The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Camford
I'm asking this because my friend is depressed. What do you do when you are depressed? Do you lie in bed all day and hope it'll go away? Do you go to the doctors in hope that he/she may give you some happy pills? Or do you get on with work and not letting it bother you? Can I have some tips please?

Not being horrible to your friend. But i really can't stand people who say they are depressed. You have no right to be depressed. Life is too short. You should get up and do something constructive.
Reply 2
!Laxy!
Not being horrible to your friend. But i really can't stand people who say they are depressed. You have no right to be depressed. Life is too short. You should get up and do something constructive.

Don't let anyone who's really depressed hear that.

There's a difference between people who say they are depressed and those who are depressed.
Reply 3
Laxy you do realise people don't *choose* to be depressed? You've obviously never been depressed.

Camford the best you can help your friend is just be there for him, listen to him etc. Show some understanding. And what depressed people do, er, I'm not sure if I was ever *actually* depressed but there was a point for about half a year when I just cried and cried and couldn't see anything in life. So er yeh! - if your friend is as emotional as me then you better keep an eye on him :rolleyes: cus er for a time suicide was on my mind. But I'm still here so don't worry!
Reply 4
Camford
Don't let anyone who's really depressed hear that.

There's a difference between people who say they are depressed and those who are depressed.

There is no reason to be depressed though.
Reply 5
!Laxy!

If there truly were no reason then nobody would ever be sad.

And anyway sometimes depression is clinical - there *is* no reason to be depressed but they are and that's a medical condition.
Reply 6
irisng
Laxy you do realise people don't *choose* to be depressed? You've obviously never been depressed.

Camford the best you can help your friend is just be there for him, listen to him etc. Show some understanding. And what depressed people do, er, I'm not sure if I was ever *actually* depressed but there was a point for about half a year when I just cried and cried and couldn't see anything in life. So er yeh! - if your friend is as emotional as me then you better keep an eye on him :rolleyes: cus er for a time suicide was on my mind. But I'm still here so don't worry!

If he's half as emotional as you are I'd glad. He doesn't express his emotions all that often. And that is not good for him.
Reply 7
!Laxy!

No reason is needed. Same as a lot of other things.
Reply 8
irisng
If there truly were no reason then nobody would ever be sad.

And anyway sometimes depression is clinical - there *is* no reason to be depressed but they are and that's a medical condition.

but clinical depression affects only a *small* minority.
Reply 9
How do you know that his friend is not part of that *small minority*?
Reply 10
Reema
How do you know that his friend is not part of that *small minority*?

He's not. He's got at least one reason to be depressed. Or rather, there are things around him that makes him feel depressed.
Reply 11
!Laxy!
but clinical depression affects only a *small* minority.

I strongly disagree.
How do you know that? and can you post any figures to back up that claim?
Reply 12
Can I have some advice other than "be there" please?
Reply 13
Camford

Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, get them to ask their doctor about it.
Reply 14
Daveo
Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, get them to ask their doctor about it.

Thanks. point taken.
Reply 15
Is this Cambridge-flavour depression? I get something similar occasionally. You do have to keep telling yourself "I'm clever enough to be here", think about stuff you enjoy doing and think about stuff you're good at. There's a tendency to only concentrate on stuff you're failing, which makes you feel inadequate, so you should try to avoid that.
Reply 16
!Laxy!

WAUUUUUUUU THE SAME WAY I THINK!!! There are very few clever people in the world... I'm not alone :p:
How can you say "no one has the right to be depressed"?

Ok sometimes it annoys me when I can see people are acting all depressive yet all that is wrong is theres no chocolate in the vending machine or something but have you ever thought that some people may have severe reasons to be depressed?

Its an entirely sweeping judgment to be able to say no one should be depressed... I can think of a couple of occasions when me or people around me have had severe reason to be depressed.

It doesn't mean you have to be depressed but as people have been saying it often can't be helped
Reply 18
Camford

tricyclic antidepressants! lithium! erm... a bit too much pharm revision, sorry... :redface:

sometimes a metaphorical hard knock can cause a person to "snap out of it"?

or possibly a literal one? :biggrin: (i.e. beat some sense into him/her)
Reply 19
squeezeevans
How can you say "no one has the right to be depressed"?

Ok sometimes it annoys me when I can see people are acting all depressive yet all that is wrong is theres no chocolate in the vending machine or something but have you ever thought that some people may have severe reasons to be depressed?

Its an entirely sweeping judgment to be able to say no one should be depressed... I can think of a couple of occasions when me or people around me have had severe reason to be depressed.

It doesn't mean you have to be depressed but as people have been saying it often can't be helped

given an example

Latest

Trending

Trending