The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Did you have the grades neccessary? Thats normally the reasons for a straight rejection so early.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Many, many, many students will also have been predicted 3 As and sound academically. You will not be the only one.

Unfortunately it probably was your personal statement. Or maybe your references.

I feel for you, I truly am sorry, but this happens. It's a very competitive uni. Hopefully you can get offers from your other choices.
Reply 3
where is ur ps?
sounds strange since
1) Ur predicited 3As
2) Ur not applying to a competitive course
3) im guessing ur GCSEs were good since ur were asked to do a distinction

but the most important thing in any UCAS is ur PS and predicited grades, since ur predicted grades were amazin, ur ps might have something to do with

Sorry about ur luck though man!
Reply 4
Was your GCSE's bad? How was your AS levels?

Ofcourse PS matters, but I wouldn't have thought that degree would be that competitive honestly.
email or ring them and ask for feedback; they will tell you. There is obviously going to be a valid reason for it. Just because you are academically strong doesnt mean that you are the perfect candidate for the course; maybe they were looking for something a bit different......
Reply 6
jcevans2
I dont want to go over the top but I have just been rejected with no clue why. Im predicted 3 As, have 2 distinctions at AEA. WTF??!! :mad:
I was down to do Eastern European studies and Politics. Why could I have been rejected? Is my PS Awful- oh my god!

You can always phone them up and ask why you got rejected.

But seriously, you can't expect UCL to accept everyone, nor can you expect like 5 offers.
jakdax77
where is ur ps?
sounds strange since
1) Ur predicited 3As
2) Ur not applying to a competitive course
3) im guessing ur GCSEs were good since ur were asked to do a distinction

but the most important thing in any UCAS is ur PS and predicited grades, since ur predicted grades were amazin, ur ps might have something to do with

Sorry about ur luck though man!

ummmmm........... huh? you dont get "asked" to do levels with AEA's......you get graded on it, so it could be a merit or a fail or a distinction for anyone.

but well done OP that is an achievement!
sohanshah
You can always phone them up and ask why you got rejected.

But seriously, you can't expect UCL to accept everyone, nor can you expect like 5 offers.

how come you're only applying to four uni's?
Unlucky mate :frown:
Reply 10
scraceus999
ummmmm........... huh? you dont get "asked" to do levels with AEA's......you get graded on it, so it could be a merit or a fail or a distinction for anyone.

but well done OP that is an achievement!

Oh right, i dont much about AEA, but i was assuming your school puts u in for it and that a school would only put someone in for it if they were smart, but like i said don't know much about AEA
jakdax77
Oh right, i dont much about AEA, but i was assuming your school puts u in for it and that a school would only put someone in for it if they were smart, but like i said don't know much about AEA

well basically the vast majority of students that want to do an AEA in a subject (e.g. english lit.) will have got a strong A grade at AS. They have the option to do the AEA if their college/6th form offers it, and it is then graded. It is basically another thing to make you a stronger candidate for uni applications etc.
scraceus999
how come you're only applying to four uni's?

Medicine.
sohanshah
Medicine.

ahhhh duh! well good luck :smile:
Reply 14
tbh, I think it extremely unlikely that the personal statement was be the sole reason for rejection, it's probably more to do with less than amazing GCSEs, the fact that Politics is quite a competitive course, and the fact that you seem to be taking three years to do your A levels, rather than the usual two, which most unis really don't like.

Still a bit stingy though.
Check your predicted grades were put in right!
Reply 16
Inflation
Check your predicted grades were put in right!

yeah I agree with this, teachers can be stupid sometimes and typos can be made. This happened to someone on TSR last year, they were meant to be predicted an A but the teacher put a B by mistake. Can i just say Inflation, i love your signature!
Heya,

An empathetic message- i have 12 A* at GCSE, straight As at AS and am predicted eight As at A level- and i just got rejected. I thought i had plenty of extra curricular too, so am a bit disappointed (sorry that sounds arrogant). I have applied for PPE elsewhere (have an offer from Mancs and applied to Ox) as well as pol and econ at some (LSE and Edinburgh). I have applied for feedback, and i don't think there is anything like glaringly wrong in my PS, (otherwise surely wouldn't have been offered place elsewhere). Only thing i can think is that it is my personal statement is written VERY much for a PPE...i thought this would be OK as UCL advertises ESPS as being like a PPE with learning another langauge.
A bit worried others will follow suit now...also, UCL was my 3rd preference, so i will end up at fourth if no offer from LSE and Ox...which if UCL don't want me seems probable!
Reply 18
oh Rosa S sounds exactly the same as me. Im just terrified now of an Oxford rejection- it doesnt really give me any room for relaxation come interview. Im going to have to interview like my life depends on it.:s-smilie:
Just out of general interest, which college are you going for at Ox?