The Student Room Group

Indecisiveness - feel stupid

Hi, I'm afraid I'm one of those people who posts ten posts a day (not literally) on 'should I do this' and can end up not knowing what I want to do 90% of the time. However, please hear me out.

I'm predicted good grades, and my teachers are all behind me to go to Oxford. In the summer, I wanted to study Maths at university, and then changed to Civil Engineering, sending my UCAS form off last Tuesday, including Oxford, although I'm not 100% I'd enjoy it there (boredom!).

I've suddenly hit a rut and for some reason whenever I hear the mention of the term 'engineering' or 'engineer' I get a tide of guilt over me as if it's really not what I want to do.

If I did a degree in Engineering, I'd most likely go into Town Planning, and to my knowledge you can go into this with Engineering or indeed any related degree. Although I'm not 100% I'd enjoy an Engineering Degree, perhaps it'd be a better use of my skills? As opposed to something like Geography/Town Planning/, or even Mathematics. Asking for my application back would mean I can't apply to Oxford, but it would mean that I could apply for something more fun?

Would asking for it back be a stupid decision I'd regret? Please reply soon! :p:
Reply 1
I think its too late to change your application. You can't apply for something else this year. You are similar to me... I am regretting my decision in what I have applied for as I know deep down I know what I want to apply for what I want to do with my life but due to circumstances i decided that I shouldn't continue with it. I have sent it off now so everything is too late.

However, have you thought about a gap year? If you feel by the end of this year you still regret your decision then maybe take a gap year to apply for something else? Lots of things change in a year. See if you get any offers and then decide if you want to do engineering in the end. There is a possibility that you pull back now and then think to yourself actually engineering is what you want to do.
Reply 2
True, as long as I don't spend the gap year bumming around it should go fine :wink: besides, there's always clearing as a last-ditch resort

Latest

Trending

Trending