The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not so much harder just more work needs to be put in. And by more I mean much more.
Also depends on your subjects, Maths is a lot harder, Biology for example is about the same.
Reply 2
A levels are x10 harder than GCSEs, you'll find that theres lots more homework and independent research tasks to do, as well as the actual workload which is far greater compared to GCSEs.

What A levels are you studying?

And remember that it may be more work, but I'm finding A levels far more enjoyable compared to GCSEs.
Reply 3
Depends on the subject.

For me, German's a lot harder. English, RS and History are all about the same.

There's quite a lot of work to do outside lessons but I usually get most of it done at lunch/in my frees so I don't have too much.
Reply 4
everyone says there is a massive gap, but i didn't find the jump that big. what subjects are you taking?
Reply 5
Personally, I'd say subjects go one of two ways:
Covering loads and loads of stuff but not in much detail
Covering a moderate amount of stuff in extreme detail

...but then again, that's just me
Reply 6
Biology, chemistry, geography.
then either economics, maths or art for my 4th AS subject.
There is always a massive jump, but its expected

Especially for sceince subjects

But if you work hard in the 1st term of them, you will gain enough information and you will be ok :smile:
Reply 8
Depends which subjects you're doing.
Reply 9
GCSE's don't even compare to A-levels. A-levels are quite a bit more time consuming and harder.
I found GCSEs very easy, and did little work and came out with good grades. A-Levels are certainly harder, but they're not 'OMG U'LL NEVA GO OUT TEHY'LL MAKE U CRY' hard. If you keep on top of the work, do homework when it's set, do bits of background reading from time to time, and revise before your exams, you should be fine if you did pretty well at GCSE.
Economics is really fun, however I, for some reason, find the exams hard.
Reply 12
d123
Depends on the subject.

For me, German's a lot harder. English, RS and History are all about the same.

There's quite a lot of work to do outside lessons but I usually get most of it done at lunch/in my frees so I don't have too much.

Wow your gcse results are amazing
Reply 13
I'd say they are harder, and they tend to seperate those who are actually clever from those who just know how to revise well enough to pass their GCSE's.

However, it does all depend on subject, and i find A levels loads more interesting than GCSE's as your teachers respect you more, and there all subjects that you actually want to do!
I think the best thing to do is ask your teachers in those subjects, they know you and your ability to learn better than we do so are likely to give you a realistic picture of how much harder you'll find it.

If you ask really nicely, they might even lend you an AS textbook to have a look through to see if you understand/enjoy the content of the course.
Reply 15
They're not much harder, I think the "gap" is just because you have to do more outside of lessons, not because there's a lot more work. It's not too hard to get it done in your frees and after school.
Depends on your GCSE's really.

For instance if you like me took Double Science (The gayest qualification ever) and then took a science (Biology in my case) in a school where everyone did the 3 separate sciences and its an International A level... Very very hard at first but perseverance should overcome that.
Reply 17
biology there is a lot to learn bt its not really that hard...chemistry is a lot more detailed, more understanding than learning really...didn't do geography...i found maths C1 and C2 quite easy, but stats was the bain of my life!!
Reply 18
Ten Green Bottles
I think the best thing to do is ask your teachers in those subjects, they know you and your ability to learn better than we do so are likely to give you a realistic picture of how much harder you'll find it.

If you ask really nicely, they might even lend you an AS textbook to have a look through to see if you understand/enjoy the content of the course.

Yeah thats a good idea, we have a sixth form day soon were we look at all different subjects so ill ask then
Reply 19
lucy1993
Biology, chemistry, geography.
then either economics, maths or art for my 4th AS subject.

I'm doing economics at A level, and I find it a fairly easy subject despite my 'bad' Maths result at GCSE, it is a very fun and current topic though.

The sciences, I've been told that they're very difficult, especially when it comes to remembering all of the formula's and stuff, but as everyones said, keep on top of your work and they're not overally difficult.

Latest