The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow blether thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ArcadiaHouse
Could a second year English Lit student PM me AS SOON AS PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE please?

I am locked in my flat and sharepoint is not compatible with Windows 7, so I don't know what lectures I have tomorrow as I can't log into MyGlasgow :frown:

You could PM me your ID & password, and I could log in and check for you, and solemnly swear not to ever go on again to spy on your timetable (:colone:), if nobody gets back to you x
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by Aurora.
You could PM me your ID & password, and I could log in and check for you, and solemnly swear not to ever go on again to spy on your timetable (:colone:), if nobody gets back to you x

You are an angel :flutter: but it's ok, somehow I Googled the problem and changed the make-up of my laptop or something, and it's actually worked and I can log in now! :biggrin:

No doubt it'll probably crash and burn sooner or later though so I may take you up on that offer :tongue: Thanks a lot :biggrin:

That still doesn't change the fact that I'm locked in my flat though ... :erm:
(edited 12 years ago)
You are an angel :flutter: but it's ok, somehow I Googled the problem and changed the make-up of my laptop or something, and it's actually worked and I can log in now! :biggrin:

No doubt it'll probably crash and burn sooner or later though so I may take you up on that offer :tongue: Thanks a lot :biggrin:

That still doesn't change the fact that I'm locked in my flat though ... :erm:

Ah good :biggrin:

And yes, I did wonder about the locking in... Why is it that you're locked in, exactly? :tongue:
Reply 4023
Where's Professors' Square and the Joseph Black Building? I've looked up pictures and I recognise the Joseph Black but can't remember where, and I can't work it out from the campus map :colondollar: I think Professors' Square, is that in the lovely fancy old bit near Bute Hall?
Original post by Aurora.
Ah good :biggrin:

And yes, I did wonder about the locking in... Why is it that you're locked in, exactly? :tongue:

It stopped working. It let me log in once after I'd done that, but it started blocking me again. I'm going to ask about it tomorrow :mad:

My flatmate came back about an hour ago. Apparently there is a tiny lock at the BOTTOM of the door, which looked like a black hole, and I had to turn a key in that.

Three locks for one door :erm:

Freshers' week tomorrow. I'm so tired :frown: I don't know why, I just don't seem in the mood. Maybe once I meet some people I'll feel better :redface:
Does anyone know were I can find a list of all the activities that are on in freshers week? A direct link would be great because the internet were I've moved into is ridiculous, spent the last 20 mins hitting F5 just to get this page loaded. :frown:

Also is it too late to buy one of those freshers passes or can I still pick one up tomorrow? Are they worth it?
Reply 4026
Original post by conway!
Where's Professors' Square and the Joseph Black Building? I've looked up pictures and I recognise the Joseph Black but can't remember where, and I can't work it out from the campus map :colondollar: I think Professors' Square, is that in the lovely fancy old bit near Bute Hall?

Original post by G8D
I think all of my tuts are in Professors square so if anyone knows quote me too :pierre:

Professors square is the quad like area immediately west of the main building. You can see it on the map on this document.

www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_194437_en.pdf

Joseph Black is the building that appears to be joined onto the Graham Kerr building (12) on that map (It looks like 3 buildings joined together by corridors). If you walk across university avenue from Boyd Orr/Maths, and go past the front door of the Wolfson medical building you'll see the gate with one of those electronic car barriers. Walk through taht and the Joseph Black is the building that runs along the right hand side. (There are several entrances and a final one at the end of the building that points towards the Kelvin/Physics building).
Reply 4027
Original post by The Remote Part
Does anyone know were I can find a list of all the activities that are on in freshers week? A direct link would be great because the internet were I've moved into is ridiculous, spent the last 20 mins hitting F5 just to get this page loaded. :frown:

Also is it too late to buy one of those freshers passes or can I still pick one up tomorrow? Are they worth it?

http://freshersweek.glasgowstudent.net/events.htm

You can still buy a freshers pass
http://freshersweek.glasgowstudent.net/faq.htm

http://freshersweek.glasgowstudent.net/faq.htm
The final way to get hold of a pass is in person. If you arrive in glasgow before 9th september, you can come to the src reception office in the john mcintyre building before 3pm on the 9th with a postal registration form, payment in cash and two passport photographs and you'll get a receipt so you can pick up your pass with everyone else. if you won't arrive in glasgow until after 9th september, then you can bring your completed form, photos and some cash along to the Freshers' Pass pick-up point to register for a pass on collection day, after that, you can buy one from SRC Reception at any point in the week.

Whether it's worth it or not depends on what you go to. Almost all the events at night in the unions require it.
Reply 4028
Original post by maxPP
Professors square is the quad like area immediately west of the main building. You can see it on the map on this document.

www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_194437_en.pdf

Joseph Black is the building that appears to be joined onto the Graham Kerr building (12) on that map (It looks like 3 buildings joined together by corridors). If you walk across university avenue from Boyd Orr/Maths, and go past the front door of the Wolfson medical building you'll see the gate with one of those electronic car barriers. Walk through taht and the Joseph Black is the building that runs along the right hand side. (There are several entrances and a final one at the end of the building that points towards the Kelvin/Physics building).

