The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Craig Cox - WTF (long)

OK so all is going well and I'm ignoring this whole racism debacle because it doesn't affect my life when this unsolicited deal arrives in my inbox:

Hey Guys

Just want to quickly introduce myself. My name is Sam ******** and I am the rep for the School of Chemistry on the Students’ Union Council. Union Council is the highest decision making body in the Students’ Union. It’s made up of representatives from all sorts of student groups including undergraduates, postgraduates, JCRs, associations and student-run services.

The Council decides on Union policy, mandates people to put policies into action and ensures the Exec and other people within the Students’ Union are doing their jobs properly. As your rep, it is my job to represent all Chemistry students to the Council, and in return, represent the Council to you. Through both your Course Reps (who sit on the Student Staff Consultative Committee) and me, we can work to sort out any issues that you may have with your course, the facilities on offer, or any other problem that you might have. Please feel free to contact your Course Reps or myself with any issues!

As some of you may have heard, on Tuesday night there was an Extraordinary Meeting of the Union Council. A vote of No Confidence was tabled to have Craig Cox, our Education Officer on the SU Exec, removed from Office. This was because in August, Craig accidentally held up a placard saying ‘Bring Back Slavery’ during an NUS training scenario. It is important to note, that the sign was not of Craig’s creation, and as soon as he saw that he was holding up the wrong sign he took it down. He apologised several times at the event in question and has subsequently publicly apologised. Some of you might have also seen a statement he (on the advice of Lawyers) released to the press. This statement, which he has agreed was inadvisably inflammatory, has now been withdrawn, and he has apologised for its release.

Having heard all the arguments it is my opinion that Craig is not a racist, and at no time has Craig been advocating a racist agenda, or the return of Slavery (which is acknowledged to be one of the darkest periods of human history, but one which still occurs even now). Craig vehemently opposes both of these things.

The issue of whether Craig should remain in post is not an issue of racism (as some have made it out to be), but of his ability to continue on in the role, given the events that have occurred. I have already spoken with some students regarding this issue, and have received letters from others regarding his actions.

Whilst he did not mean to display the sign, his actions both then and subsequently have brought disrepute to the Students’ Union. Therefore, before the Extraordinary Meeting, the Union Council voted to Censure Craig Cox, which is a public reprimand for his actions.

At the Extraordinary meeting, having heard arguments and rationale from both sides of the issue, the Union Council voted by an almost two thirds majority against the Motion for No Confidence and to keep Craig on as our Education Officer on our SU Exec.

I know that this is a contentious issue, and should anyone want further information on this subject, or wish to raise any other issue with me, please do not hesitate to email me (*****@nottingham.ac.uk)

Many thanks

Sam ********

OK so obviously since the explanations given in this email are stupid as Hell I send an email to the address that was offered.

Well, since you offered your email address out I have a couple of questions regarding this.

1. How did he accidentally hold up the wrong sign? Who was responsible for the sign being in a position where it might be mistaken for the correct sign? If you have access to enough information regarding the exact circumstances to convince you personally that it was an accident then I'd like to see it, because you did not present it in the original email.

2. The statement he released to the press on the advice of his lawyers was as follows: 'These witch-hunts have got to stop. It's about time the NUS started representing ordinary students again and stopped acting as a front for Left-wing zealots.' Are you seriously saying that the Education Officer and a team of lawyers failed to notice that this statement might possibly be inflammatory until it got published? Who were the lawyers? Are they employed by the SU? Have they been sacked for being complete ****ing idiots?

That turned out to be more than a couple of questions. Sorry.

George Noble

Well Sam hasn't replied which IMO is a pretty dick thing to do if you offer an email address to which people can ask questions since I did waste time typing a whole email. Was anyone here in the Extraordinary Meeting and if so do you have any kind of answers to the questions I asked? I'm especially curious to know why lawyers would advise Craig to make that statement without realising it would upset people. I have worked with lawyers quite a bit and none of the ones I've worked with had the requisite extra chromosome to make this sort of piss-poor decision.

Or am I missing something??

Scroll to see replies

I don't see why theres such a debate over this. He held up a sign called "bring back slavery", it's racist, full stop. You don't do something like that on accident or for a joke, especially in a situation like that.

Just get rid of whatever position he's currently holding. Simple.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Multiplexed
I don't see why theres such a debate over this. He held up a sign called "bring back slavery", it's racist, full stop. You don't do something like that on accident or for a joke, especially in a situation like that.

Just get rid of whatever position he's currently holding. Simple.

I don't know too much about Craig but I'm under the impression that he's either being completely foolhardy and cowardly in not offering a decent apology and trying to save face with his "left wing zealots" statements and he's been very badly advised.Or worse than that , he's abusing his position to promote obscene xenophobic viewpoints - a sign "bring back slavery" is obviously going to be inflammatory to some extent so I find it difficult he'd do that "by accident".

Either of those reasons lead to the sensible conslusion that he's not suitable for such a role so I signed a motion of no confidence to be forwarded to the Maths rep earlier on.
Reply 3
So one of his mates sends an e-mail around saying that he knows Craig and he's not a racist and we should forgive him? Brilliant. The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me. Get him the **** out. Whether it was an accidental mistake or not - he should be removed from his post.
Reply 4
This is the email I got from the CS union council rep:
Hi everyone!

Right, I'll get right down to the crux of this email - namely an introduction on my part, a report back on the Jeremy Kyle episode of Students' Union council that we had on Tuesday night, and a TL;DR at the end of it all for the minimalists amongst us (although I obviously recommend you read the lot given that I've typed it all up!)

As you might have guessed, my name is Laurence; I'm a second year in Mathematics and Computer Science, and you all have the dubious honour of having me as your academic representative for the School of Computer Science on this years' Students' Union - which means that in a roundabout kind of way, I'm the guy that all of your coursereps feed into with input that you all provide them regarding issues such as (about to blatantly nick this list from the coursereps handout at the school office desk...):

- Library and IT resources
- Teaching quality
- Exams and coursework
- Course structure
- Tutorial support

Although with that being said, a fair few of you know me (or of me) already and I make a point of being all too easy to grab a hold of and have words with if there's an issue that either you feel needs bringing directly to myself or if your courserep isn't getting his/her job done properly (it happens, I know full well :/) - long and short, if there's critique, I'd like to hear it so I can get it brought to the appropriate place - I work with the Faculty of Science coordinator Henry Blanchard, and indirectly with Craig Cox, the Education Officer.

I'll also be addressing you in advance of Students' Union council meetings (something I forgot to get around to doing before the first one on Tuesday, which I apologise for) with issues that are pertinent to us all as students of the University and requesting feedback so that I can chuck together a report to present to council if needs be!

Right, onto the council meeting itself - again I apologise for not actually getting in touch with you all prior to it, it won't happen again! Insofar as what was dealt with in the council meeting itself, there are only a handful of issues that you may wish to be aware of, and these are:

1) As of this year, the Summer Party will be considered a Student-Run Service no longer solely under the wing of Broadgate Park and Derby and Lincoln Halls. What does this mean for you? Not too much really, save for the fact that now people from all halls can be chosen to serve on the Summer Party Exec, as well as the usual malarkey about having a bit more freedom to play around with finance, security et al - the debate as to further impact got quite heated when we were voting on the motion, so expect to hear more about this.

2) The JCR logo is apparently being reconsidered, due to it 'being designed by a four year old' with no communication between the JCR Exec and the SU. This was a pretty vague point, but suffice to say you may be seeing some kind of new graphical gimmick appearing at some point, if you even notice the change is a different story...

The real meat of the evening was saved for the Extraordinary Council immediately afterwards to debate and ultimately vote on the issue of effectively sacking Craig Cox (re: the impact and repercussions of his inadvertently holding up a 'Bring Back Slavery' sign at a NUS rally at York University), our Education Officer. The fact that I still refer to him as our Education Officer says it all about how the vote slided, but I have the following to mention:

i) Some of you may not even be aware of the issue at hand. Those of you that are will probably either have been apathetic about it, outraged at the audacity of the man, or simply have a fuzzy knowledge about it due to campaigners asking you to sign letters calling for his removal from office. I'll remain impartial on the issue, but those of you who genuinely wish to hear more about what happened can contact me in one of the ways I'll mention below and I'll get back to you.

ii) When it came to the vote as to No Confidencing Craig (council jargon wherein saying 'yes' was to sack him, and 'no' was to keep him), given that I hadn't voiced this issue to you all prior I abstained from the vote, as I really wouldn't have been able to justify myself to any Computer Science students who genuinely did want him removed or firmly believed his repentance for the incident. Of 56 votes cast with a special majority of 38 'yes' votes required for the No Confidence to go through, 19 were received. Motion fell, Craig Cox remains.

With the exception of that though, by and large it was a very ordinary meeting with nothing in particular aimed at Computer Science as a department (as these things usually are)...I haven't really got much to report further than that.

In closing then, thanks for reading this if you've bothered to, and below are my contact details if you wish to get in touch about any pertinent issues relating to Computer Science!

E-Mail: *******@nottingham.ac.uk
(not giving my cell number, sorry ladies!)
Facebook: Laurence Day [networks: Uni. Nottingham 2011, South Africa]

And as I promised...

Too Long; Didn't Read: Hi, I'm Laurence your school rep, Summer Party is a SRS from now, Craig Cox didn't get sacked.

All the best!

Laurence
Reply 5
Barny
So one of his mates sends an e-mail around saying that he knows Craig and he's not a racist and we should forgive him? Brilliant. The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me. Get him the **** out. Whether it was an accidental mistake or not - he should be removed from his post.

I agree it's retarded especially when the guy who invited me to ask him questions won't return my email.

Alex your subject rep sounds much better than mine since mine seems like a right tit (this is before I've even met him). I might email him instead.
Reply 6
The whole "I held up the wrong sign, lulz" argument is pretty crap and would crumble under interrogation by a lawyer in court.

"Y hello thar, i'ma should be let off for mudering my wife because i'ma though she was thief, i'ma killed the wrong person, would you LOOK AT THAT?"

Nevertheless, the whole incident has been blown out of proportion. What annoys me is not the sign (I'm a firm supporter of freedom of speech and Voltaire's idea of "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it") but which moron thought it would be a good idea to publicise and blow the whole thing out of proportion. Guessing that wasn't Craig himself, it'd be a pretty retarded thing to do if it was, in which case i'm obviously in favour of him being sacked, however, simply on the principle that idiots should not be in positions of power.

He made it worst though by going to the press (especially the Daily Mail, lol) and writing what he did. In fact, why I am complaining, I love random "Drama" like this, and wish I had been there to add more randomness and **** to the debate. I'd just throw in random questions on abortion, human rights, the credit crunch, the iraq war, nuclear power and feminism to add to the whole rascist idea.

I also agree with burningnun. Who were these "lawyers" that told him to publicise what he did? They sound mildly retarded or genius to have created such lulz from such a small thing. "Erm, yeah, why don't you just throw some **** in there about how you keep a slave in your back yard to wash and clean for you, that should go down well and get you off the hook. That's what I'd do anyway, and I have 30 years of experience of escaping slavery charges."
^ lmao funny guy
Reply 8
Craig Cox is serious business.
Reply 9
I agree it wasn't a big deal it's just when this imbecile insulted my intelligence and told me that he held up the wrong sign then didn't return my email that he asked for that I got a bit pissed off. I would have voted to give him the big boot not because he's a racist POS but because he's actually stupid enough to expect us to believe his story.

I wonder if my rep really believes it or if he has some other agenda either way I think he's a right C until he proves otherwise.
Reply 10
burningnun
I agree it wasn't a big deal it's just when this imbecile insulted my intelligence and told me that he held up the wrong sign then didn't return my email that he asked for that I got a bit pissed off. I would have voted to give him the big boot not because he's a racist POS but because he's actually stupid enough to expect us to believe his story.

I wonder if my rep really believes it or if he has some other agenda either way I think he's a right C until he proves otherwise.

That is an extremely valid point.
Reply 11
burningnun
I have worked with lawyers quite a bit and none of the ones I've worked with had the requisite extra chromosome to make this sort of piss-poor decision.

Or am I missing something??

+100 points for this reference. I owe you something for this.
4chan words used in a debate = an hero.
Reply 13
Multiplexed
4chan words used in a debate = an hero.

Craig Cox is "an hero". True story.
Reply 14
Meh 4chan gets credit for a bunch of stuff they probably don't deserve and even if it did originate there they're basically just internet words now. This is hardly a debate it's more of a call-out thread because someone didn't reply to my email.
Reply 15
Morning guys- just a quick note on the Craig Cox affair- as a faculty coordinator I work in close consultation with Craig, and have been exposed to the whole 'bring back slavery' debacle both pre and post the extraordinary council.

Whilst a lot of the reasoning behind his actions ("I didn't realise what the sign said" etc.) may seem spurious or even false, it is important to bear in mind that after a lengthy NUS investigation, he was cleared of most (but not all) of the alleged wrongdoings.

Furthermore, on the night of the council, many documents from his aforementioned lawyers were presented. Now, I don't know where Craig solicits his legal advice, but I would suggest refraining from asking him for the name of any reputable barristers or solicitors in the future. The advice these so called "experts" presented him with was militant right wing at best, inflammatory and completely ill-informed.

Over the course of the two and a half hour debate, many arguments were presented on both sides, but it was the view of council- informed by our constituents and tempered with our own greater knowledge of the events- that Craig should stay in his job.

However, I and one of my faculty coordinator colleagues put forward a "motion of censure" of Craig- interpretations differ as to what this actually represents- from a slap on the wrist to a severe **********. We put this motion in as a 'fail safe' should the "No con" not be voted through. It was important that within the NUS and the university itself we (as a representative and equal opportunities Student Union) had been seen to take some action, and we felt that this censure not only expressed student sentiment, but covered the SU's ass in the NUS and national press.

This motion passed unanimously, even Craig himself voting for it.

This whole situation has been handled in a fashion far from ideal, by both Craid and the SU Exec, but Council (as the elected voice of the students- how disenfranchised you feel by this is another issue entirely) has voted and the SU now has to abide by the mandate given to it and support Craig in his role as Education Officer.

If you have any specific questions, I would be glad to answer them for you, either by private message or by email, though I can't guarantee the speediest turnaround as its course rep election time..

Rereading this post and the thread, it seems I've completely failed to answer any of your queries- I'll come back and write something more coherent tomorrow when it's not 4am in Lenton and my girlfriend's snoring is keeping me up...

Henry Blanchard
Faculty of Science Coordinator
Karnival Director
[email protected]
Why did this Craig even have a sign that said 'Bring back slavery' anyway? Why does the sign even exist in such a setting? I don't believe a word of this 'apology.'
Reply 17
Toxic Tears
Why did this Craig even have a sign that said 'Bring back slavery' anyway? Why does the sign even exist in such a setting? I don't believe a word of this 'apology.'

Well that's one question I asked the cockchafer who emailed me, isn't it? He didn't reply. His email is *******@nottingham.ac.uk if you think you'll have better luck.
Reply 18
Toxic Tears

For attention...

Why did this happenn anyway, he should be filling his role as Education Officer instead of mucking about pulling stupid attention grabbing pranks and then trying to botch up a poor excuse.
Reply 19
The event occured during a typical NUS workshop session, which is more of an excuse for sabbatical officers to sit around and indulge in "banter" with each other than a useful learning toole.

I personally believe that Craig's sign wasn't nearly the most offensive slogan or idea to be banded around that day. The fault lies not only with the individuals, but also with the NUS for letting such a session get so far away from it's main purpose that anyone was writing such slogans down.

Latest

Trending

Trending