The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

"Rough" areas in cardiff?

Scroll to see replies

As long as you don't stray off the beaten track, you'll be absolutely fine in Cardiff. It's not worth worrying about as long as you don't advertise yourself stupidly. Of course, people will get mugged now and then, and you'll occasionally get the odd bit of trouble, but as a rule the rate of violent crime in Cardiff is ridiculously low.

As for Butetown, I remember walking from Cardiff to the Bay and back when I was 12 - no one bothered us in the slightest, as far as I can remember!
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 41
My son had his mobile phone stolen off him by a group of Somalis by the museum (he's 15). I don't live in Cardiff, but when I'm in uni I feel perfectly safe walking around in the daytime. However, wherever you are it's probably not advisable to go wandering the streets at night. Obviously it doesn't mean something bad will happen if you do, but there is always a chance and I suppose it depends on how much risk you want to take.
Reply 42
CatatonicStupor
God, I must be the luckiest person alive. You have all these tales like "Never walk down Queen Street alone" or "I was mugged by Maindy Pool"....****, I really must have a rabbit's foot up my arse or something.

I've walked back from Chippy Alley [and the first person to call it Chippy Lane gets a slap] at 4 in the morning, blindingly drunk, up the Hayes, along Park Place, and up to Taly North, and not a soul has hassled me, or even looked at me twice.
Last night I wandered around, on my own, waiting for a friend, and decided to kill an hour by exploring Cathays. I've never walked so many dark streets alone in my life, and yet nobody even looked at me twice.

I've had the talks from my dad about "Don't drive through Canton/Riverside/Leckwith alone..." and managed to live in all of those situations. And the same for "Don't get a train or walk to Butetown/Grangetown" - Aside from Grangetown, which I've driven through but not walked through, I've done Butetown many a time.

To be honest, rough places are what you make of them. Maybe if you're going to walk around a) scared out of your mind, or b) flashin yr dollah-dollah, then you're going to get someone hassling you. I've never had the lack of common sense to walk through a strange area of a city thinking "****, someone is gonna knife me, best start looking round all edgy like" or "I know, I'll just take out my wallet for no reason..."

THEN AGAIN - people say where I live is "rough" and there are areas you shouldn't go at night, and things you shouldn't do at night and places you should just never go to. And it's all a load of crap, as far as I've seen. Everywhere is different...

Try it :tongue: I've always known it as Chippy Lane and so has everyone I know!

As for living in Cardiff, it's a great City, and if you just follow normal social rules then you're going to be fine.
Every city has it's areas with a bad reputation, it's an unavoidable fact, but as has already been said, act normally and you'll be fine.
ChrisM.
Try it :tongue: I've always known it as Chippy Lane and so has everyone I know!

As for living in Cardiff, it's a great City, and if you just follow normal social rules then you're going to be fine.
Every city has it's areas with a bad reputation, it's an unavoidable fact, but as has already been said, act normally and you'll be fine.

Haha. I think I should concede defeat. I was out tonight for a 20th, and everyone in Wetherspoons called it that, and everyone who was out too. Maybe I'm just being an idiot and trying to make it sound nice, even if it is a hellhole. :o:
Yeah, it's definitely Chippy Lane... the Chippy Alley thing was made up by English students :p:
Reply 45
cardiff is actually (compared to a lot of other cities) quite safe.
i think butetown and grangetown probably sound worse than they are but my boyfriend has been mugged there twice by somali kids.. the same ones haha.. kind of a hint for him not to go there again but hey.
i love how people mentioned splott and llanrumney.. ok it is quite bad but i live there people!
Reply 46
SweetestDownfall
I'm from Splott, which has been mentioned a few times as a 'rough' area of Cardiff, and I now live in Cathays in a student house, and to be honest I'd say Cathays was way rougher than Splott! I never feel scared walking around the streets in Splott even at night, yet in my first week in Cathays some random man came up to me and my friends as we were walking home from town and started asking us if we wanted to do a 'deal' on some computers! :s-smilie:

Splott people! woo. Did you go to Willows by any chance?
tashii1411
Splott people! woo. Did you go to Willows by any chance?

