The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
yes you have to be 18. i'm getting one. on your foot it will hurt because it's bony. it feels like having your skin ripped apart and stabbed repeatedly (quotation from miami ink). you need to do your research into who will do it, promise me you will! i'm getting mine on my arm on a fleshy bit so i know if i can't stand that pain, as that's less painful than bony bits, i know i wont get any more.
I got a tattoo for my 18th birthday and I love it
It's on my lower stomach and the pain was like a continuous deep scratch and took about 10 minutes to do. You do have to be so so sure about what you want though because of course you know they're permanant.
Reply 3
Yes, you have to be 18. Oh, and make sure you think very hard about getting the tattoo before you get it, you need to make sure you really are going to like it... Like take into consideration how easy it'll be to hide if you need to, and whether you'll still like the poem/what that line says in years' time. I always tell people this when they're talking about getting tattoos, just because I know if I regretted my own tattoos it would suck! (Luckily I don't)
I have three tattoos - two anchors and one ship, very nautical hehe... I got the anchors when I was 18, and the ship when I was 19. I don't think I'll get any more, as the ones I have are pretty well hidden and I think I'm running out of hidden places!
Yes, they kind of hurt. The anchors are on the inside of my ankles, though, and they didn't really hurt at all. The ship is on the back of my neck and that really hurt at points... But it's okay, it's quite easy to put up with, and they are quite quick so as long as you can put up with a little pain for a fairly short time, you should be fine :smile:
Reply 4
There's another thread floating around about tattoos.

But yes, I've got a tattoo. It's of a butterfly & it's on my ankle, it's quite a large tattoo as well. It hurt more as it got closer to my foot, but the pain was bearable. It was like deep scratching over and over.
I would LOVE to have a little daisy on my ankle, but it's never going to happen! I just have such a fear of pain that I wouldn't go though with it.
Think about it carefully before you do. My mum had a butterfly on her shoulder when she was 19 - shes 50 now and it doesn't look great - do you want to be an old lady with a tatoo? Acutually, on your foot would be alright I think! :smile:
Reply 6
I have Book I of the Aeneid on my back.
Reply 7
Noémie
yes you have to be 18. i'm getting one. on your foot it will hurt because it's bony. it feels like having your skin ripped apart and stabbed repeatedly (quotation from miami ink). you need to do your research into who will do it, promise me you will! i'm getting mine on my arm on a fleshy bit so i know if i can't stand that pain, as that's less painful than bony bits, i know i wont get any more.

לֹא

it depends on the individual. everyone has different pain tolerance and things hurt differently depending on the inividual. my feet are both fully covered in ink. i also have a fully covered arm. the feet were both easier then the arm. the only bit on the foot area that really killed was the nubby ankle bone....
Reply 8
I have 2 tattoos. The first one, one my upper arm, I had done at 18 and the second, on my ankle, one at 21. Both of them really hurt, strangely though it was the one on my arm that hurt the most but that could have been because I didnt know what to expect. It felt like someone had pushed something sharp under my skin and was dragging it around for what felt like an eternity. Both of them are only little so they only took about 20 minutes to do.

Some people call them "Tramp stamps" but I figure its my skin and if I want a tattoo I"ll get one.
Reply 9
jovana
לֹא

what does that mean? my evrit is majorly limited.
Reply 10
hi, i had a tattoo in august on my back at the top a bit under my neck of a word in arabic..

it hardly hurt lol. honestly. i think it was probably because it's a relatively fleshy part but i'm not sure.

everyone always says the whole thing about being old and wrinkly with a tattoo, but i'd rather show that i've lived than have a body that's untouched, ya know? it represents a time in your life. yeah, you might regret it later, but there was a time when it meant something to you or you liked it..

oh also, if you do get one, just CHILL lol. don't panic when it's being done, it'll hurt more. i was so happy i was getting it done it hardly hurt. also the tattooist did a little bit to show me how it would feel, so ask if he/she doesn't do it automatically. look after it well too :smile:
Reply 11
I was 16 when I had mine done, it hurts a bit when they start the outline but you get used it and it just goes kinda numb. There are some places that actually let you get a tattoo for free if it's on your foot because it's so dangerous, not to worry you or anything. :smile: Stay away from the boney bits and you'll be fine.
Reply 12
Noémie
what does that mean? my evrit is majorly limited.

sorry, just being cheeky. my ivrit is awful too.

its "no" (lo)
Reply 13
jovana
sorry, just being cheeky. my ivrit is awful too.

its "no" (lo)

oh YEAH *duh*
why loh?
Reply 14
Noémie
oh YEAH *duh*
why loh?

לֹא = lo = no... i was just putting it in parentheses when you asked what it meant. i don't remember much hebrew from when i lived in israel, but "lo" sticks in my mind because i had to say it all the time. israel men = meshuggah
Reply 15
I have three, one is a small star on my wrist (got it done when underage, don't regret it even though it's pretty ****), a crown on my inside elbow and a backpiece:

Which took several sittings but was surprisingly not that painful.

I think the pain level of tattoos is greatly exaggerated, my stepdad told me it's the worst pain imaginable but I found it entirely bearable, it feels like a Chinese burn or something. Obviously there are parts where it hurt more (e.g. spine) but other than that, like I said, not actually that bad!

One piece of advice I would give you OP, do your research and find a good tattoo artist! I cannot emphasize enough how important that is, I wouldn't go to anyone but my tattooist anymore.
Reply 16
The amount of pain you feel also depends on where you go IME. If you go to some back street scratcher it hurts a fair bit on your arm. If you got to a decent place it won't hurt that much at all.
ive got tinker bell on the top of my thight it didnt really hurt was more like an annoyence that i wanted to bat away with my hand. On a bone yes it will hurt
i personally wouldn't get one. But i love miami ink!!!
Reply 19
jovana
לֹא = lo = no... i was just putting it in parentheses when you asked what it meant. i don't remember much hebrew from when i lived in israel, but "lo" sticks in my mind because i had to say it all the time. israel men = meshuggah

yes i know that, i know that loh means no :P

but why are you saying loh and what i said?

Latest