,

I applied to Oxford because I was inspired by the Dons and that alone. Sure, th dept. is tiny, but I honestly feel that its not about the room, its about what happens in those rooms that will bring the course to life. I went home after the open day and began to research the Dons and they truly are leading art historians world-wide.

Furthermore, lets be honest: where else can you get the tutorials and supervisions that Oxford can provide? where else can you be more inspired by the abundance of gifted minds?

Katie x

Latest