Thanks, although I'm actually still not sure - I must never have gone those ways, because I don't remember Graham Kerr either.

Am I right that the Maths Building can be reached by going down the stairs from Alexander Stone/QMU and into one of the doors near those concrete benches? Sort of near the other entry to Boyd Orr(I think, I've not been in since May so my memory's a bit fuzzy)
Reply 4029
Original post by conway!
Thanks, although I'm actually still not sure - I must never have gone those ways, because I don't remember Graham Kerr either.

Am I right that the Maths Building can be reached by going down the stairs from Alexander Stone/QMU and into one of the doors near those concrete benches? Sort of near the other entry to Boyd Orr(I think, I've not been in since May so my memory's a bit fuzzy)

The Maths building is the one that runs along most of the opposite side of the street as the QMU/AS (same side of street as hetherington)

A picture is prob better way to explain. This is looking down univ avenue towards Byres rd.
http://i52.tinypic.com/2dt9kb4.jpg

The maths and Boyd Orr buildings are out of view on the right. Blue arrow is the Joseph Black building itself, although you need to go through the gate (yellow) to get into the building.
(edited 12 years ago)
Could anyone tell me if the QMU has a cloakroom?
Need a big jacket for this evening but I don't want to be dragging it around all night!
Original post by sophie4815
Could anyone tell me if the QMU has a cloakroom?
Need a big jacket for this evening but I don't want to be dragging it around all night!

It does, ground floor on the right as you walk in.
Original post by Celtic_Anthony
It does, ground floor on the right as you walk in.

Thank you very much ^^ x
Today hasn't really been the explosive start to Freshers' Week they said it would be.

The weather is appalling (which can't be helped) but today's activities weren't really conducive to meeting people ... I did meet some people in the evening, but I spent today soaking wet and wandering around looking for something to do.

Hopefully it will pick up later in the week.

I CBA waiting until midnight for Edith Bowman. Going to call it a night, I'm absolutely freezing :frown:
Apparently I don't have any 9am starts this year :smug:

Well I have two tutorials still to be added to my timetable ... I hope neither is at 9am because my flat is actually a bit of a trek from the uni and I hate walking in the wet, dark winter mornings :frown:
Today hasn't really been the explosive start to Freshers' Week they said it would be.

The weather is appalling (which can't be helped) but today's activities weren't really conducive to meeting people ... I did meet some people in the evening, but I spent today soaking wet and wandering around looking for something to do.

Hopefully it will pick up later in the week.

I CBA waiting until midnight for Edith Bowman. Going to call it a night, I'm absolutely freezing :frown:

Agreed, they definitely should have had the 'speed mating' thing on the first day! I talked to a few girls who invited me out with them tonight but there's no way in hell I'm getting out my cosy jimjams and out in THAT.

Are you living at home as well? Meeting people is so hard compared to being in halls!
Original post by G8D
> has flat
> complains about travelling
:grumble:

This morning I followed directions from Google Maps, which led me to a building site which obviously doesn't appear on the website, so it was a dead end and I ended up taking ages to walk to the uni because I got lost. I've found an alternative route though so I hope it'll just be like a 20 min walk from now on :redface: I know, commuting would have been a nightmare for me.
Original post by ladyhoot
Agreed, they definitely should have had the 'speed mating' thing on the first day! I talked to a few girls who invited me out with them tonight but there's no way in hell I'm getting out my cosy jimjams and out in THAT.

Are you living at home as well? Meeting people is so hard compared to being in halls!

Yes, I'm looking forward to tomorrow, it sounds much more sociable. I think being cold is making me feel miserable :tongue: I've taken shelter in the uni library so will probably get a taxi home now :erm:

No, I have a flat, but there's no way in hell I'm walking home in the dark by myself in THIS. My flatmate is in Paris this week and I haven't met the third girl yet, she's coming tomorrow.

I met a group of people but they all live at home so we only spoke for like an hour :frown: I'd like to go to the night events this week but they all wanted to get home before it got dark, and they wouldn't be able to get trains.
(edited 12 years ago)
Yes, I'm looking forward to tomorrow, it sounds much more sociable. I think being cold is making me feel miserable :tongue: I've taken shelter in the uni library so will probably get a taxi home now :erm:

No, I have a flat, but there's no way in hell I'm walking home in the dark by myself in THIS. My flatmate is in Paris this week and I haven't met the third girl yet, she's coming tomorrow.

I met a group of people but they all live at home so we only spoke for like an hour :frown: I'd like to go to the night events this week but they all wanted to get home before it got dark, and they wouldn't be able to get trains.

Me too! I've felt terrible looking like a drowned rat all day. Maybe we should have a Student Room meet up for all us lonely folk :biggrin:
Original post by ladyhoot
Me too! I've felt terrible looking like a drowned rat all day. Maybe we should have a Student Room meet up for all us lonely folk :biggrin:

Perhaps. I wouldn't want too many people knowing I'm on this though :wink: But it may well be a good idea if I don't meet more people :erm:

I mean the people I met today were lovely but it would be nice to meet people who live near the uni too :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending