The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Yes, but if everyone hd a degree, it wouldn't make it any easier to get a job, as you would have no advantage compared to others. Similarly, if everyone did Oxbridge Admissions, it would be no advantage to getting in. However *not* having a degree, or doing Oxbridge Admissions, would be a lack of an advantage that others have.

Saying the purpose of a degree is to further your knowledge is true, as is saying that the purpose of Oxbridge Admissions is to improve your interviewing skills.

It's exactly the same principle, paying and working for a degree in order to get a job, and paying and working over your interview skills in order to get a place.

To those that think it's unethical - is it unethical to pay for a private school, to improve your education? Or to pay for private medical treatment instead of using the NHS? Or even buying Tesco's 'Finest' products because you have the money to pay extra to get a better product? Is capitalism itself unethical, because those who earn more can buy more? I accept there is a difference in education, as it's your parents ability that you're using, but the same is true of most things as a child.

Having said that, if someone saved up to pay for their admissions training, instead of buying a new bike or something, would that be unethical? They've decided Oxbridge is more important than that bike.
I just think they're a rip-off. They're not telling you anything you couldn't find out for free elsewhere, and not giving you any interview practice you couldn't sort out for free. They're perfectly entitled to run their company, but frankly I wouldn't bother spending all that money on them.
MadNatSci
I just think they're a rip-off. They're not telling you anything you couldn't find out for free elsewhere, and not giving you any interview practice you couldn't sort out for free. They're perfectly entitled to run their company, but frankly I wouldn't bother spending all that money on them.

I agree. The people they get to do the interviews aren't always particularly well-qualified -- their current pay rate for interviewers is around £7 an hour so they aren't likely to get the best people. With a bit of effort you can find better people to do your mock interviews (for example Oxbridge post-grads), although usually you would still have to pay them (but not nearly as much as you'd pay this company!).

However I don't really see why this company in particular seems so controversial. Many other tutorial companies and a fair number of schools (both state and independent) provide Oxbridge advice and training. All the Oxbridge Applications is doing is being high-profile about it, and charging a bit more.
Hmm - sounds to me like every insurance company in existence, security firms, most banks - hell, even the Government

Well these examples aren't the most ethical organisations!
Are they not? Humans are naturally risk-averse, so insurance companies provide a vital service.

As to those who picked up on my degree one-liner - I find it interesting that of all I said, you only picked up on a tiny part insignificant to my argument. I apologise if as an economist I seem to have a skewed view, but you cannot deny that one purpose served by a degree is to signal that you have more education (and therefore skills) than non-graduates. That it has other purposes too is neither here nor there when it comes to this argument, which is why I didn't mention them. I'd hoped you would understand that without need of a long-winded explanation.
Reply 25
Alexander
I agree. The people they get to do the interviews aren't always particularly well-qualified -- their current pay rate for interviewers is around £7 an hour so they aren't likely to get the best people. With a bit of effort you can find better people to do your mock interviews (for example Oxbridge post-grads), although usually you would still have to pay them (but not nearly as much as you'd pay this company!).

Actually, I think they use Oxbridge undergrads and grads doing the mock interviews.

Alexander
However I don't really see why this company in particular seems so controversial. Many other tutorial companies and a fair number of schools (both state and independent) provide Oxbridge advice and training. All the Oxbridge Applications is doing is being high-profile about it, and charging a bit more.

Though as statistics show, they work. Plus isn't it free if you don't get a place? A no-win, no-fee type thing?
Drogue
Actually, I think they use Oxbridge undergrads and grads doing the mock interviews

Exactly -- undergrads would usually be too young/inexperienced to give Oxbridge interviews. And sometimes the interviewers aren't grads in the right subject. (I know about it because my father did some interviewing for them before they halved their pay rate to £7).

Drogue
Though as statistics show, they work. Plus isn't it free if you don't get a place? A no-win, no-fee type thing?

I don't deny that what they do can be helpful (though you can't prove the higher success rate is due to them -- anyone who's willing to shell out hundreds of pounds has to be a very serious applicant anyway). I'm just saying that it's available cheaper, if not for free.
it's cheaper than going to private school, though...
Reply 28
Drogue

No, not anymore.
Reply 29
Jools
... independent consultants to teach students how to cope with interview technique prior to their Oxbridge interviews, for example.

but don't you agree that consultants don't make a big difference. I mean if you are good enough to get in... you'll get an offer. But how does stuff like 'oxbridge applications' and stuff actually help, apart from giving you confidence ( and this is only good if you are shy). Most of what they teach you is comon sense like don't swear, don't twitsch, etc. And anyway, the interviewers are not thickos, and can spot a 'well trained person'.

I donno...confusing talk in here :confused:
Reply 30
Phil23
but don't you agree that consultants don't make a big difference. I mean if you are good enough to get in... you'll get an offer. But how does stuff like 'oxbridge applications' and stuff actually help, apart from giving you confidence ( and this is only good if you are shy). Most of what they teach you is comon sense like don't swear, don't twitsch, etc. And anyway, the interviewers are not thickos, and can spot a 'well trained person'.

I donno...confusing talk in here :confused:

that's not what they teach in their interview training. they try and kickstart your lateral thinking, and ability to argue, explain, etc
fishpaste
that's not what they teach in their interview training. they try and kickstart your lateral thinking, and ability to argue, explain, etc

If you don't have the ability to do that to begin with they're not going to be able to train it into you. The interviewers aim to try to get the best out of you; they help you through lateral thinking stuff, but if you have the ability you'll pick up on what they're getting at in the interview, without training.

The way I see it, they can't tell you what questions you're going to be asked - every interview is different - so the only thing it's good for is to practise talking to a stranger. Which you could do easily - get a friend of your parents, no matter whom as long as you don't know them, to 'interview' you. It doesn't even have to be about your subject, it could be a mock job interview. Alternatively if you have teachers you don't know, get them to do it even if you know them it can help you. I don't see that it's necessary to go to Oxbridge Applications and spend all that money, I really don't.
Reply 32
MadNatSci
If you don't have the ability to do that to begin with they're not going to be able to train it into you. The interviewers aim to try to get the best out of you; they help you through lateral thinking stuff, but if you have the ability you'll pick up on what they're getting at in the interview, without training.

The way I see it, they can't tell you what questions you're going to be asked - every interview is different - so the only thing it's good for is to practise talking to a stranger. Which you could do easily - get a friend of your parents, no matter whom as long as you don't know them, to 'interview' you. It doesn't even have to be about your subject, it could be a mock job interview. Alternatively if you have teachers you don't know, get them to do it even if you know them it can help you. I don't see that it's necessary to go to Oxbridge Applications and spend all that money, I really don't.

I agree that talking to a complete stranger like you said would be pretty much the same as they offer, and obviously a whole lot cheaper. But I don't agree that an interviewer could necessarily get that out of you if you 'naturally had it.' Some people are just trained to think entirely the wrong way by alevels, and it takes a bit more than a 20 minute interview for it to be reversed.
Reply 33
what i don't like about these services is that not only do they cost a lot, their advice is not just freely available elsewhere but often not in the best interests of the candidate. the brochure says that at the start of the oxbridge application procedure, they'll help you choose a subject and a college to maximise your chances. choosing a subject to maximise chances? that won't make for a great oxbridge experience whether you get in or not. same is true for helping you choose a college, because playing the numbers game in picking a college on entry stats really doesn't work.

and someone once told a story about an interviewer who saw two candidates who'd quite clearly been coached by the same person/company, because they came in and both instantly complimented her curtains.
they came in and both instantly complimented her curtains.

