The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

conroe-killed-the-k8-star
Found this fractal wallpaper on DeviantArt somewhere...

WOW, that is awesome, have you got a link to the original
Reply 2221
Just finished installing gNewSense:

I'm actually on a UXGA display but photobucket won't accept anything larger than XGA.

Let's see how long I can survive without anything proprietary. :p:
MGT_90
Just finished installing gNewSense:

I'm actually on a UXGA display but photobucket won't accept anything larger than XGA.

Let's see how long I can survive without anything proprietary. :p:

Is iTunes proprietary even though it is free?
wizard710

yep.
Reply 2224
wizard710

The software is free of charge (gratis) but it's not free (libre). Apple owns iTunes. If you were to email them and say:

'Can I have the source code?'

They'd probably tell you to get stuffed.

I won't miss iTunes though, because I don't have an iPod and never used iTunes in the first place. :p:
It seems odd that, despite being a different distro, your gNewSense desktop looks almost exactly the same as the Ubuntu one I have installed on mine - I hadn't realised how strongly the Desktop Environment (GNOME) affects the look of the UI. If both distros use the Linux kernel and their GUIs look and behave in almost exactly the same way, what's the difference between the two?
Reply 2226
RightSaidJames
It seems odd that, despite being a different distro, your gNewSense desktop looks almost exactly the same as the Ubuntu one I have installed on mine - I hadn't realised how strongly the Desktop Environment (GNOME) affects the look of the UI. If both distros use the Linux kernel and their GUIs look and behave in almost exactly the same way, what's the difference between the two?

The similarity isn't only cosmetic. gNewSense is basically Ubuntu with all proprietary elements removed. That said, you're right in that the default desktop environment would create a rather uniform look regardless of the distribution. GNOME on Arch, Ubuntu, Fedora, all look pretty similar prior to being customised excessively, and even then they don't vary quite as much as KDE desktops.

Pretty much all GNU users use Linux as their kernel (a few may use the HURD) but the kernel doesn't enforce a common graphical experience.

There are some greater differences between some distributions than between others. The difference between Ubuntu and gNewSense or SAM and PCLOS is going to be a lot less than the difference between Ubuntu and Gentoo or Slackware and Mandriva. The most significant difference will be the package manager because the desktop environment, default programs and the like can all be easily changed (e.g. Kubuntu is Ubuntu with apt-get install kubuntu-desktop and all the GNOME elements purged, SAM is Xfce PCLOS, etc).

That's why if you learn something like Slackware you can transfer that knowledge to pretty much every other distribution. After all, if you learn Red Hat you'll know Red Hat, but if you learn Slackware you'll know (GNU) Linux. Or you could try LFS. :p:
desktop. picture. thread. *tries to steer back on topic*
Reply 2228
This is my desktop. I hate having icons on it , I like to keep it clean. 1680X1050 resolution

MGT_90
The software is free of charge (gratis) but it's not free (libre). Apple owns iTunes. If you were to email them and say:

'Can I have the source code?'

They'd probably tell you to get stuffed.

I won't miss iTunes though, because I don't have an iPod and never used iTunes in the first place. :p:

Yeah I have an iPod, when it starts to die I may put a homebrew on there so I could try and run without iTunes
I :suith: Victoria's Secret!

Angel Interceptor
I :suith: Victoria's Secret!

I like your style
wizard710
WOW, that is awesome, have you got a link to the original

not got the original but I've got the resized file which is cut down to 1440*900 to match my resolution :
Reply 2233

Click to view.
Reply 2234
I've gone minimalist again:

Phelps is on the left, winning by a whisker.
thatsjustit

Wow, have you got a link to the original?
Reply 2239
thatsjustit

THAT IS NICE! Could you please post the original?

Latest

Trending

Trending