The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Not everyone gets interviewed, no. It's mostly competitive courses that have interviews. Most of the time the success of the application relies on the personal statement/reference/predicted grades. I'm not too sure about international students, though.
Reply 2
do you know if only competitive applicants get interview? IE, only the people with a real chance get an interview? thanks!
Reply 3
some interviews are totally random, some may just want to get to know you more... some are competitive especially law. And some just maybe want to make sure your the right person i had an interview didnt go and still got a place.
Most schools don't interview, unless you're applying for Medicine or Oxbridge. For Oxbridge, it's up to the colleges to decide whether they want to offer you an interview - from my understanding, most Cambridge applicants are offered one since it gives the Admissions tutor another tool of evaluation, however for Oxford, they're more selective with interviews.

Interviews don't necessarily mean you have a "real chance" - the applicant pool is probably at a really high level so the interview would help tutors decide who to reject, give offers etc..
Reply 5
thanks. I have been given an interview at oxford- but their website said that over 75 percent of applicants get an interview... so i'm guessing that getting an interview doesn't mean much
It depends where the interview is from.

For Oxford and Cambridge, it's part of a rigorous selection process and is no real indicator as to whether or not you're in - it just means you're under consideration. In that respect it's very important - the test after the qualifiers that are your UCAS application.

For somewhere like Manchester, however, I've read that it's more of an informal chat, and that they (quoted from another thread) "only really interview people that they're definitely going to give an offer". In that respect it's more so that they can meet you, and the hard part is almost done, so long as you don't make a really bad impression during the interview.

There's a third type of interview after that - the ones where you don't get one. :P

In your case, by the way, I'd say as it's from Oxford it means you're under consideration, and have the chance - it's up to you to take advantage of it.

Latest

Trending

Trending