The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
There are too many stairs.
Reply 21
The impression I get is that there are quite a few regulations (especially at older colleges), but most of them make sense somewhat in terms of academia. There is a sense that some items (such as a drinking restriction at college formal dinners at my college last year) belittle us as young adults, but this is why we have JCR's (college-level student unions) that will fight these issues. Taking the drinking restrictions as an example, this year we've managed to get them relaxed to the extent that's it's pretty much a non-issue anymore.

As regards to the social retardedness, I'm sure that happens at every university, except that you wouldn't see those people walking around the streets in those places :P. In any case, I can't imagine that being a bad thing, since it makes me seem even more suave in comparison :biggrin:.
1. The workload is very intense. Seriously intense.
2. We don't get weekends
3. There's no hiding or procrastinating because we have regular small group (max 3) meetings with academics
4. The town is really quite boring once you've gotten over the initial excitement
5. The food is awful and there are limited self-catering facilities
6. Shopping and food are really really expensive because of the tourists
7. We don't get a freshers week, people often get set work in the first 3 days (I was set work on my second day)
8. There are tourists everywhere, you end up having to barge through crowds and be in inadvertant pictures, especially on the Clare bridge

~

I could name another 100 if I could be bothered.
Reply 23
Supergrunch
The holidays are too long.

Well, that correction's very controversial, even for a prescriptive grammarian. Why should the first part of the clause take precedence in determining the case?

I'm working on the assumption that there is more than one 'vacation' a year :p: I'm not sure though! Holidays and vacations are pretty much the same thing afaik, so I'm pretty sure he should have used plurals :p:
It's more because of personal hatred for him that I changed it...not that I hold grudges or anything...and I'm not immature :p:
sadie-kiki
I'm working on the assumption that there is more than one 'vacation' a year :p: I'm not sure though! Holidays and vacations are pretty much the same thing afaik, so I'm pretty sure he should have used plurals :p:
It's more because of personal hatred for him that I changed it...not that I hold grudges or anything...and I'm not immature :p:

No, we are expected to work in the vacation and not to treat it like a holiday. We were explicitly told "the word vacation means to vacate your room, not to stop working".
basically to sum this up, there are more positives than negatives when going to Oxbridge.

/thread
Reply 26
Angelil
ISA: You don't understand until you see it. I saw levels of social retardedness that were absolutely stratospheric, including extremely poor levels of English from internationals who have allegedly passed English tests in order to go to Oxford, 25-year-olds with the social skills of 15-year-olds, and people who don't know how to park bicycles.
And yes, when I said it was difficult to get involved with university activities, I did include the student journalism etc in that. Can't speak for the Union as I was never interested in being a member and was advised by others that the joining cost wasn't worth it.

You strike me as being someone besotted with the Oxford dream, which doesn't much match the reality. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my year there well enough, but more fool you if you've bought into all the shiny advertising. I think you want to go there for all the wrong reasons, and this will only show if you ever have an interview there.

and :ditto: to this :p:
Reply 27
They're out in the middle of nowhere.
Could be more stressful than other top unis
The West Wing
1. The workload is very intense. Seriously intense.
2. We don't get weekends
3. There's no hiding or procrastinating because we have regular small group (max 3) meetings with academics
4. The town is really quite boring once you've gotten over the initial excitement
5. The food is awful and there are limited self-catering facilities
6. Shopping and food are really really expensive because of the tourists
7. We don't get a freshers week, people often get set work in the first 3 days (I was set work on my second day)
8. There are tourists everywhere, you end up having to barge through crowds and be in inadvertant pictures, especially on the Clare bridge

~

Please? :puppyeyes: Because the most I can think of is one so I would love to see 100 negatives of Oxbridge.
Reply 29
The West Wing
2. We don't get weekends

This is one of the things I heard which put me off applying a few years ago. How does it work? I guess thats why you get longer holidays/shorter terms?

Intense... but MUCH better than getting lost in the crowd. My friend is at Brunel, and she hasn't seen her tutor since freshers week. Freshers week last year, that is. She's in yr 2.

