The Student Room Group

TSR's Pro-Europe Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Tamora
I hadn't seen that poll. It's not surprising the political establishment won't risk a referendum.

Agreed. I think that is what makes this such an important issue, the British people should be allowed to have their say. Even IF there is no legal need to (which there is), the government should still ask the people becasue further European intergration is something that will have a dramtic impact on our rights and our lives.
Reply 81
Kolobok
If the EEA is more beneficial to states, then why do so many pursue EU membership? Allow me to answer: it's because they'd rather be part of a community that writes the rules rather than simply being subject to those rules.

And as for all those statistics out of context... well, yeah, consider the context.
Surveys on public opinion show as much ignorance as they do understanding. Just consider the recent Irish 'no' vote on the Lisbon Treaty. Fear based on misunderstanding will only take us back to isolation, and to believe that we can achieve economic betterment in that way is simply naive.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I know it will make no difference :smile:

States persuing membership of the EU now are poor. Perhaps they are doing so, certainly in large part, because of the cash on offer?

So you're in favour of the full and candid public debate approach then, which is the only way to ensure a vote based on knowledge? No, I thought not. What makes you think the Irish no voters based their vote on 'misunderstanding' anyway?

And only fools want isolation. To believe that we can achieve economic betterment through membership of the EU, or even in spite of it, is simply naive.

Rob 106

Agreed. I think that is what makes this such an important issue, the British people should be allowed to have their say. Even IF there is no legal need to (which there is), the government should still ask the people becasue further European intergration is something that will have a dramtic impact on our rights and our lives.

The judgement in Stuart Wheeler's case against the government with regard to a referendum went against him. The judiciary says the government need not hold a referendum. The kindest thing you could say about them is that they don't want to rock the boat.

http://www.stuartwheeler.co.uk/
Reply 82
106 Rob
Agreed. I think that is what makes this such an important issue, the British people should be allowed to have their say.

And presumably no other issue which has ever faced Britain has required such treatment because?

Even IF there is no legal need to (which there is)

Are you seriously suggesting there is a legal requirement on us having a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty, or indeed anything? Because there's quite obviously not.

further European intergration is something that will have a dramtic impact on our rights and our lives.

I strongly disagree. All the European integration in the world hasn't made a blind bit of difference to me, and the only way it can particularly impact my life in the foreseeable future is if I decide to go and work abroad.
Reply 83
Kolobok - What context? British people should at least have the right to decide? Do you not agree?

We should have a referendum because the in the Labour party's manifesto they promised a referendum on an EU constitution, and it is widely argreed that the Lisbon treaty is basically EU constitution under another name.

Further intergration will have an effect. For example you can already be arrested for offences which are not illegal in this country - Holocaust denial, whilst an evil and misguided thing, is not illegal in this country, and yet you can be arrested because it is illegal in Germany! - http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/oct/02/secondworldwar.australia
Who knows what will happen with further intergration. The EU is bad Britain, which is why we should leave, but it is also bad for all member states. Each country should make its own decisions.
Love Europe, hate the EU.
Reply 84
106 Rob
Kolobok - What context? British people should at least have the right to decide? Do you not agree?

Referendums blow goats.

We should have a referendum because the in the Labour party's manifesto they promised a referendum on an EU constitution, and it is widely argreed that the Lisbon treaty is basically EU constitution under another name.

It's the constitution minus everything that made it a constitution.
Reply 85
I have no idea why someone decides that I'm not in favour of the "full and candid public debate approach". Of course I am!

I'm not a researcher who has been around Ireland to find out the exact reason the Irish voted 'no' on the Lisbon Treaty, but I've seen several brief interviews (and no, I'm not trying to support their reliability, I'm merely saying that this is the most insight I've had to that matter) where Irish citizens have openly declared that they did not have enough information on what the Treaty entailed and voted against it purely because they didn't want to risk losing any more sovereignty to the EU. Others were encouraged to vote against it because it "supported abortion" or some **** like that. Sorry I don't have any sources by the way, I guess I don't have time to look into it now, but I hope that at least gives me a right to have a say in this little discussion.

