The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Letter for me! Posted on the 20th x
Reply 101
katiebaby - yep, they always send you letters via post. its seems more formal i guess. maybe they are also proud of their individual college stamps :wink: magdalene one is quite simple!
Reply 102
amrou
Do you think the interview is going to be predominately abstract, discussing us through ideas we have never thought about, or more to do with the art and books we have discussed in our P.S? x

i talked to several people about interviews, they say that one interviewer almost always asks you about your A2 coursework, topics you, books you read studied etc. the other interview is more about abstract things and tricky challenging questions. they might show you 2 reproductions and ask you to compare and contrast them.

what makes you say that they will prefer me?! they will take us both, im sure! not that many people who apply to cambridge are that enthusiastic. most of them apply just for the sake of uni than course! i should be more concerned about competition than you - im not a native speaker afterall! and i cant draw! and i play with my rings instead of having eye contact with interviewers!! so... :p:

are there any books youd recommend i read?

x
Hi guys. Do you think I'd have more chances to study the history of ancient art (mesopotamian, grecoroman...) in Classics w/Orientals or in History of Art? I'm torn between these two.

I'd love to do classics - especially classical art with grecoroman literature, but not so much with history/philosophy.

the same is with history of art - I'd love the whole part from prehistory, already up to the renaissance, but nothing after that. :frown:

Please try to help me...

xoxo
Reply 104
I've applied for English and History of Art at Leeds, Birmingham, Nottingham, Leicester and York. Got offers from York and Leicester so far:]]
The course sounds amazing:]]x
Reply 105
enthusiast
Hi guys. Do you think I'd have more chances to study the history of ancient art (mesopotamian, grecoroman...) in Classics w/Orientals or in History of Art? I'm torn between these two.

I'd love to do classics - especially classical art with grecoroman literature, but not so much with history/philosophy.

the same is with history of art - I'd love the whole part from prehistory, already up to the renaissance, but nothing after that. :frown:

Please try to help me...

xoxo

If you want to study that kind of stuff you should apply to SOAS - they have a whole load of modules around ancient art and oriental/african/aboriginal art history.
Cambridge interviews are very hard. The analysis test is very do-able but they really go in depth with your books and you are competing for 1-2 places for 1 college on avarage. They were about 30 competing for 2 places when i applied. Don't read simple books but proper academic ones and know them through and through. This is not about basic art history knowledge (although they say you dont need it at a level) but picking out certain artists and discussing their work. Be prepared to discuss museums you have visited and to talk about current affairs in art (I suggest you read the times art supplement or something). For the analysis test make sure you know the jargon used to give a formal analysis
Im applying again this year but not to Oxbridge.
Don't read simple books but proper academic ones and know them through and through.

As a fellow Oxbridge reject, now in my final year at York, I'm afraid I don't agree. As for any other subject, HoA admissions tutors are looking for your academic potential. They will very quickly move the interview on from what you do know and are comfortable with, to areas that show how you think on your feet. This is because so much of Oxbridge teaching is based on the small group tutorial/supervision (less for HoA than some other humanities subjects).

Rather than spend time trying to memorise and regurgitate books, I'd recommend a very slim book by Marcia Pointon called 'History of Art: A Student's Handbook'. it gives you a framework with which to question any object/reproduction they put in front of you. I'm not saying it's bad to read around the subject, if a particular topic interests you, but it isn't what will get you an offer. Look in the Oxbridge forum and you'll see this topic crops up frequently for History and English too.

If i had one regret about my interview, it was not having a practice interview with someone beforehand. I simply wasn't used to talking to strangers about my thought process. To some extent, that's one of the skills that any good uni will develop in you.

Good luck
Reply 108
RadiantJewel
Cambridge interviews are very hard. The analysis test is very do-able but they really go in depth with your books and you are competing for 1-2 places for 1 college on avarage. They were about 30 competing for 2 places when i applied. Don't read simple books but proper academic ones and know them through and through. This is not about basic art history knowledge (although they say you dont need it at a level) but picking out certain artists and discussing their work. Be prepared to discuss museums you have visited and to talk about current affairs in art (I suggest you read the times art supplement or something). For the analysis test make sure you know the jargon used to give a formal analysis
Im applying again this year but not to Oxbridge.

I am so dead if this were the case. I didn't know any artist/art works in-depth, much less formal analysis. My interview was very very very introducing-art-history-ish, but then it might just be how its done overseas. However, I think RadiantJewel has a point - my interviewer explicitly expressed her concern over how I don't know anything about art history (and also explicitly told me this took off alot of marks. ;_; ) so you probably don't want to end up looking like a complete loser like I did.