That is horrendous, how on earth could you ever do that in an interview?! Just go in there, they know what they are looking for and they know how to find it. They also know who has been trained and they aren't looking for perfection, they are loking for potential!
Of course you don't have to go to Oxbridge Applications, and no it won't work complete wonders for you and turn idiots into suave, confident interviewees. But it will give a moderate amount of help, help that a lot of people are willing to pay for. Leave them be.

As for what exactly it can do - no, of course they can't predict what questions you'll be asked. But there's a lot more to having a good interview than knowing the answers to the questions. Not everyone will immediately realise to lead the interviewer through the salient points of their thinking, or how to relate back to things they've read at key points.

As an aside, the bit about helping you choose a course is obviously for the tiny minority that are genuinely flexible. It's not like they say, "no, Medicine is far too competitive, apply for Classics" - more along the lines of "if you're only mildly interested in the language aspect, straight Law is considerably easier to get into than Law with German Law, and you can keep up your language skills via other means".

But anyway, I'm going to reiterate something that's very important here. The vast majority of you dissing them have not used them. Of the one and a half thousand people that do use them each year, however, the satisfaction rate is extremely high indeed. Last year they received a grand total of TWO complaints. Oxbridge themselves don't deliver to those standards!
On re-reading that post, I'd like to make clear that the first line is NOT meant to imply that you lot are idiots. :biggrin:
Reply 37
ok heres some information about them, they are a privately run company who were apparently set up by ex oxford tutors. you pay £180 for the whole shebang, which includes a day at their offices where you get some talks and 2 mock interviews. of the £180 you pay £40 for a book that they send to you that is "personalized" ie you have your name on front page saying what subject and what college you are applying to. the book consists of a whole section of general interview tips (dress/behaviours etc..), then one section is full of information about your chosen college and the next section is concerning your subject. basically a list of topics they may ask you about followed by a list of questions asked in previous years. having seen one it seems they are all sent the same thing depending on college/subject.

oxbridge applications company (if i remember correctly) employ undergrads to stand around on various open days at both unis and obtain contact emails from students, who seeing students asking them feel fine to divulge this info.

although there is a guarantee that if you don't get an interview then you will get a refund I can't help but feel it is a total waste of money. all you have to do is look on the net and you find all the info you could possibly need. these guys are making a lot!
ThePants999
On re-reading that post, I'd like to make clear that the first line is NOT meant to imply that you lot are idiots. :biggrin:

And I hope you didn't mean to make out that Classics is an amazingly easy subject to get in for either....
Reply 39
ThePants999
Of course you don't have to go to Oxbridge Applications, and no it won't work complete wonders for you and turn idiots into suave, confident interviewees. But it will give a moderate amount of help, help that a lot of people are willing to pay for. Leave them be.

As for what exactly it can do - no, of course they can't predict what questions you'll be asked. But there's a lot more to having a good interview than knowing the answers to the questions. Not everyone will immediately realise to lead the interviewer through the salient points of their thinking, or how to relate back to things they've read at key points.

As an aside, the bit about helping you choose a course is obviously for the tiny minority that are genuinely flexible. It's not like they say, "no, Medicine is far too competitive, apply for Classics" - more along the lines of "if you're only mildly interested in the language aspect, straight Law is considerably easier to get into than Law with German Law, and you can keep up your language skills via other means".

But anyway, I'm going to reiterate something that's very important here. The vast majority of you dissing them have not used them. Of the one and a half thousand people that do use them each year, however, the satisfaction rate is extremely high indeed. Last year they received a grand total of TWO complaints. Oxbridge themselves don't deliver to those standards!

that is a fair assessment. but i'm still not convinced that they are useful; looking at their success rate you have to account for the fact that a lot of candidates on these undeniably expensive courses will have reasonably well-off families, and they tend to fare slightly better anyway for whatever reason (fewer distractions from work, able to locate nearer a good school etc). but i take your point that its not designed to work wonders, which is perhaps why they get few complaints because its not expected to be a crucial factor in whether someone gets in

Latest

Trending

Trending