Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow blether thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4180
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
Haha maybe it'd be healthier to move on from that topic anyway :tongue:

I meant to go this week, but I had to go to student services and got really stressed so just went home after it instead. :redface: Might see you next week!

You should definitely come along, I'm on the committee so I should probably persuade people :smile:
Probably a good thing you weren't there this week, I had to speak in front of people :eek:
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by d123
You should definitely come along, I'm on the committee so I should probably persuade people :smile:
Probably a good thing you weren't there this week, I had to speak in front of people :eek:

When/where/what do you do?
Reply 4182
Original post by Celtic_Anthony
When/where/what do you do?

We meet every Tuesday at 5-6, normally in the QMU committee room - though we want to change that because the room's too small for the group now. Any changes will be well publicised though :smile: We do various campaigns, at the moment we're focusing on women's rights in Afghanistan and the death penalty - we hold talks, sign petitions, write letters, sometimes get speakers in. Also social events like the Secret Policeman's Ball. It's really good! We've got loads of events coming up soon - there's a website and a facebook page which can explain it all better than I can. Everyone should come along though if you're free at that time and interested in human rights type issues - it's a very active and friendly group, and we've won national awards before as well as SRC awards :smile:
Keane played the QMU in 2004? I'm so ****ing jealous :colondollar:

EDIT: LOL @ Duckelf negging me for this :rofl:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by d123
We meet every Tuesday at 5-6, normally in the QMU committee room - though we want to change that because the room's too small for the group now. Any changes will be well publicised though :smile: We do various campaigns, at the moment we're focusing on women's rights in Afghanistan and the death penalty - we hold talks, sign petitions, write letters, sometimes get speakers in. Also social events like the Secret Policeman's Ball. It's really good! We've got loads of events coming up soon - there's a website and a facebook page which can explain it all better than I can. Everyone should come along though if you're free at that time and interested in human rights type issues - it's a very active and friendly group, and we've won national awards before as well as SRC awards :smile:

Edit to say I read 'Tuesday' as 'Monday', rugby training rules me out until my next injury lay-off, but thanks again.
(edited 12 years ago)
Keane played the QMU in 2004? I'm so ****ing jealous :colondollar:

Keane :love:
I'm jealous also lol I desperately wanted to see them last year but they were playing on the same night as Green Day.
What a heartbreaking moment that was when I found out :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Little Hobbit
Keane :love:
I'm jealous also lol I desperately wanted to see them last year but they were playing on the same night as Green Day.
What a heartbreaking moment that was when I found out :frown:

I was at that show with my brother! My mum and aunt were at Green Day. We said we should have been at each other's shows :tongue:

It was really good. Can't beat the Barrowlands :yep: You realise just how huge Tom Chaplin's voice is in such a small venue.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by greeneyedgirl
x

I'm finding these 'Things Fall Apart' lectures pretty dull :frown: Hope we do something a bit more exciting soon. :erm:

EDIT: At the back of the English Language 1A booklet it says "beware of the dangers of plagiarism", and says to stay away from "poor quality and unreliable sites such as Spark Notes."

Spark Notes is poor quality? It helped me get an A for Advanced Higher English and a first for English at Strathclyde. I didn't plagiarise, I just consulted it and used it to form my own ideas. Will they pick up that you've used it and get you done for plagiarism? :eek:

You just use them as you would any other source of literary criticism. :erm:
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm finding these 'Things Fall Apart' lectures pretty dull :frown: Hope we do something a bit more exciting soon. :erm:

EDIT: At the back of the English Language 1A booklet it says "beware of the dangers of plagiarism", and says to stay away from "poor quality and unreliable sites such as Spark Notes."

Spark Notes is poor quality? It helped me get an A for Advanced Higher English and a first for English at Strathclyde. I didn't plagiarise, I just consulted it and used it to form my own ideas. Will they pick up that you've used it and get you done for plagiarism? :eek:

I've only turned up to one Things Fall Apart lecture! From first year recollections, Eng Lit really isn't fabby...

Erm I've used Spark Notes but carefully, it's not that hard for them to pick up who's using Spark Notes, esp if they want you to put in through turnitin
Reply 4189
I've only turned up to one Things Fall Apart lecture! From first year recollections, Eng Lit really isn't fabby...

Erm I've used Spark Notes but carefully, it's not that hard for them to pick up who's using Spark Notes, esp if they want you to put in through turnitin

Really? I thought that the lecture today was quite good actually, at least the second half was considerably less boring than the other lectures we've had on Achebe and he said some very interesting things about time and narrative in non-Western/pre-literate texts. Plus the hand out is really good too.
Original post by andyyy
Really? I thought that the lecture today was quite good actually, at least the second half was considerably less boring than the other lectures we've had on Achebe and he said some very interesting things about time and narrative in non-Western/pre-literate texts. Plus the hand out is really good too.

I didn't turn up to todays, but the other ones have been pretty dire, my tutorial on it was much better :sadnod:
Reply 4191
I have 5A's at Scottish Higher Level - Maths, English, Human Biology, Chemistry and Physics. In S6 I am taking Advanced Higher Chemistry, Biology and Higher Geography

Unfortunately i did really badly in my UKCAT got an average of 607.5 :frown: total of 2430

I volunteer at a local nursing home and i am getting work experience at a GP, but its after i send away by application, the same goes for work exp at a Medical Training Centre

I am wanting to apply for Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen. Honestly, do i have a realistic chance of getting in?
Original post by MaxH94
I have 5A's at Scottish Higher Level - Maths, English, Human Biology, Chemistry and Physics. In S6 I am taking Advanced Higher Chemistry, Biology and Higher Geography

Unfortunately i did really badly in my UKCAT got an average of 607.5 :frown: total of 2430

I volunteer at a local nursing home and i am getting work experience at a GP, but its after i send away by application, the same goes for work exp at a Medical Training Centre

I am wanting to apply for Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen. Honestly, do i have a realistic chance of getting in?

I can't really say as don't know much about medicine, you could try asking in the medicine forum as they're much more likely to know requirements etc

Hey, were you in an English Lang 1A tutorial today at 2? Sorry if that's really stalkery, but there was someone who said they'd transferred from Strathclyde and were doing the same courses as you. If so, hi :hi:
Original post by misshape
Hey, were you in an English Lang 1A tutorial today at 2? Sorry if that's really stalkery, but there was someone who said they'd transferred from Strathclyde and were doing the same courses as you. If so, hi :hi:

Hello :biggrin: Well I was in the class that started at 1pm.
(edited 12 years ago)

:frown: I saw the books Comparative Lit folk need in the John Smith bookshop today, and they looked so interesting. The English Lit ones are a bit :nothing:

Ah OK. I better stay away from them then. :colondollar: I wonder what their beef is with it.
I didn't turn up to todays, but the other ones have been pretty dire, my tutorial on it was much better :sadnod:

:cry2:

I love English Lit, but the actual texts you study make SUCH a difference to your enjoyment of it. Apparently next semester we've got Oscar Wilde though. I'll be all over that :colone:
:frown: I saw the books Comparative Lit folk need in the John Smith bookshop today, and they looked so interesting. The English Lit ones are a bit :nothing:

Ah OK. I better stay away from them then. :colondollar: I wonder what their beef is with it.

:cry2:

I love English Lit, but the actual texts you study make SUCH a difference to your enjoyment of it. Apparently next semester we've got Oscar Wilde though. I'll be all over that :colone:

The texts are a bit ****ty. Yeah Wilde next term should be good, as should Poor Things.

I think it's cos SparkNotes means we aren't thinking for ourselves/doing research etc.
Literature at uni sounds like my idea of complete hell :tongue:
The texts are a bit ****ty. Yeah Wilde next term should be good, as should Poor Things.

I think it's cos SparkNotes means we aren't thinking for ourselves/doing research etc.

I thought SparkNotes WAS research :wink: lol wellll I suppose it's not the same as looking through a 'real' book of literary criticism ... The notes can be like essays in themselves sometimes ...

Does that mean we can't use Coursework.info as well? Although I really only use that to see how to structure an answer well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending