The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow blether thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ArcadiaHouse
Hairspray + naked flame ... yeah :colonhash:

(I wasn't actually spraying it though, I'm not that retarded ... yet)

:console:
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by greeneyedgirl
:console:

Have you been in Firewater? :holmes:
Have you been in Firewater? :holmes:

:yep:
Any advice on getting a summer lease in Glasgow? I'm daily stalking the SRC website :redface:
Original post by J'adoreMaCachette
Any advice on getting a summer lease in Glasgow? I'm daily stalking the SRC website :redface:

I an letting my room out for summer. june, july, august, september, £300 inclusive on the same road as the gym.
Apparently some guys from the top bit of the gym kept filming girls in Zumba classes on their mobile phones. The guy who runs Zumba kept stopping the class and going to complain about them downstairs. I was never at classes where that happened though. Now it looks as if Sandy Zumba has quit for good :cry2: He had a Farewell Zumba but I didn't go to it as I had an exam.

I think there must be more to it than that though because I'd imagine it'd take more than some idiots and their mobile phones to stop him doing all those full classes week after week :s-smilie:

Ah ok, that sucks... I was never quite comfortable being onlooked by the gym-goers, but it clearly didn't put people off (or me when it came down to it :P ). What jerks to be filming! Think what we need is (a) blinds for the top gym but (b) Zumba classes on 8 hours of the day... they're clearly popular enough!
Original post by Celtic_Anthony
Checked exam results today. Cracked already. This is gonna be a long couple of weeks.

(In my defence, I know at least one of my papers has been marked...)

Aren't they sending out emails when exam results come through again? I've told myself I can't start obsessing till June.

Guess it's harder when it's your finals though!
I haven't heard about that, although word on the street* is that I'll have to wait 'til June 11th. That is definitely sensible.

And yeah I guess, I've got conflicting feelings about my exams/dissertation so it would be nice just to get the results through!

*the street outside Viper at 2am after an all day session, right enough...

I think I heard the 12th, I think we will get an email although of course that means MyGlasgow will immediately and catastophically crash.

http://www.gla.ac.uk/services/registry/students/exams/results/

Edit: Deadline does appear to be 12th
http://www.gla.ac.uk/services/registry/students/exams/examdatesdeadlines/
(edited 11 years ago)
I haven't heard about that, although word on the street* is that I'll have to wait 'til June 11th. That is definitely sensible.

And yeah I guess, I've got conflicting feelings about my exams/dissertation so it would be nice just to get the results through!

*the street outside Viper at 2am after an all day session, right enough...

I've heard everything has to be out by 15th of June so honestly I'm expecting them July kind of time...

Original post by Norton1
I think I heard the 12th, I think we will get an email although of course that means MyGlasgow will immediately and catastophically crash.

IIRC the emails we got for Christmas exams told us our grade so there was no need to then go on mycampus, the issue was the results were normally up on mycampus a few days before the emails got sent out!
Original post by Norton1

Edit: Deadline does appear to be 12th
http://www.gla.ac.uk/services/registry/students/exams/examdatesdeadlines/

I never got an e-mail for my December exam results. I got them on MyCampus, but I don't think I'm registered somewhere :eek:
Original post by Cressida
I an letting my room out for summer. june, july, august, september, £300 inclusive on the same road as the gym.

Unfortunately it's just from July to the beginning of September I'm looking for. Thanks anyway!
How hard is it to get a first in an arts subject at Glasgow Uni? Do you have to get a first for every single thing you do over honours?

I remember reading about Glasgow Uni graduations in the paper when my cousin got a first in geography in 2009, and there were English Lit ones too, so I know it does happen :sly:
(edited 11 years ago)
How hard is it to get a first in an arts subject at Glasgow Uni? Do you have to get a first for every single thing you do over honours?

I remember reading about Glasgow Uni graduations in the paper when my cousin got a first in geography in 2009, and there were English Lit ones too, so I know it does happen :sly:

I realise it's starting to look as if I do nothing but spend my time on TSR (I'm really just avoiding my dissertation. Which is gigantic. And scary) but basically you just need a GPA of over 18 to guarantee a first (A5 is 18 by the way). Which would be - I think - your two top performing junior honours from 3rd year averaged against your 3 4th year honours and your dissertation.

I think from 17.1 upwards it would go to the exam board for possible classification as a first.

So I suppose the answer to the question about how 'easy' it is would be it depends on how capable you are of consistently achieving the highest 2:1 grades and middling Firsts.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Norton1
I realise it's starting to look as if I do nothing but spend my time on TSR

And I'm grateful that you do :awesome:

but basically you just need a GPA of over 18 to guarantee a first (A5 is 18 by the way). Which would be - I think - your two top performing junior honours from 3rd year averaged against your 3 4th year honours and your dissertation.

I think from 17.1 upwards it would go to the exam board for possible classification as a first.

So ... They take your two best pieces of work/marks, instead of counting everything?

This is good news :colone:

So ... They take your two best pieces of work/marks, instead of counting everything?

This is good news :colone:

I'm having a look to see if that's right. As G8D says that's the case for law so I'm just checking about English lit.
X

Right, I've basically not been able to find anything specifically for English. If you have a look at the generic degree classification regulations it would appear to suggest that everything counts. I think this is a lot more specific to the department than I'd originally thought. For example I found that bioscience only counts fourth year. I would suggest emailing someone in your department. I'm sorry I wasn't more help.
Original post by Norton1
Right, I've basically not been able to find anything specifically for English. If you have a look at the generic degree classification regulations it would appear to suggest that everything counts. I think this is a lot more specific to the department than I'd originally thought. For example I found that bioscience only counts fourth year. I would suggest emailing someone in your department. I'm sorry I wasn't more help.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to look for that for me :smile: I have made an appointment with my adviser of studies so I'll ask him.
Original post by G8D
I'm surprised they've not told you about this stuff :erm:

Eng Lit don't inform you about stuff ever...:nah:
My subjects marking has been done since the 8th of May, but they had to wait til the examiners meeting at the end of this month!
G8D
x

Original post by greeneyedgirl
Eng Lit don't inform you about stuff ever...:nah:

Truth

Quick Reply

Latest