The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
N9ne
Which colleges at Cambridge are in the centre and are medium-large sized? (e.g. 350+ undergrads)

I'm looking at various colleges and I'd like to know which ones are in the location I want, so i can save time!

Thanks

I think Downing is. :confused:
Downings quite a big college. medium central ones are Clare, pembroke, christs
Reply 3
Richy Rich$$
Downings quite a big college. medium central ones are Clare, pembroke, christs

okay :smile:
Reply 4
Pretty much all of the old (pre 1700ish) colleges bar Tit Hall and Peterhouse. Downing's a bit of a way out... Caius might be a good choice.
Reply 5
N9ne
Which colleges at Cambridge are in the centre and are medium-large sized? (e.g. 350+ undergrads)

I'm looking at various colleges and I'd like to know which ones are in the location I want, so i can save time!

Thanks

try this http://www.cam.ac.uk/map/v3/drawmap.cgi?mp=main;xx=1900;yy=1040;sx=5;gf=png

(there are buttons in the top left to zoom in and out and arrows to scroll)

Emily x
Reply 6
emily87
try this http://www.cam.ac.uk/map/v3/drawmap.cgi?mp=main;xx=1900;yy=1040;sx=5;gf=png

(there are buttons in the top left to zoom in and out and arrows to scroll)

Emily x

good link :smile:
Reply 7
Christs: 395
Clare: 400
Downing: 409
Emma: 494
Caius: 468
Jesus: 503
Kings: 397
Pem: 382
Queens':490
St Cats: 436
Johns: 570
Trinity: 656
Tit hall: 364

Those are those I'd count as central, and have over 350 undergrads.
Reply 8
Alaric
Christs: 395
Clare: 400
Downing: 409
Emma: 494
Caius: 468
Jesus: 503
Kings: 397
Pem: 382
Queens':490
St Cats: 436
Johns: 570
Trinity: 656
Tit hall: 364

Those are those I'd count as central, and have over 350 undergrads.

do you work for the uni statistics department or something? :eek:

erm, if you want to stay in the centre of cambridge for 3 years, the following colleges are better bets:

johns(?)
catz(?)
queens'
pembroke
king's

as far as i know, all the colleges i left out from alaric's list have undergrad accomodation that is *NOT* in the centre of town and *DO* chuck you out to timbuktu for a year or two out of the three or four you'll be here. though this is not necessarily a bad thing - there aren't all that many lecture sites/faculty sites in the centre of town anyway. (this is strictly subject dependent.)
Reply 9
queens queens!!! big... not too much... guarantee acomodation for the 3 years... has got the mathematical bridge... quite beautiful inside... in the centre... eventually... THE BEST!!!
Reply 10
khl31
do you work for the uni statistics department or something? :eek:

erm, if you want to stay in the centre of cambridge for 3 years, the following colleges are better bets:

johns(?)
catz(?)
queens'
pembroke
king's

as far as i know, all the colleges i left out from alaric's list have undergrad accomodation that is *NOT* in the centre of town and *DO* chuck you out to timbuktu for a year or two out of the three or four you'll be here. though this is not necessarily a bad thing - there aren't all that many lecture sites/faculty sites in the centre of town anyway. (this is strictly subject dependent.)

Errr, I'm avoiding work and happened to have the prospectus next to me.

Catz has St. Chads which is on Grange Road, not exactly Timbuktoo but not bang centre. Kings has garden hostel, again not miles out, but wrong side of Queens road. Johns is so big that their furthest on site accomodation is only a road widths further than Clare Colony (Northampton street into Chesterton Lane)! Queens is def all in the one site, but you might have to share if you go for Fisher building. I don't know about Pembroke in the later years.

Really though, even the Colony or Garden Hostel or St. Chads is hardly far out in any sense at all.

A.
Reply 11
kitsune
queens queens!!! big... not too much... guarantee acomodation for the 3 years... has got the mathematical bridge... quite beautiful inside... in the centre... eventually... THE BEST!!!

:confused: What I don't understand is this: don't all the colleges guarantee 3 year accommodation? :confused:
i thought they did, i think its just that ure not always in the college and ull be in a college owned building.
Reply 13
Adhsur
:confused: What I don't understand is this: don't all the colleges guarantee 3 year accommodation? :confused:

LOL

to asnwer the q...i applied to Christ's for the reason that it is right in the centre (of all colleges possibly the most central) and is of medium size in terms of students (however it is suprisingly larger in terms of land).
Reply 14
I'm pretty sure that all Downing accom is on the college site. (It was one of the reasons I chose it so I hope I'm right!)
Alaric
Errr, I'm avoiding work and happened to have the prospectus next to me.

Catz has St. Chads which is on Grange Road, not exactly Timbuktoo but not bang centre. Kings has garden hostel, again not miles out, but wrong side of Queens road. Johns is so big that their furthest on site accomodation is only a road widths further than Clare Colony (Northampton street into Chesterton Lane)! Queens is def all in the one site, but you might have to share if you go for Fisher building. I don't know about Pembroke in the later years.

Really though, even the Colony or Garden Hostel or St. Chads is hardly far out in any sense at all.

A.

I never knew that St Chads was owned by catz - it looks a bit smelly.

MB
Reply 16
all jesus accomodation is on site or across the road and its fairly central
Reply 17
emily87
I'm pretty sure that all Downing accom is on the college site. (It was one of the reasons I chose it so I hope I'm right!)

Not too sure about that, when there was the lighting up parkers piece campaign last term one of the student rags was suggesting that lots of Downing students had to cross there because they have some college houses down there. As much as I don't like to trust the rags it seems fairly plausible, and it certainly wouldn't be the same kind of distance back to college as Gresham road to Caius is.

A.
khl31

Christ's offers 3/4 year undergraduate accomodation which is all either in college itself or, for some second years, on Jesus Lane or King Street, both of which are very close by, just behind college. The college is very central and the walk from Jesus Lane is about 5 mins.
Reply 19
come to sidney sussex!
join us......

Latest

Trending

Trending