Haha woo! And nope sorry, St Illtyds! :smile:
Cardiff's quite safe. Me and a friend went walking in Butetown, no trouble whatsoever...although we stayed to the outskirts and it was daytime. Butetown, Ely and Grangetown are probably some of the roughest places.
Reply 49
I'll be needing to get back from somewhere by where Newport Road turns onto City Road, up to Lidl on Maindy Road on Friday at around midnight. Now I'm not stupid enough to walk up City Road alone at midnight, but going down Newport Road, onto Queen St and out up Park Place should be fine, right? Or should I be sacrificing my babysitting money for a taxi?
Go along City Road/Crwys Road/Woodville Road instead, there'll be drunk student girls everywhere and you'll be a less obvious target.
City Road's pretty studenty and there will be plenty of people about even at midnight (and rapists/muggers tend not to strike in well-lit, busyish areas), I wouldn't worry too much. Just do what Adam says; City Road, onto Crwys road, down Woodville road and up Maindy Road. Although I guess there wouldn't be that much difference in the time it took if you did it your way...
Reply 52
Cheers, just wasn't sure how friendly City Road would be at night lol. I can get a bus if the parents get back at around 11.30 anyway...
I have been staying in Butetown. I have been walking home very late into the night from my job. The first few days were fine but then yesterday 6 Somali guys with knives rushed up on me near the Construction Center. Had to give away the money. Thank God they left my mobile and watch. I must say I am scared of this area. All these Somalis are a problem.I am not being racist but the police should tame that community.
subho_cardiff
I have been staying in Butetown. I have been walking home very late into the night from my job. The first few days were fine but then yesterday 6 Somali guys with knives rushed up on me near the Construction Center. Had to give away the money. Thank God they left my mobile and watch. I must say I am scared of this area. All these Somalis are a problem.I am not being racist but the police should tame that community.

Did you seriously just create an account to post that?!
Haha woo! And nope sorry, St Illtyds!

Ooh I know tonnes of people who went there, and looking at your profile, you're in your first year of uni so I know quite a few people who were in your year. heh, small world :smile:

I don't live in Cardiff, well I did for 3 months, but I have a lot of friends there.

To the OP; It's a capital city and it has it's rough areas. Like any urban place, there is going to be crime and you WILL hear the scary tales, BUT provided you have a small bit of common sense you're going to be absolutely fine. A lot of the stories you hear about could've been prevented with a bit of sense and although there are some people who are just generally unlucky, those cases are rare. If you can take care of yourself and have your wits about you I can't see why you would run into trouble.

I've walked through Tremorfa steaming drunk, alone, wearing a short dress at 2 o Clock in the morning and didn't have one ounce of trouble. In hindsight, that was a ridiculous thing for me to do, but yeah, drink, makes fools of us all. The same goes for Llanrumney. Has a bad reputation but I've been there loads and walked through there alone at midnight and not been bothered at all. I think if you leave people alone, and give them no reason to bother you you don't have to worry. Of course there are going to be a minority you pick fights for no reason but they're that; a very small minority.

Oh and be nice to the 17yr old kids drinking in Rumney Quarry/Eastern Leisure centre. Or at least the ones I know, they're actually really nice. :p:

Aw I'm missing Cardiff. Can't wait to go back there for Uni if I get in! :biggrin:
To all girls: just be on your guard, and don't be alone; even in the relative 'safety' of Uni halls... two girls have been raped; hopefully there won't be any further incidents, but just be careful.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8294158.stm
Woah. That's awful :|

Poor girls :frown:
CrazyChris
To all girls: just be on your guard, and don't be alone; even in the relative 'safety' of Uni halls... two girls have been raped; hopefully there won't be any further incidents, but just be careful.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8294158.stm

I am in no way trying to dismiss this incident, but both happened on the same night (possibly and in Treforest/Pontypridd, not Cardiff. So no need to panic, Cardiff is a ridiculously safe place compared to other big cities in the UK and the Welsh Valley towns. That's not to say you shouldn't be sensible and stay alert, but there's no need to be paranoid.
Reply 59
Im new in here but just out of interest, do you think i'll get by in cardiff? Im from London, and I grew up in Acton, Brixton and Hackney, whats cardiff like?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending