The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Are you doing AS-levels or A levels?
Reply 2
R22S12
Are you doing AS-levels or A levels?

As
The King's foundation course (6 years) takes people with Biology but no Chemistry me thinks.
you could try a foundation entry programme? they usually accomodate for people with only one A level in science
I think a good one to check out is the manchester foundation year programme!
Reply 5
impatient_girl
you could try a foundation entry programme? they usually accomodate for people with only one A level in science
I think a good one to check out is the manchester foundation year programme!

thank you :smile:
ask your school to let you into a chemistry AS and work your arse off. you've lost slightly more than a month but you can still catch up.
Reply 7
yeah i was just going to suggest the kings foundation course, i think there are one or two others simialr at other unis but not a huge amount.

you do an extra year so that the first year can be used to learn the chem you didn't do at A level, but you HAVE to have bio adn i think it has to be an A.

your only other option i guess, would be to start over next year, cash in the AS that you have already, you could carry bio on to A2 and take chem and some other stuff so you'd end up with maybe 3 A2s and 6 AS's? which might help you swing it when your up against people who did it all in two years and have like every science A level?
Reply 8
If you're willing to put in the work for independent study and research, you can register to take the Chemistry AS and A2 exams as a private candidate. Your college may even let you register to take them there, but it's really at their discretion. This isn't a brilliant course of action because of the amount of work involved, but it is possible. Just make sure you use the old syllabus, not one of the ones being brought in this year, as those won't have A2 exams available until the 2009-10 academic year.
Jeez, don't neg me because I tell the truth.
Yes, you could do a foundation program, but they're very oversubscribed.
Are you predicted 2/3 As already? How was your Science and Maths marks at GCSE?
I'm not trying to be nasty, I honestly just think that medicine's a pretty competitive and long subject; I just suppose that it's better that you're aware of that.
:smile:
Honestly, I am a nice person. I wanted to do Medicine, took AS chem for 2 years, still ended up with a C; it's really hard (I got A*A* for science at GSCE) but hey, if you want to go for it, go for it :smile:
Also, you could always have a third year in college to do Chem and another science?
Jess
EDIT: You'll also need to do c/wk for Chem, and there's a high chance that your year will have already done quite a bit (They tend to start you off gently, so to speak) :smile:
Reply 10
QuantumTheory
Jeez, don't neg me because I tell the truth.
Yes, you could do a foundation program, but they're very oversubscribed.
Are you predicted 2/3 As already? How was your Science and Maths marks at GCSE?
I'm not trying to be nasty, I honestly just think that medicine's a pretty competitive and long subject; I just suppose that it's better that you're aware of that.
:smile:
Honestly, I am a nice person. I wanted to do Medicine, took AS chem for 2 years, still ended up with a C; it's really hard (I got A*A* for science at GSCE) but hey, if you want to go for it, go for it :smile:
Also, you could always have a third year in college to do Chem and another science?
Jess
EDIT: You'll also need to do c/wk for Chem, and there's a high chance that your year will have already done quite a bit (They tend to start you off gently, so to speak) :smile:

thank you..

one question though, i would do chemistry after 2 years of college, but do they accept that. i didnt think so?
Reply 11
Jinxy
What happens when

You want to do medicine, not graduate entry. But you only have
Biology at A level and no other science?

Is it possible to sit an exam at another college? It's too late for me to take chemistry at my sixth form now.

If so, how would I do the lessons/work?

Thanks, my current A lvls are biology, english lit, religious studies and history

Go to the first link in my signature and look at the statistics tab along the top. You'll need to sign up but its free and takes about 5 seconds. Then select Chemistry. You will see that UEA and newcastle don't essentially require it. Ontop of that 9 other unis only want As level. Have you considered doing an As-level in chemistry?

If your not preprared to do that then your options are limited to foundation courses or doing a degree, ideally in a related subject like biomedical science and then applying for graduate entry in 3 years if its still what you want to do.

Do ur research :wink:
Reply 12
Jinxy
thank you..

one question though, i would do chemistry after 2 years of college, but do they accept that. i didnt think so?

you obviously don't really want to become a doctor.

You're willing to take a foundation year instead of working hard for a few months to catch up?
You could apply for the places that don't want chemistry ie Durham, Newcastle, UEA and Peninsula...
Kings no longer offer the foundation course...08 entry was the final year they were doing that course
Reply 15
Destiny2006
Kings no longer offer the foundation course...08 entry was the final year they were doing that course

other places still offer foundation courses though don't they?
Jinxy
thank you..

all your a'levels need to be done within 2 years.

the SAME 2 years.

Allowances are made if you do one early, but generally it wont be included in any offers you receive.
i was going to suggest as has been said places that dont want chemistry i know one for example is Peninsula, all they ask for is one science based A level at a grade A
your only in year 12 - you have only missed about 8 weeks? (is that right) - anywho youve only missed 1 half term of work - nothing a **** load of work/possibly a tutor cant solve (i assume they are sitting a module in jan - so late entry fees and all that)

ive seen people join a class later
airtones
other places still offer foundation courses though don't they?

yea they do!!! just kings that doesn't anymore. if you go on ucas course search and type in a104 or foundation medicine it will show you a list of the universities offering that course. best bet is probs to call up the universities and just explain and see what they say. try and start chem if you can..i changed subjects much later and still managed! if you can get a tutor go like 2/3 a week just to build up your confidence knowing taht you are catching up and dont feel like you constantly playing the underdog cos u started later than most people!!

hope all goes well!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending