The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Havard beats Oxford imo

never heard of the other two -.-
Harvard Is Number 1 In The World Son
Thing is, America is soo expensive... personally I would pick Oxford because it has more history and really old traditions. Maybe Harvard is better though? considering how much money it gets.
Reply 4
havard trumps oxford
oxford and cambridge trumps Yale
And all the other ivy league schools plus stanford trump the other UK unis.
other than maybe LSE
Reply 5
When it comes to top institutions - they are incredibly competitive.

When it comes to other institutions such as state universities, the standard of learning tends to be lower than that of most institutions in the UK.
My university can beat up your university.
Reply 7
leaw5
havard trumps oxford
oxford and cambridge trumps Yale
And all the other ivy league schools plus stanford trump the other UK unis.
other than maybe LSE

:nah:
Reply 8
Anywhere in the world, a Harvard degree is preferred over an Oxbridge degree any day.
Reply 9
People are idiots in this thread:
Firstly Oxbridge and Harvard are very different institutions but both are incredibly well respected. No one is going to offer a job to you simply because Harvard>Oxford or vice versa. There are some benefits to both (for instance at Oxbridge you get a lot more personal attention from fellows than you ever would at Harvard). They are also good at different things: you would almost certainly want to go to Oxford to study Engineering than Harvard. The league tables tend to put Harvard top but take them with a pinch of salt - there is a lot they can't capture as all of them recognize.

Secondly ivy>state is wrong. State universities Michigan, Wisconsin, UCLA, Berkeley all hold their own with all the ivies (you also completely forgot about MIT & Chicago amongst others). The ivies are excellent but they aren't necessarily the best institutions in the world. Each one of these universities has a huge number of areas of speciality (UPenn has a great business school, Wisconsin and Michigan are huge receivers of research funds, the californian system has a wide number of strengths, Princeton and Brown are known for their excellent undergraduate education).

Comparing Britain to the US is tough but a number of British universities do hold their own. Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial are all excellent universities for instance. Other British universities have world class departments as well - they might not be able to match universities in the states in every department but that means squat. People get obsessed with ranks when actually very few people in academia care that much
Reply 10
i have researched this for some time; the uk studies normally put it:
1) Harvard
2/3) Oxbridge
4) Yale
5) Imperial

however, more realistically there is a big blur after Harvard.

For example, UC Berkeley is tied best for the place to do English in USA, and studies show it to be better in general humanitarian and arts subjects (such as English) than the likes of Oxford -> http://www.topuniversities.com/worlduniversityrankings/results/2008/subject_rankings/arts_humanities/

However, it all varies from subject to subject.

But to answer the original question Harvard is considered the most prestigious place to go to uni in the world. Full stop.

Period.
harryj0

But to answer the original question Harvard is considered the most prestigious place to go to uni in the world. Full stop.

Period.

But is that for undergraduate or graduate or both? If one were to have an undergrad degree from Harvard but a graduate degree from a place like Penn or Columbia or Berkeley, would that look like a massive step down in the UK?

The point is to have a good CV in place to run against the strong competition in London. I am counting work experience in this as well, but I would also like to see where American universities stack up in the UK.

School like Penn, Columbia, Johns Hopkins, are they =, <, > schools like Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE.
Reply 12
With America the girls seem to drool over the accent and there are cultural differences.
aer you saying that girls in the UK like the American accent?
Reply 14
It goes; Harvard, Oxford, Cambridge, Yale - for the top universities in the world
Reply 15
TimeDivided09
I would also like to see where American universities stack up in the UK.

THES Ranking

Reply 16
PlanetTea
It goes; Harvard, Oxford, Cambridge, Yale - for the top universities in the world

Yes, it really is that simple. Firstly most ratings put Oxford behind Cambridge and often put Yale down a few places. And you can't just rank like this: it means **** all
Reply 17
TimeDivided09
But is that for undergraduate or graduate or both? If one were to have an undergrad degree from Harvard but a graduate degree from a place like Penn or Columbia or Berkeley, would that look like a massive step down in the UK?

The point is to have a good CV in place to run against the strong competition in London. I am counting work experience in this as well, but I would also like to see where American universities stack up in the UK.

School like Penn, Columbia, Johns Hopkins, are they =, <, > schools like Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE.

It would not look like a step down if you went to any of those schools for grad school. Firstly in America there is quite a tradition of switching between undergrad and grad. ALl those schools have phenomenal reputations here. FOr instance all three have excellent sociology departments that rate with Harvard (actually Berkeley is a muchh bigger program, has the most cituations and wins the most graduate prizes). All have great business schools, all three have much more prestigious engineering deparmtents.

No one is ever going to say well he has a degree from LSE but this other person has a degree from UPenn so lets take the guy from UPenn or vice versa. At the top levels of universities its not going to matter where you went but what you made of your time there when you apply for jobs. And on this measure no one is going to be the same as another. For instance someone at LSE who gets a first, does lots of work experience and internships, shows leadership and time management skills is going to look better than the Harvard student with a 2.9 GPA, no real extracurriculars and little demonstration of any motivation.

Another everyday example: When I decided who to vote for in elections I don't check out where the candidate went to university and make a decision on this. I go on the candidates intelligence on political matters, similarity to my own views etc. Now it is likely that people from good universities have better intelligence etc but no one makes decisions simply based on that.

Latest

Trending

Trending