Go on. I love lists. :love:
sadie-kiki

Well, there's only one long vac, that's what they call the summer "holiday". As West Wing said, they have a thing about the word holiday as they claim it implies a lack of work etc. Anyway, I was just pointing out that sentences with one plural and one singular subject can be odd, because that's the sort of thing I find fun. :wink:

You're applying for Magdalene English right? That be cool.
Reply 31
The West Wing
No, we are expected to work in the vacation and not to treat it like a holiday. We were explicitly told "the word vacation means to vacate your room, not to stop working".

hmm I guess, although I didn't mean in terms of whether you work or not.

Like at my school, if someone says school 'holidays' it means the same thing as 'vacations'. Like the Christmas, Easter and Summer holidays/vacations. Whether we work during them or not doesn't matter... it's just the description for that period of time...

Oh heck. I'm confusing myself now.
Reply 32
SunderX
The impression I get is that there are quite a few regulations (especially at older colleges), but most of them make sense somewhat in terms of academia. There is a sense that some items (such as a drinking restriction at college formal dinners at my college last year) belittle us as young adults, but this is why we have JCR's (college-level student unions) that will fight these issues. Taking the drinking restrictions as an example, this year we've managed to get them relaxed to the extent that's it's pretty much a non-issue anymore.

This is all very dependent on college, Balliol practically aims to get us drunk (no, seriously, that's the only explanation for the amount of alcohol at formals :erm:) at any available opportunity, and is way more relaxed about the 'no room parties' rule than the handbook lets on. I had 35 people in my tiny room at a party once, for example, and either they didn't notice or they let it slide. Plus if the noise was anything to go by, the rugby team had a lot.

And anything goes in the bar, really.

Also, in response to an earlier comment, I don't personally see managing your own sheets as the pinnacle of independence, but we don't get them provided either. 3 washing machines between 400 people, ohhh yeahhh. (you can list that as a disadvantage, btw)

As I said, dependent on college, but Oxford isn't a big extension of boarding school, for christ's sake, which is the way the implication on this thread seems to be going.

Just do your research before applying, and don't go to a college with silly rules.
MSB
There are too many stairs.

They are just stairs lol! :p:

It's not like it's crocodiles in your en-suite or elephants in the backs etc. :rolleyes:

But on a serious note, if there are crocodiles, elephants etc in Oxbridge, I'm so not going there! :eek:
Well, I didn't apply to Oxford because I personally found the atmosphere strange (plus other reasons, but this was a contributing factor). The people I met there and stuff just seemed really...idk. I went to other unis and didn't get it so much. Just a personal thing for me, that I didn't think that I would get on there.

*shrug* Plus the whole practically forced catered thing, and that they 'preferred' you to stay in halls for your first year, which I didn't really want to do.
Whoa..no freshers week? No weekends? It doesnt sound very nice!
Reply 36
Said as if the majority of Oxbridge students have the privilege of ensuite...
rockrunride
Threatening someone with expulsion because of how they choose to manage their private life is treating someone like a child, in my book.

Can't they let you make your own decision? Of course, there is work involved, but shouldn't they step in if they start to fall behind, and trust their students?

Also, I fend for myself much more at UCL: self-catered, no bedsheets, etc.

Come on, surely you can come up with better arguments of fending for yourself than bedsheets?! :p: In any case, I'm pretty much self-catered.

My negatives of Oxford:

1) You often feel like an idiot
2) There is a general lack of praise
3) Some of the tutors are clueless about pastoral care and learning disabilities
4) Some of the tutors should clearly just being doing research and not teaching
5) General state of huge disorganisation
6) The Oxford Union hacks
7) Questionable standards of English amongst some of the international students
8) Very cold :frown:
9) No Poundland :frown::frown::frown:
10) Some of the tutors just shouldn't be allowed to teach. At all.

:smile:
Being stereotyped by other people, maybe?
negatives of going to Cambridge uni: you have to live in Cambridge.

It's expensive, over-rated and there's really not a lot to do. Plus all the shops are chains as there isn't a lot of room in the town centre.

Latest

Trending

Trending