As for the context of that Eurosceptic campaign group's survey then...
Firstly, people are more than likely to opt for more autonomy regardless of the issues at stake, and especially if they don't fully understand the issues (I completely agree that the EU needs to be more in touch with the citizens. It seems to be developing in the right direction although much more does need to be done on this front).

Secondly, it's hard to have a completely open question of course, but look just how leading the options were.

1) about an ideal relationship with Europe:
- one based simply on trade and co-operation.
Perhaps the option wasn't quite worded in this way on the survey, but nevertheless the question is more "would you like to be in it for all the benefits of trade?" rather than "would you like to lose certain social, occupational, industrial and commercial benefits?"
- to stay a full EU member.
Whilst the survey implies a desperate need for improvement (hence the whole point of their campaign), the idea of remaining in the same situation doesn't have much appeal.
- to withdraw altogether.
The opposite of above.

Asked what should happen if Britain sought to negotiate a looser relationship but other nations blocked the move..."

This also manipulates the voter to feel cheated and to assume a much more aggressive front. I wonder how the votes would have looked if the question was instead "what should happen if Britain sought to negotiate a looser relationship but the houses of parliament later voted against pursuing that course?"

I know my obsession with semantics here makes me sound like I'm desperately trying to deny the importance of these results, but this is the true context you have to consider. And I was asked to expand on that, so there you go. Basically, people are unhappy with the EU, I understand that, but there's also a hell of a lot of ignorance and needless euroscepticism which thrives on it. The general British attitude should be more keen to make improvements rather than to be so easily influenced by distrust.
Reply 86
L i b
Referendums blow goats.

:confused:

Why?
Reply 87
Kolobok
I have no idea why someone decides that I'm not in favour of the "full and candid public debate approach". Of course I am!

I'm not a researcher who has been around Ireland to find out the exact reason the Irish voted 'no' on the Lisbon Treaty, but I've seen several brief interviews (and no, I'm not trying to support their reliability, I'm merely saying that this is the most insight I've had to that matter) where Irish citizens have openly declared that they did not have enough information on what the Treaty entailed and voted against it purely because they didn't want to risk losing any more sovereignty to the EU. Others were encouraged to vote against it because it "supported abortion" or some **** like that. Sorry I don't have any sources by the way, I guess I don't have time to look into it now, but I hope that at least gives me a right to have a say in this little discussion.

Firstly, people are more than likely to opt for more autonomy regardless of the issues at stake, and especially if they don't fully understand the issues (I completely agree that the EU needs to be more in touch with the citizens. It seems to be developing in the right direction although much more does need to be done on this front).

Secondly, it's hard to have a completely open question of course, but look just how leading the options were.

Perhaps the option wasn't quite worded in this way on the survey, but nevertheless the question is more "would you like to be in it for all the benefits of trade?" rather than "would you like to lose certain social, occupational, industrial and commercial benefits?"
- to stay a full EU member.
Whilst the survey implies a desperate need for improvement (hence the whole point of their campaign), the idea of remaining in the same situation doesn't have much appeal.
- to withdraw altogether.
The opposite of above.

This also manipulates the voter to feel cheated and to assume a much more aggressive front. I wonder how the votes would have looked if the question was instead "what should happen if Britain sought to negotiate a looser relationship but the houses of parliament later voted against pursuing that course?"

I know my obsession with semantics here makes me sound like I'm desperately trying to deny the importance of these results, but this is the true context you have to consider. And I was asked to expand on that, so there you go. Basically, people are unhappy with the EU, I understand that, but there's also a hell of a lot of ignorance and needless euroscepticism which thrives on it. The general British attitude should be more keen to make improvements rather than to be so easily influenced by distrust.

You are right that some Irish people voted against because they didn't understand fully what it was. This is the right thing to do; the treaty is several hundread pages - it doesn't need to be, it is just done to obscure the details. Also the Irish want to retain their soverignty, which would be reduced if they accepted the Lisbon treaty.

Why when it has been rejected do the EU still want countries to continue ratifiying? It cannot come into law without Ireland accepting it. Ireland have spoken the EU should listen. I am so glad the Irish government actually held a referendum (the only EU country to do so). It seems they are the only country with any respect left for democracy!

