The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 1
50 ont he train every day would kill you. if you missed a train you' dhave to wait ages for another. you'd constantly worry about getting home in time. you wouldn tbe able to have spontaneous nights out, you'd have to be so conscious of everything. if a train broke down you'd be buggered.

if i commuted to ucl it'd be 30 minutes by train and even that's a lot.

i just wouldn't. definitely not in my first year. second year, maybe, at a stretch.

but perhaps someone that does commute could tell you more.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
50 ont he train every day would kill you. if you missed a train you' dhave to wait ages for another. you'd constantly worry about getting home in time. you wouldn tbe able to have spontaneous nights out, you'd have to be so conscious of everything. if a train broke down you'd be buggered.

if i commuted to ucl it'd be 30 minutes by train and even that's a lot.

i just wouldn't. definitely not in my first year. second year, maybe, at a stretch.

but perhaps someone that does commute could tell you more.

ah you make commuting sound really bad. I'm gonna commute in my first year and its 50 minutes (to manchester uni if I get in.)
but I dont think it should be to bad.
It shouldn't be too bad, I walk to uni which takes a good 40mins

cost may become and issue with trains, also delays
Reply 4
arisk01
It shouldn't be too bad, I walk to uni which takes a good 40mins

cost may become and issue with trains, also delays

You apparently attend Heythrop, do you have any idea if they would have places for philosophy in clearing? I didn't initially apply there but if I don't get an offer to King's I'm not too keen on making my way up north for my other choices.
knowsley1961
You apparently attend Heythrop, do you have any idea if they would have places for philosophy in clearing? I didn't initially apply there but if I don't get an offer to King's I'm not too keen on making my way up north for my other choices.

I think they might, you may also be able to apply through UCAS Extra as well
I was considering commuting into Charing Cross as well... I did it the other day and it was alright (only half an hour)... Also, I'm sure if you friends on your course etc, if you did want to go out, you could always stay over at their's...
I commute (but to London Bridge as I'm based at Guys) an hour on the train each day and it's not too bad. It's very tiring, but it gives me a chance to get some work done (as there's not much else to do) and saves me money. I lived in Halls in my first year and although I didn't love it, I'm glad I lived out for the first year.
Reply 8
I've just started commuting in my first year at KCL to Strand campus via Charing Cross (train journey is 35mins) and I've found it a breeze. I've managed to make loads of friends, there's a train every 15mins and although the last train home is early (12.10) I've always got a friend willing to put me up so it's not a huge problem. I'm saving loads of money (I don't even have to travel in on Thursdays as I have no lectures), especially on days when my lectures start later and I can use my Young Persons Railcard. The journey time acts like forced study time - there's nothing much else to do so you might as well do some course reading or something.

So yeah, I'm all for it. KCL isn't a traditional campused based uni anyway so even if you are in halls you could still be miles away from Strand (lots of my friends are in their first year and out at Kings Halls in Denmark Hill.....might aswell commute from where I live!)
I commute from North London, takes 40 - 50mins. It's harder but you do make friends. But i'm a masters student so I don't really have time for 'friends' :wink:
I know someone one my course who commutes from kent into charing cross. although he's only in 3 days a week which may have factored in his decision.
Reply 11
I commute in from Kent. About 1 hour 20 each way

Latest