Also, I had a test - the TSA. Then for my essay question... well, let's just say it really had very little to do with formal analysis or anything really hardcore art history-ish.

From my (very limited) experience, I'd agree with the bit on current affairs in art and the visiting museums thing. Do think about the exhibits you've seen and what you liked or didn't like about them. I don't think I'm supposed to reveal too many details here, but I think this is sound advice!

I'll just prepare myself for a rejection now... ;_;
I am applying to cambridge and have read some books but have not done HoA at school - not available - will they expect me to know less or is it more about your teaching potential than knowledge? interview monday 8th, i am so scared!

I am applying to cambridge and have read some books but have not done HoA at school - not available - will they expect me to know less or is it more about your teaching potential than knowledge? interview monday 8th, i am so scared!

I hadn't done HoA either for the same reason. I think my post 2 above yours answers your question, although my experience is Oxford not Cambridge based:

As a fellow Oxbridge reject, now in my final year at York, I'm afraid I don't agree. As for any other subject, HoA admissions tutors are looking for your academic potential. They will very quickly move the interview on from what you do know and are comfortable with, to areas that show how you think on your feet. This is because so much of Oxbridge teaching is based on the small group tutorial/supervision (less for HoA than some other humanities subjects).

Rather than spend time trying to memorise and regurgitate books, I'd recommend a very slim book by Marcia Pointon called 'History of Art: A Student's Handbook'. it gives you a framework with which to question any object/reproduction they put in front of you. I'm not saying it's bad to read around the subject, if a particular topic interests you, but it isn't what will get you an offer. Look in the Oxbridge forum and you'll see this topic crops up frequently for History and English too.

If i had one regret about my interview, it was not having a practice interview with someone beforehand. I simply wasn't used to talking to strangers about my thought process. To some extent, that's one of the skills that any good uni will develop in you.

I was terrified too before I got there. I actually enjoyed the experience of being "at Oxford" for a couple of days with bright, interesting people. I even quite enjoyed the interview experience.

It's so easy to build up the whole Oxbridge thing as if it's the end of the world if you don't get in. Think of it as just one of your five choices. If you are predicted 3 As and have a decent PS, you are also almost certain to get offers from your other unis. For what it's worth, my tutor taught HoA at Cambridge for 5 years and reckons students get a much better deal at York.

Wherever you end up, you'll have a great time and amazing academic experience. HoA is a fantastic subject, so be glad you're one of the lucky few who have decided to apply and don't stress about the application process.
Reply 111
i applied to courtauld, cambridge, ucl and goldsmiths
just wondering if everybody has got the questionnaire from courtauld already?
I got that on the 20th of October, and had my interview today! I thinks have loads of interview dates though.
Got an offer from the Courtauld this morning :eek:, and an offer from Bristol yesteday! :smile: Am soo happy! Bring on Cambridge now! God I'm nervous!
Reply 114
Got an invitation to interview from UCL!

Although there's no way I can attend it LOL.
Reply 115
congrats on your offer, amrou! its really impressive! how did your interview go? and when did you send your questionnaire? i havent heard from courtauld since i sent it!

atan 2, whens your cambridge interview? ps: dont worry about lack of knowledge, they say guys who havent done hoa in the past end up being better art historians!

Persephone, wife to Hades, my interview is also on the 8th! which college did you choose?
Hey there Bella! Interview went pretty well I think! It got harder and harder as it went along, but the questions seemed pretty tailored to my interests, and to be honest it was just a really interesting discussion about topics in Art History which fascinated me! I sent my questionnaire mid November, and got called for interview on the 1st of December (2 days before the interview)! Don't worry though, they've got tons of interview dates :smile:! Cambridge interview on the 12th - I'm really nervous but more excited really!!! How are you feeling about it all? x
Reply 117
hi bella, cambridge interview on the 8th. i didn't do great at AS HOA, but I think it will be ok. what kind of thing have you been doing to prepare?
Reply 118
atan2, oh same day as my interview! which college have you aplied to? who are your interviewers? my preparation involves mostly reading and watching dvds about artists. but they say its impossible to predict questions, so i dont think there is a right way to preparare - its the matter of luck!

amrou, im excited myself! and so nervous....
Reply 119
magdalene. dr robinson, dr hamlett, dr oldfield and dr fox. i'm nervous!

Latest

Trending

Trending