Whilst I accept what you say about the questions not being perfect, would you not accept that we should hold a referendum becuase the issue certainly not pro-EU by a large margin. Statistics are never that accurate. A referendum would actually allow us to find out the actual view of the British people. If we were to have a fair referendum on EU membership and the British people were to vote for continued EU membership, then I would stop arguing against it and accept that this is what the country wants (then i would probably emigrate :rolleyes: ). But we are not given the chance to vote, why not?
Reply 88
Kolobok

I'm very pleased to hear that, and I apologise for misjuding you.

I'm not a researcher who has been around Ireland to find out the exact reason the Irish voted 'no' on the Lisbon Treaty, but I've seen several brief interviews (and no, I'm not trying to support their reliability, I'm merely saying that this is the most insight I've had to that matter) where Irish citizens have openly declared that they did not have enough information on what the Treaty entailed and voted against it purely because they didn't want to risk losing any more sovereignty to the EU.

Others were encouraged to vote against it because it "supported abortion" or some **** like that. Sorry I don't have any sources by the way, I guess I don't have time to look into it now, but I hope that at least gives me a right to have a say in this little discussion.

Those who voted no because they did not have enough information on the Treaty did the right thing. Would you ever agree with a legal document if you didn't understand what it meant? However, the facts were simple enough to understand from the many analyses of the treaty, both pro and anti, that are available. Not least of which is the dozens of vetoes that are lost under its terms. Anyone would think the Irish were too stupid to understand these terms listening to some europhiles. And in no way am I trying to deny to you the right to have your say!

I fully understand enough about the issues to know that it warrants a referendum, and I'm hardly unique. If the EU is developing in the right direction, you must know a different EU to me.

What benefits of trade? EEA members have the same access to the Single Market that we do. You can ask the questions anyway you like, but the benefits you mention are not dependent upon EU membership. And it's not as misleading as telling the electorate that 3 million jobs depend on EU membership as the government would have us believe.

Asked what should happen if Britain sought to negotiate a looser relationship but other nations blocked the move..."

Isn't that why debate about EU membership is so stifled? Because parliament doesn't want a looser relationship? There have been enough votes in parliament to strongly suggest this is the way the majority MPs feel. And it's possible that other member states could effectively try to block the move under the terms of the Lisbon Treaty, so the both questions are reasonable.

I think debate is needed so that there is less ignorance on both sides. But you're right, it is difficult to pitch polling questions without bias, so the only questions should be "Should the UK remain a member of the European Union?" and "Do you support ratification of the Lisbon Treaty? I don't think you're obsessed with semantics at all; you made perfectly valid comments.

And people have been trying to improve the EU for literally DECADES and it hasn't worked.
Reply 89
L i b
And presumably no other issue which has ever faced Britain has required such treatment because?

Parliament can overturn a previous parliament's decisions. Not possible once the Lisbon Treaty comes into force.

I strongly disagree. All the European integration in the world hasn't made a blind bit of difference to me, and the only way it can particularly impact my life in the foreseeable future is if I decide to go and work abroad.

Well you must live in a wilderness, in a box, and exist on nothing but fresh air. :yep:
Reply 90
Tamora

Those who voted no because they did not have enough information on the Treaty did the right thing. Would you ever agree with a legal document if you didn't understand what it meant? However, the facts were simple enough to understand from the many analyses of the treaty, both pro and anti, that are available. Not least of which is the dozens of vetoes that are lost under its terms. Anyone would think the Irish were too stupid to understand these terms listening to some europhiles. And in no way am I trying to deny to you the right to have your say!

And people have been trying to improve the EU for literally DECADES and it hasn't worked.

It's reassuring that you seem to have at least some understanding EU, even if you've found no reason to show it all here. And I see now from what you say that it would be a pretty lame approach to use the ignorance claim to criticize the idea of public votes.

I'd like to add that I'm in no way an Europhile and am pretty naive; I would love to have a public referendum on membership. At the same time though, I think we should carefully consider the use of referenda. They are highly valued aspects of our democracy and we should all respect the Irish constitutional right to one. This also means being careful not to 'over-use' the option.

By this, I mean that if the government gave into pressure (which lets face it, does originate within a highly eurosceptical British press that fails to communicate important truths to the public, resulting in the lack of public understanding problem we're faced with) whenever there was demand for referenda, our democratic system would become totally inefficient. Even the most naive pro-democracy person (me) would realise that. So I really think that the requirements for referenda should not be blurred to suit one side of a highly contentious issue, Rather, it should remain the same necessity it has ever been, to determine the adoption of a constitution for example, and nothing outside that.

106 Rob
Why when it has been rejected do the EU still want countries to continue ratifiying? It cannot come into law without Ireland accepting it. Ireland have spoken the EU should listen. I am so glad the Irish government actually held a referendum (the only EU country to do so). It seems they are the only country with any respect left for democracy!

Sorry to say I can't take you seriously enough on the other issues you raise to warrant a response, but regarding the ratification process: this is something of great significance, I agree.

The UK ratified the Treaty a few days after Ireland said no, didn't they? If in your opinion that's bad, what if the UK's ratification date was set for a week earlier? Would all of the EU memberstates have waited for Ireland to vote on the Treaty before even debating it amongst their own legislature? That would hardly be democratic.

Besides, those long (albeit pretty repetitive) parliamentary debates on the Treaty was the closest thing to open debate we've had. Not only were the British people able to witness the discussions in their own country (as opposed to the supposedly secretly-guarded institutions in the terrifying evil domain of Brussels) but the whole issue was raised in the mainstream press and allowed us to take part in such public opinion polls as you clearly endorse.
Reply 91
Kolobok
It's reassuring that you seem to have at least some understanding EU, even if you've found no reason to show it all here. And I see now from what you say that it would be a pretty lame approach to use the ignorance claim to criticize the idea of public votes.

What? Maybe it's me, but I think I've demonstrated a damn sight more undertanding than you have on this issue. Criticising the public votes is lame without coming up with clear reasons why the Lisbon Treaty is a good thing.

I'd like to add that I'm in no way an Europhile and am pretty naive; I would love to have a public referendum on membership. At the same time though, I think we should carefully consider the use of referenda. They are highly valued aspects of our democracy and we should all respect the Irish constitutional right to one. This also means being careful not to 'over-use' the option.

I didn't say you are a europhile, though you make very similar arguments to one, and you own up to being naive yet still think you know enough to tell sceptics they are wrong? I'm don't want referenda over-used either, but we've only had one national referendum in over 30 years, and that was rigged. I would hardly say that was over-use.

By this, I mean that if the government gave into pressure (which lets face it, does originate within a highly eurosceptical British press that fails to communicate important truths to the public, resulting in the lack of public understanding problem we're faced with) whenever there was demand for referenda, our democratic system would become totally inefficient.

No, it would not. The government and the opposition parties all "gave in to pressure", and rightly so, before the election when they all promised promised a referendum on the Constitution, or whatever they're calling it this week. In retrospect this was an obviously cynical move to avoid losing votes, and reneging on that promise makes a mockery of our democratic system. The government should be perfectly capable of putting its argument before the public with the help of our state funded broadcaster, the BBC, but it's just not good enough to convince the public so they hardly bother.

And the British press - highly eurosceptic? Don't make me laugh! Serious eurosceptics scorn the mainstream media as being a very poor source of information. [I have to say it is getting more balanced, though it remains extremely patchy, but of all of the newspapers the Independent remains one of the best sources for the EU angle. Not what one would call a eurosceptic source.]

Even the most naive pro-democracy person (me) would realise that. So I really think that the requirements for referenda should not be blurred to suit one side of a highly contentious issue, Rather, it should remain the same necessity it has ever been, to determine the adoption of a constitution for example, and nothing outside that.

The constitutional elements of the treaty are merely symbolic and dropping them changes nothing. They'll come back anyway. If you are pro-democracy, I'm not sure why you are supporting the least democratic political establishment we've had for a long time. And not holding the promised referendum still suits one side of a highly contentious issue. Is that OK because it suits you?
Reply 92
Kolobok

Sorry to say I can't take you seriously enough on the other issues you raise to warrant a response, but regarding the ratification process: this is something of great significance, I agree.

What's not to take seriously?
Reply 93
106 Rob
:confused:

Why?

Because referendums undermine the British system of parliamentary democracy for the sake of populism.

Referendums are counterproductive to democracy in a system such as ours.

Tamora
Parliament can overturn a previous parliament's decisions. Not possible once the Lisbon Treaty comes into force.

This is an interesting point, but it fails to recognise that this isn't essentially true.

All treaties are binding in international law if ratified, and cannot be de-ratified without the consent of all parties. In essence, they are a contract and adhere to similar laws. One could argue therefore that any ratified treaty puts Britain in the same situation internationally.

However the presumption here is about the extent of EU law. I have no doubt that the ECJ would hold, as it has previously, the EU is a 'new legal order' not dependent on the treaty-enacting laws of the member-states, but I don't believe the British courts would hold that (just as, incidentally, the German constitutional court has not). If Britain wanted to unilaterally withdraw from the EU, I don't think anyone would actually stand against them, and the UK judicial system would uphold it as legal - even if it is rather inconsistent.

As such, I don't think it particularly puts us in a new situation.

Tamora
What benefits of trade? EEA members have the same access to the Single Market that we do. You can ask the questions anyway you like, but the benefits you mention are not dependent upon EU membership. And it's not as misleading as telling the electorate that 3 million jobs depend on EU membership as the government would have us believe.

If you're going to be in the EEA, then there's absolutely no point in not being in the EU. You're going to have to adhere to the requirements of EU law anyway in order to remain in the EEA, without the benefit of being able to actually decide what these laws are.

That said, the Eurosceptics would love it. 'No taxation without representation' and all that.
Reply 94
Tamora
The constitutional elements of the treaty are merely symbolic and dropping them changes nothing.

Merely symbolic? Is the Magna Carta merely symbolic? Was the Bill of Rights 1689 merely symbolic? How about the US Declaration of independence? Or the authority of our monarch? Symbolism matters a great deal.

Regardless of how important you hold the constitutional iconography of the Constitutional Treaty doesn't much matter: what does matter is it was that very iconography, that 'mere symbolism' as you would have it, that warranted a referendum on it in the first place.

Had it not had that symbolism, then it would have been just another, roundly uncontroversial treaty proposing some fairly modest and sensible reforms. In fact, had it simply been a Reform Treaty, it would probably have passed by now - but the EU and the national governments clearly thought that 'mere symbolism' was valuable enough to the cause of European unity to put their necks out for. Even if it failed, I'm still glad they did.
Reply 95
L i b
Merely symbolic? Is the Magna Carta merely symbolic? Was the Bill of Rights 1689 merely symbolic? How about the US Declaration of independence? Or the authority of our monarch? Symbolism matters a great deal.

Regardless of how important you hold the constitutional iconography of the Constitutional Treaty doesn't much matter: what does matter is it was that very iconography, that 'mere symbolism' as you would have it, that warranted a referendum on it in the first place.

Had it not had that symbolism, then it would have been just another, roundly uncontroversial treaty proposing some fairly modest and sensible reforms. In fact, had it simply been a Reform Treaty, it would probably have passed by now - but the EU and the national governments clearly thought that 'mere symbolism' was valuable enough to the cause of European unity to put their necks out for. Even if it failed, I'm still glad they did.

You're comparing the Magna Carta and the Bill of Rights to treaties the EU puts out? They're from different ages and cannot be compared.

I disagree with you about the Constitution/Reform/Lisbon Treaty. You are pro-EU and might see it as uncontroversial, but the dozens of vetoes being given up are amongst the many things which I think are controversial enough to be put to a public vote. It must be a matter of opinion.

(Someone mentioned Irish worries about abortion earlier. The European Commission regards abortion as much a 'service' as banking or retail and as such it can effectively overturn Irish abortion laws now if it chooses to.)
Reply 96
L i b
Because referendums undermine the British system of parliamentary democracy for the sake of populism. Referendums are counterproductive to democracy in a system such as ours.

Well perhaps the government should have thought of that before it promised a referendum in its manifesto. The issue was taken out of the debate because all three main parties promised a referendum. Our democracy is being consigned to the dustbin.

This is an interesting point, but it fails to recognise that this isn't essentially true.

It is definitely true. Parliament cannot bind its successors, but it will, very clearly, once the Lisbon Treaty comes into force.

All treaties are binding in international law if ratified, and cannot be de-ratified without the consent of all parties. In essence, they are a contract and adhere to similar laws. One could argue therefore that any ratified treaty puts Britain in the same situation internationally.

Sorry, but that's rubbish. History is littered with broken treaties, and, if that's what the electorate wanted, there'd be no dishonour in breaking this one.

However the presumption here is about the extent of EU law. I have no doubt that the ECJ would hold, as it has previously, the EU is a 'new legal order' not dependent on the treaty-enacting laws of the member-states, but I don't believe the British courts would hold that (just as, incidentally, the German constitutional court has not). If Britain wanted to unilaterally withdraw from the EU, I don't think anyone would actually stand against them, and the UK judicial system would uphold it as legal - even if it is rather inconsistent.

You think the ECJ and the other member states wouldn't against stand against a member state wishing to leave? You think! Well that's ok then, but it's a shame your thoughts aren't inscribed in law.

If you're going to be in the EEA, then there's absolutely no point in not being in the EU. You're going to have to adhere to the requirements of EU law anyway in order to remain in the EEA, without the benefit of being able to actually decide what these laws are.

And yet some countries still choose the EEA over the EU. And no one said the EEA was the only option anyway. As one of the largest trading blocks in the world, we'd be in an excellent position to negotiate our own agreement.
i'm in :smile:

40/46 - 87% 1023s. not bad to say i failed geography :smile:

Macedonia, Hungary, Liech., Monaco, Montenegro + Vatian City (which i got wrong)
Reply 98
Tamora
You're comparing the Magna Carta and the Bill of Rights to treaties the EU puts out? They're from different ages and cannot be compared.

You can compare anything to anything. In terms of the comparative criteria, I think they hoped for similar effects: ie, to hold a great deal more symbolic sway than they actually hold in reality. The Magna Carta particularly is of no real effect in law now, but it is still a massively important document. Symbolism.

I disagree with you about the Constitution/Reform/Lisbon Treaty. You are pro-EU and might see it as uncontroversial, but the dozens of vetoes being given up are amongst the many things which I think are controversial enough to be put to a public vote. It must be a matter of opinion.

(Someone mentioned Irish worries about abortion earlier. The European Commission regards abortion as much a 'service' as banking or retail and as such it can effectively overturn Irish abortion laws now if it chooses to.)

The EU has no remit over such matters, namely the criminal law of abortion. It cannot force the matter. Even if it could, it is obvious it would not. So it's certainly not an issue.

The first paragraph in this quoted section is about all it boils down to really.
Reply 99
Tamora
Well perhaps the government should have thought of that before it promised a referendum in its manifesto. The issue was taken out of the debate because all three main parties promised a referendum. Our democracy is being consigned to the dustbin.

I notice you say 'a referendum' - yes, indeed, they proposed that. A referendum on a document which has been rejected.

How many times will we go over this? The Lisbon Treaty is not the Constitutional Treaty. The Constitutional Treaty was to be put to a referendum not as a result of the (fairly modest) reforms it contained, but because of its constitutional nature - which has been entirely dropped.

It is definitely true. Parliament cannot bind its successors, but it will, very clearly, once the Lisbon Treaty comes into force.

Nope. It doesn't change UK constitutional law one iota. As for the practical relationship between EU and national parliaments, it actually strengthens Parliament's position.

Sorry, but that's rubbish. History is littered with broken treaties, and, if that's what the electorate wanted, there'd be no dishonour in breaking this one.

It's fact. Treaties bind states in international law. You've resorted to a logical fallacy here: breaching the law does not make it any less the law. British law is breached countless times every day.

You think the ECJ and the other member states wouldn't against stand against a member state wishing to leave? You think! Well that's ok then, but it's a shame your thoughts aren't inscribed in law.

Ultimately that is the British constitutional position. What other people may do is a political consideration, not a constitutional one.

And yet some countries still choose the EEA over the EU. And no one said the EEA was the only option anyway. As one of the largest trading blocks in the world, we'd be in an excellent position to negotiate our own agreement.

Again, the fact that some people do something does not mean it is sensible.

The Swiss government wants to be in the EU (yes, I'm aware it isn't EEA). Liechtenstein would almost certainly join if Switzerland did. Norway has actively considered it at several junctures, but been defeated marginally in referendums - they'll probably try again some time and Iceland are currently monitoring the situation with a view towards considering membership at a later date.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending