The Student Room Group

Quick Question On Wave Superposition

Hey there

Does destructive superposition only occur when the waves are in antiphase or does it occur when they are just generally out of phase. In other terms, it does it always occur, apart from when the waves are in phase?

Also, does that therefore mean that construcitive superposition only occurs when the waves are in phase? not a smidgeon out?

Thank you, sorry if it's badly worded but thats Physics for you!
Reply 1
I think strictly speaking destructive superposition is only when the two waves are complete opposites and cancel each other out and constructive is when they're exactly in phase, same peaks and troughs.

In between it's just on it's way to either being in or out of phase. I don't think there's a technical term for it. Are you doing a question to do with this, or just wondering?
Reply 2
16 Bananas
I think strictly speaking destructive superposition is only when the two waves are complete opposites and cancel each other out and constructive is when they're exactly in phase, same peaks and troughs.

In between it's just on it's way to either being in or out of phase. I don't think there's a technical term for it. Are you doing a question to do with this, or just wondering?

it's for A-level physics definitions. e.g what's the right way of explaining destructive superposition:

1. Combination of out of phase waves to produce a wave of decreased amplitude.

or

2. Combination of waves in antiphase to produce a wave of decreased amplitude.

Which is more correct? and thank you for the reply
Reply 3
If the two waves are π radians, or 180°, out of phase, then one wave's crests will coincide with another wave's troughs and so will tend to cancel out. The resultant amplitude is A = |A1 − A2|. If A1 = A2, the resultant amplitude will be zero. This is known as destructive interference.

^ This is taken from wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interference

I think it;s the second one you said and after looking at this definition I think it's saying the waves have to be completely out of phase for it to be destructive (in the same way the waves have to be completely in phase for it to be constructive).

Latest