Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

University of Glasgow blether thread

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Yes of course, it's here http://wherethefoothillsmeettheprair...f-glasgow.html
    Thanks for the Link.. I've already read that and have even book marked the page in my browsers for future reference, almost a week back..

I even commented on your blog and just noticed that you have replied "I'm sure you'll love Glasgow!"" "

Thanks for the wonderful blog
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Got my results out today! Quick like! Any one else had theirs yet?
    • 142 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chenpan)
    Thanks for the Link.. I've already read that and have even book marked the page in my browsers for future reference, almost a week back..

I even commented on your blog and just noticed that you have replied "I'm sure you'll love Glasgow!"" "

Thanks for the wonderful blog
    Aha! Glad you found it useful! Reminds me I need to do one for Calgary when I get the chance!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aha! Glad you found it useful! Reminds me I need to do one for Calgary when I get the chance!
    That would be nice.. Wish you had done that earlier or any time within the week.. so I could use to plan

Also, I was searching the forum for tips, and found your post regarding that in a thread.

If you don't tip at all then it is pretty scandalous, even if you get served in a nightclub you tip, you tip in taxis, you tip delivery guys even when you pay for delivery etc. etc. tis very frustrating
    I will be using the taxi from Airport to Buchanan View, and searched online for pre-booking, I was wondering how much Should I be paying him as tip? The cost of journey is £26. Cause in my country we often pay 10% or a fixed denomination of 20 or 50. But that's an acceptable amount there.. If i do the same here, it would mean a lot when you look at the conversion. So an idea on the percentage or just a nominal amount for the £26 would be very helpful.

Also which one should I pick for the drop of point among the following to get to Buchanan View?

Popular Locations

Pick up: Oban

Pick up: Ardrossan

Pick up: Carlisle

Pick up: Fort William

Pick up: Renfrew

Other Locations

Pick up: Ballantrae

Pick up: Blantyre

Pick up: Comrie

Pick up: Dalry

Pick up: East Kilbride

Pick up: Glasgow City Centre

Pick up: Greenock

Pick up: Kilmarnock

Pick up: Troon

Pick up: Turnberry Resort

Glasgow City Centre would be fine right?
    • 142 followers

ReputationRep:
    That would be nice.. Wish you had done that earlier or any time within the week.. so I could use to plan

Also, I was searching the forum for tips, and found your post regarding that in a thread.
    My comment about tipping was in Calgary, I wouldn't normally tip that much in Glasgow...I'd tip in cafes and restaurants but not in taxis...there I'd just round up to nearest pound :yep:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    :lolwut:

https://maps.google.co.uk/

You literally have one option. Work it out.

Also re: tips. I think tipping is more important with smaller fares.
    I did check the map million times.. I know where Buchanan View is located and also know its near the City center, but when i was using the post code in some other website, it said Lanarkshire and I was wondering if Glasgow city center is right...

Now that was the reason I asked here.. I am normally a person who Googles a lot and plans everything thoroughly, as well i keep updated with maps, I ask for help only when if I am either not sure or need an opinion from someone of experience

(Original post by G8D)
    :lolwut:Also re: tips. I think tipping is more important with smaller fares.
    And sorry I didn't get what you meant by that, Do you mean to say £26 is a larger fare?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My comment about tipping was in Calgary, I wouldn't normally tip that much in Glasgow...I'd tip in cafes and restaurants but not in taxis...there I'd just round up to nearest pound :yep:
    I was thinking the same, I thought rounding up to £30 would do good, but had doubts that was meager..

Thank you very much for the input It really took a point of worry away from my planning
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    I don't know where you're booking your taxi but I'm pretty sure I've gotten to/from the airport for less than that using http://glasgowprivatehire.com/

At the very least you could call them up and ask how much it would be from the airport to Buchanan View.
    I was planning to book it from here,

http://www.city-airport-taxis.com/ai...FUFT4godfTAAlg

And Thank you very much for the link.. Will look it up
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LSD)
    Got my results out today! Quick like! Any one else had theirs yet?
    Not yet The first year Biology have theirs and now your class do. We want ours now!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GermanScientist)
    Not yet The first year Biology have theirs and now your class do. We want ours now!
    Are you 2nd year life sciences? We got ours out 30th may last year I think
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LSD)
    Are you 2nd year life sciences? We got ours out 30th may last year I think
    Yeah. Aw man. I just want them now so that it's over with The last 2nd year life sciences exam was the 16th so I'm thinking their meeting might be next week (hoping), so might be on track for the 30th May again :P I do chemistry too and the last exam for that was nearly 2 weeks ago. I just want the results basically
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. Aw man. I just want them now so that it's over with The last 2nd year life sciences exam was the 16th so I'm thinking their meeting might be next week (hoping), so might be on track for the 30th May again :P I do chemistry too and the last exam for that was nearly 2 weeks ago. I just want the results basically
    Won't be long now I'm pretty sure our whole year had all theirs back before June last year! It's hard to relax when you don't know

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LSD)
    Won't be long now I'm pretty sure our whole year had all theirs back before June last year! It's hard to relax when you don't know

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We've found out the examiners' meeting is the 3rd of June and they should be out the 4th. At least we know when we should be getting them now
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    We've found out the examiners' meeting is the 3rd of June and they should be out the 4th. At least we know when we should be getting them now
    Awesome! That's still about a week later than last year right enough. Still it's good to know when you're getting them our markers meeting was the 13th may and we were told we'd get them on the 16th. But it was the 17th, lies!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LSD)
    Awesome! That's still about a week later than last year right enough. Still it's good to know when you're getting them our markers meeting was the 13th may and we were told we'd get them on the 16th. But it was the 17th, lies!
    What liars! Haha hope you did well!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey Chenpan,

Just for info - there is a great express bus service from the airport doors to the city centre. It takes about 25 mins (the same as a taxi) and costs around £6 (no tip required!)

http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/glas...asgow_shuttle/

Best,
    UK Recruitment

I will be using the taxi from Airport to Buchanan View, and searched online for pre-booking, I was wondering how much Should I be paying him as tip? The cost of journey is £26. Cause in my country we often pay 10% or a fixed denomination of 20 or 50. But that's an acceptable amount there.. If i do the same here, it would mean a lot when you look at the conversion. So an idea on the percentage or just a nominal amount for the £26 would be very helpful.

Also which one should I pick for the drop of point among the following to get to Buchanan View?

Popular Locations

Other Locations

Pick up: Ballantrae

Pick up: Blantyre

Pick up: Comrie

Pick up: Dalry

Pick up: East Kilbride

Pick up: Glasgow City Centre

Pick up: Greenock

Pick up: Kilmarnock

Pick up: Troon

Pick up: Turnberry Resort

Glasgow City Centre would be fine right?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    What liars! Haha hope you did well!
    Well enough haha! Can't complain hope you do well too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rio-Glasgow)
    Hey Chenpan,

Just for info - there is a great express bus service from the airport doors to the city centre. It takes about 25 mins (the same as a taxi) and costs around £6 (no tip required!)

http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/glas...asgow_shuttle/

Best,
    UK Recruitment
    Thank you for the information, I wish I had seen this info sooner .. Anyway used the taxi service
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    QUOTE=G8D;43094681]ERASMUS:

Who do I send my confirmation of end to these days? I know Lisa Broadwell left and Sally Baxter should be the person to contact but I emailed her a long while ago and received no response.[/QUOTE]

Hi G8D,

Thanks for the email. Try Seonaid.Dodds@glasgow.ac.uk

Best,
    UK Recruitment
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can someone tell me a bit more about the unions at Glasgow? Like what are the differences - in atmosphere/beliefs etc? Also, what kind of role they play in the university and what difference they make to my time at uni... I don't really understand their use?

Thank you!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 14, 2014
New on TSR

What do you think of the BBC?

UK Parliament wants to hear your views

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.