The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Travel or Work: Travelling
Date starting: Mid November
Date ending: Mid December
Countries Travelling to: Ghana
Approx Cost of Trip (inc equipment, vaccines, flights etc): about £1100
Plans after gap year: Medicine 09
Additional Comments: I hope to get a job when I return. Work, save for uni and travel some more.
Reply 21
vortex_199
Travel or Work: Travelling
Date starting: Mid November
Date ending: Mid December
Countries Travelling to: Ghana
Approx Cost of Trip (inc equipment, vaccines, flights etc): about £1100
Plans after gap year: Medicine 09
Additional Comments: I hope to get a job when I return. Work, save for uni and travel some more.

hey, are you travelling by independently or with a group? if with a group which company? thanks, adam
I'm travelling with Original Volunteers. I don't have a job and my parents, having bought a house and all this year, couldn't afford to send me with these profit groups. So I searched for hours online until I found the best deal. Here is the website if you want:

http://originalvolunteers.co.uk/index.html
Reply 23
vortex_199
I'm travelling with Original Volunteers. I don't have a job and my parents, having bought a house and all this year, couldn't afford to send me with these profit groups. So I searched for hours online until I found the best deal. Here is the website if you want:

http://originalvolunteers.co.uk/index.html

when are you going and what trip are you doing? Looks like a great company thanks for sharing it!
I'm going to work at an orphanage in Ghana. Hopefully mid-November. Your welcome.

Are you interested in volunteering?
Reply 25
vortex_199
I'm going to work at an orphanage in Ghana. Hopefully mid-November. Your welcome.

Are you interested in volunteering?

yes, very. i've just posted this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=709711 people are replying with some good sites for volunteering. advice on here is so much better than just searching for trips.
rushie89
yes, very. i've just posted this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=709711 people are replying with some good sites for volunteering. advice on here is so much better than just searching for trips.

It is. Don't get sucked in by these money-loving companies. I was going to go with one but thank God for financial crisis. LOL. This way, I can use any leftover money to buy stationary and essentials to bring to the kids at the orphanage.
Reply 27
vortex_199
It is. Don't get sucked in by these money-loving companies. I was going to go with one but thank God for financial crisis. LOL. This way, I can use any leftover money to buy stationary and essentials to bring to the kids at the orphanage.

ha, there is an upside to recession! i was almost going with a company (want to name and shame but cant remember off hand the name) until searching them on here and finding a thread that wasn't exactly recommending their prices. yeah you have the right idea there. i plan on doing some fundraising and things if i do volunteer (likely i will). thanks for advice.
Reply 28
Travel or Work: Travelling and working
Date starting: 8th November
Date ending: Mid August
Countries Travelling to: Indoneisa, Australia, Malaysia, Thailand, Loas, Vietnam, Cambodia, China and India
Approx Cost of Trip (inc equipment, vaccines, flights etc): about £4000
Plans after gap year: Vet Science 09
Additional Comments
Reply 29
Travel or Work: Working
Date starting: 6th August
Date ending: September 09
Countries Travelling to: I wish :frown:
Plans after gap year: Law 09

Additional Comments: Gap year ruined by parents, never really wanted me to have a gap year. Rent when they said they wouldn't, charging for stuf they said they wouldn't, making life difficult. Some will say that that's life but when I went through the pros and cons of a gap year with them, I said if I couldn't save to pay for fees there was no point and they agreed. Any money i'm saving is going to them and no money for travelling - defeats the objective of saving for my gap year. Love my job, love the mates ive still got here - but gap year at the moment - pointless.
Just alot of working and growing up. I need money and the experience.

It's insteresting. I'm doing the degree and the hard work and ******* off and enjoying myself at different places around the world. May do what some of my friends at work do; work for a few months 50 hours a week, save it all up and go travel eastern asia for 4 months, come back and work and then go away again! I'd like to do that for a few years. And then come back and get a proper job with my OT degree when I'm 30ish and do the 9-5 work family thing.

That's a vague outline of my life. Hopefully.
Reply 31
Travel or Work: Both (start travelling in March)
Date starting: June 2008
Date ending: September 2009
Work: HCA full-time, saving and getting experience for a hopeful medicine application
Countries Travelling to: Venezeula, Peru, Bolivia, Chile, Argentina, Spain
Doing What: Venezuela- spanish lessons and adventure travel program, Peru- Inca trail and volunteering trip that I won, Bolivia, Chile and Argentina- travelling, hiking Patagonia etc., Spain- stop-over.
Approx Cost of Trip (inc equipment, vaccines, flights etc): given myself a budget of £5000 but will probably come in under this
Plans after gap year: Hopefully Medicine '09
Additional Comments: Cant wait to stop working and start exploring!
crackerbox
Travel or Work: Both (start travelling in March)
Date starting: June 2008
Date ending: September 2009
Work: HCA full-time, saving and getting experience for a hopeful medicine application
Countries Travelling to: Venezeula, Peru, Bolivia, Chile, Argentina, Spain
Doing What: Venezuela- spanish lessons and adventure travel program, Peru- Inca trail and volunteering trip that I won, Bolivia, Chile and Argentina- travelling, hiking Patagonia etc., Spain- stop-over.
Approx Cost of Trip (inc equipment, vaccines, flights etc): given myself a budget of £5000 but will probably come in under this
Plans after gap year: Hopefully Medicine '09
Additional Comments: Cant wait to stop working and start exploring!

are you gong with jakera?
Reply 33
Annaconda
are you gong with jakera?

yup, actually found out about Jakera on TSR, another reason to love it! Are you thinking of doing something with Jakera? :smile:
crackerbox
yup, actually found out about Jakera on TSR, another reason to love it! Are you thinking of doing something with Jakera? :smile:

yeah i was thinking of doing the eco-travel or adventure thing. i heard about it o TSR too :biggrin:
you'll have to tell us all about it when you get back:yep:
Reply 35
Booked my main flight today. London- Caracas then Buenos Aires to London £730- skanky eh?
I still need to book a flight from Caracas to Quito also but its coming up at like £300 from Avianca airlines which is the only one I can find, anyone know any cheaper options (I only have two weeks to get from Caracas to Lima so overlanding isn't really an option)
Aug 08- work at M&S, retake A-level moduel, learn to drive, apply to uni
Finish work Aug 09?
Travelling-fraid not! I am determined not to have a student loan, so travelling is out of the question!
Plans after gap year: Brighton, Sociology/social policy/Criminology
Additional Comments: The more I work, the more i look forward to uni!! :smile:
Reply 37
CazTheSpider
work at M&S

Snap :biggrin:
Reply 38
heyy anyone travelling this year? i leave 2nd of feb, for 6months! :smile:
Just about to start uni interviews this month! For social work/policy! Pretty nervous!
Everyone deferred/got a place? Or applied for 09?
Reply 39
Where are you going ? :smile:. I'm probably going to travel.
Good luck with your interviews.

Latest