The Student Room Group

Need some advice on Maths and Statistics GCSE's

Hey,

I wanted to find out a few things, I hope you can help!

I am required to either have completed maths or statistics at GCSE level, and have obtained a B or higher grade.

I was wondering, what one do you think is easier? I personally have problems with algebra and shapes.. so yeh, I would like to know about that.

Also I would like to know, what do you think is the easiest board to go with? from my research it seems to be Edexcel, again replies would be much appreciated.

Last point being, do you know how many times a year the GCSE tests are? I need to be able to prepare for the exams in advance.

All help would be much appreciated.

Crypto
Maths is easier, but that's just my opinion.

How do you find handling data and probability, etc ?
Reply 2
Statistics is just tedious - definitions etc, and maths would probably help you more anyway.
If I were you I would do AS Maths as it's still quite easy, and there is no coursework!
either way you HAVE to do GCSE maths as it is required by the government and for entry to uni.
Reply 4
You shouldn't be making a decision on how easy they are. Chose the one you most enjoy.

Oh yeah and maths is compulsory.

Just do stats, when you get that extra GCSE it will greatly extend your e-peen on here.
Reply 5
Maths is a lot better than Statistics. And tbh, when going for work, Maths will nearly always be required & Stats just won't cut it i'm afraid.

Most people will only have done one exam board - either go for AQA or Edexcel, they are the most popular. I personally did Edexcel.

And the exams normally take place in January & June & sometimes November.

You might have to sort out coursework arrangements as well.
Reply 6
sweet ok thanks for that, so maths it is, can you guys help on the other questions too please, will be much appreciated.

I want to get into Oxford Brookes, and they require for me to atleast get a B or more in Maths or statistics, this is the only reason im doing gcse's >.<
Reply 7
cryptology
sweet ok thanks for that, so maths it is, can you guys help on the other questions too please, will be much appreciated.

I want to get into Oxford Brookes, and they require for me to atleast get a B or more in Maths or statistics, this is the only reason im doing gcse's >.<

So wait, are you doing GCSE's of AS/A2 now?
Reply 8
cryptology

Are you from abroad or something?

That's not a very good reason for doing GCSE's..
Reply 9
well im at Open university, doing social sciences, but to get into brookes next year, I need to get the GCSE requirements too. Hope this clears things up ^^
Reply 10
Oh right. Do it in maths then.
Have a look at the specificaions on the repsective websites, choose the exam board with the least coursework, as that will be a hassle (and it's much easier to screw up).
Reply 12
maths is better. And easier, I think.
Reply 13
http://www.edexcel.org.uk/sfc/feschools/timetables-keydates/gcse/

^ does this mean I can sit it in march if I go with Edexcel? thanks!
Reply 14
Both are equally easy in my opinion.
I'm doing both maths and statistics in gcse...

Stats is easier, in my opinion, but it is VERY VERY tedious because it's mainly things like standard deviation, weighted birth/death rates, weighted ratios, index numbers, handling data etc.

the coursework, especially, was tedious..
having to handle data from a 10% sample of your school is ridiculous..

but neither are easy for me
i have to work my socks off to get good grades
it just doesn't come naturally to me -sighs-
but don't worry
work hard at it
do loadsa past exams
and you'll get the B/A/A* grades you're aiming for!

Latest