Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

University of Glasgow blether thread

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cressida)
    I'm going on holiday, won't be back till early September, is.it advisable to leave mycampus till then? I'm very lost and confused!
    Assuming you don't need to get on to pick subjects which will fill up fast then you *should* be fine.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Any way to find out which subjects do fill up immediately?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know when freshers will get their log in details for my campus?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metro2610)
    Yes, we have. And, it is a pain every day! :mad:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeNeverWrote)
    Does anyone know when freshers will get their log in details for my campus?

I have a forwarded email from an inside source We should recieve our info early next week, as they had problems with the server stability last week while current students were doing their thing and dont want to flood it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IamStu)
    I have a forwarded email from an inside source We should recieve our info early next week, as they had problems with the server stability last week while current students were doing their thing and dont want to flood it.
    Cheers, saves me asking the question as I'm waiting on my login details for 1st year
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IamStu)
    Yay, thank you, I'm super excited

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeNeverWrote)
    Yay, thank you, I'm super excited

no problem, I'm returning to uni to start again after an 8 year hiatus and i'm probably just as excited as everyone else
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.gla.ac.uk/services/regist...n/newstudents/

Everything is explained here for the registration. We should receive the emails Monday
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoCommentMan)
    Yes, we have. And, it is a pain every day! :mad:
    Tell me about it...

Still unable to enrol because my tutor never transferred me to the College of Social Sciences last year. Even had to ring the uni and wade through all the crap for that information...

Should be done on Monday though... Take it you've had issues too?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norton1)
    Assuming you don't need to get on to pick subjects which will fill up fast then you *should* be fine.
    Does Sociology fill up fast? I'm hopefully going to switch my degree course at some point (either contact my advisor or wait till I get there..I haven't decided yet), and I want to add Sociology after I switch but I might have to wait until I get there to choose it. Is it likely to be full?

Also..sorry to ask so many questions but you seem like the expert around here..if I email my advisor and ask him/her if I can change subjects, do I have to go into great detail and explain my reasons for wanting to switch or should I just keep it simple? Thank you!!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seashells~)
    Does Sociology fill up fast? I'm hopefully going to switch my degree course at some point (either contact my advisor or wait till I get there..I haven't decided yet), and I want to add Sociology after I switch but I might have to wait until I get there to choose it. Is it likely to be full?

Also..sorry to ask so many questions but you seem like the expert around here..if I email my advisor and ask him/her if I can change subjects, do I have to go into great detail and explain my reasons for wanting to switch or should I just keep it simple? Thank you!!
    I'll laugh at the idea I'm an expert before anyone else does I think! I was really talking about getting registration itself finished, which for SAAS and matriculation purposes can be left until September if neccessary (although there is a registration deadline to get SAAS money in on time)

In terms of sociology filling up fast, it's probably a pretty popular course for first year. This is just based on my impression of it sounding like the sort of course people would want to do. It's not "The beards of the English Kings" or "the typefaces of the French revolution".

For that reason I would say it would be better to do it sooner rather than later. To be honest I have a feeling they might tell you to wait until you get there, but at least if you ask you will know for sure.

In terms of explaining why you want to change it can't hurt your case to have a reasonable argument to put forward as to why you feel the new course is for you. I'd try and steer clear of saying it's your dream in life as it clearly wasn't when you applied a few monthsa ago.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seashells~)

MyCampus tells me that the class capacity for sociology 1A is 600 while current enrolment is 32 - so I think the chances of it filling up are quite slim and there's no need to worry about it.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyyy)
    MyCampus tells me that the class capacity for sociology 1A is 600 while current enrolment is 32 - so I think the chances of it filling up are quite slim and there's no need to worry about it.
    Most of those capacity things are bull though I think :s the capacity for level 3 genetics is something like 900 but we were told there were only 40 spaces, it was a bit of a competition for us

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone having trouble logging on to the myglasgow site?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    not got my email yet. anyone else get theirs?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how to enroll on Statistics 1C (for Psychology students)? I would like to take it in year 1 but there seems to be no link or anything
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Statistics 1C (40 credits, Semester 1 and 2) has been scrapped in favour of Statistics 1A (Applied Statistics), which if memory serves me correctly is now a 20 credit course in the second semester only. You can find it in the course catalogue (just google Glasgow uni + course catalogue).

I am not sure whether it is still a requirement for Psychology students.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BostonLegal)
    Statistics 1C (40 credits, Semester 1 and 2) has been scrapped in favour of Statistics 1A (Applied Statistics), which if memory serves me correctly is now a 20 credit course in the second semester only. You can find it in the course catalogue (just google Glasgow uni + course catalogue).

I am not sure whether it is still a requirement for Psychology students.
    I don't think it is. I remember a friend saying that statistics is now fully integrated with the psychology course so students don't need to take an outside stats course. I might be wrong though, I'm not a psychology student!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 21, 2014
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.