The Student Room Group

How many hours a week is recommended for A Level?

Scroll to see replies

We were advised that we should spend approx. 10hrs per week on each subject, including lesson time e.g. 5 hrs lessons, 5hrs self study, but I found it was rarely necessary to do that much - I did history, geography, philosophy and biology.

Probably did do approaching that amount for history and philosophy at A2 but that includes extra reading around the subject. More like 2hrs each a week at AS.

In contrast Biology is just straight learning so very minimal - probably often less than an hour a week if you focus in lessons

Geography fluctuated depending on when essays/questions/projects set especially as split between 3 teachers, but probably averaged 2hrs a week.

It will vary greatly depending on the individual though - I got 5As at AS and hope for at least A*A*AA next week on this whereas I know others who worked for hours and hours and would be delighted with Bs
I worked in lunchtimes/ frees and occasionally evenings - tried not to lave any til weekend as I worked all day Sat and aimed for a day off Sunday.
(edited 12 years ago)
it would just depend on the course's content as well.
Reply 42
We were told to do as many hours as we do at college (5 hours a week) homework and background reading per subject and about the same when exams or coursework deadlines are coming up, going over stuff to revise and doing any coursework . . . but to be fair you can get an hour done at lunch and use your free periods wisely, and also my boyfriend has 2 1.5 hour bus rides to school so that's another 3 hours a day out of the way!
(edited 12 years ago)
As someone who has been through both A level years. I'd say do at least 16 hours a week if you want a decent grade (that's approximately 3.5 hours a day outside of class—including college free periods to complete work in)
Original post by Elliethedreamer
As someone who has been through both A level years. I'd say do at least 16 hours a week if you want a decent grade (that's approximately 3.5 hours a day outside of class—including college free periods to complete work in)

That comes up to about 100 hours per week private study if you do four A-levels. That's not necessary outside of exam season.

Quick Reply

Latest