The Student Room Group

Higher Maths

Im currently doing 5 highers, English, Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Computing. I want to do Pharmacy at Uni for which i need BBBB one of which being in Maths first sitting. Maths is a very weak point for me and im definetly not going to gain a B this year. I've been considering dropping to Int 2 this year, giving me more scope to achieve my other Higher grades and then taking Higher Maths in 6th year and putting a more focused effort into getting the required grade for it because i will be more aware of the extent of the effort needed for Higher and i will be doing less highers, all going well. Does anyone think this is a good idea, or am i maybe overlooking another factor?
I've been considering dropping to Int 2 this year, giving me more scope to achieve my other Higher grades and then taking Higher Maths in 6th year and putting a more focused effort into getting the required grade for it because i will be more aware of the extent of the effort needed for Higher and i will be doing less highers, all going well. Does anyone think this is a good idea, or am i maybe overlooking another factor?

Very bad idea. Int 2 is no better a qualification than standard grade really and moreover it doesn't prepare you for higher at all, it goes down a different route, where as standard grade does prepare you. If you need the B in Maths, then try and get it this year. The last thing you want is to be stressed in 6th year trying to meet a conditional when everyone around you is having the time of their lives holding unconditionals. You will not like this situation. At least continue with all five untill prelims and re-evaluate your situation then, it is too early to be effectively dropping a subject. Finally, they want at least a B for a reason. The course must contain a fair bit of Maths, so if you're struggling to meet this criterion (which by the time you've put in loads of work and done umpteen past papers should not be beyond reach) then you probably won't fare too well on the degree, nor will you enjoy it.
You'd be surprised what is possible with revision regarding maths. Don't give up this early. I would definitely put some effort into getting that B - it is completely possible and if you got a credit at standard grade Int 2 is pretty much useless.
Reply 3
I also felt like you last year but carried on knowing i was going to fail, in which i did. Stay positive as you can easily get a B, now I'm resitting and things just seem to click in place now so if you don't get it this year resitting can be an option. I got a 2 at SG but it was obvious that people with 1's/A's got good higher grade passes, but even though i wouldn't do the int2 - keep the higher and just be positive. :biggrin:
Reply 4
I didn't think I could get a B in the higher maths either as I struggled all year and only got a 2 3 in the standard grade. If you just sit and get the teacher to explain anything you're really stuck at and do as many past papers as you physically can.
Reply 5
I think you would be better dropping another higher which you do not need so you will have more time to concentrate on studying maths.
I'm predicted at an A for maths whereas my friends are all C's so they have dropped subjects they don't need to get extra maths practice :smile:
Reply 6
How weak is your mathematics at the moment? Best to know a little more before giving a suggestion :P The year is still young, and there's tons of time to improve.
Meteorshower
You'd be surprised what is possible with revision regarding maths. Don't give up this early. I would definitely put some effort into getting that B - it is completely possible and if you got a credit at standard grade Int 2 is pretty much useless.

Listen to him

I went from scrapping a C to an A with some intense revision.

*Fondly remember the higher maths thread 2008*

Latest

Trending

Trending