The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Although I'm not an undergraduate, I just got en email from UCAS. The status of your UCAS application has changed and you can view what has changed on the UCAS website www.ucas.ac.uk.

The suspense!!

Log onto UCAS and I have a offer for Maths G103 at Nottingham!! Woo!

Offer is AAB with A in Maths and A in Further Maths. Now the pressure is on as I'm doing Further Mathematics AS/A2 all this year.. but I feel I can get it if I put enough work in!
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
AAB, A in maths, no FM. I'm a first year now, and applied post A-level. Oh and G100.
Reply 3
TomLeigh
Although I'm not an undergraduate, I just got en email from UCAS. The status of your UCAS application has changed and you can view what has changed on the UCAS website www.ucas.ac.uk.

The suspense!!

Log onto UCAS and I have a offer for Maths G103 at Nottingham!! Woo!

Offer is AAB with A in Maths and A in Further Maths. Now the pressure is on as I'm doing Further Mathematics AS/A2 all this year.. but I feel I can get it if I put enough work in!

Congratualtions :smile: I recieved the same offer yesterday :p:
Reply 4
Hehe congratulations to you too then! Since I've never been certain on exactly which university I want to go to, Nottingham has always been in the top 2, so maybe I'll see you next year :biggrin:
Reply 5
AAB, A in Maths and FM.. First year G103 here
Reply 6
Adam-san
AAB, A in Maths and FM.. First year G103 here

Is that the case with most of the people on the course?
Reply 7
have any1 got maths offers just doin AS further maths? Any1 also doin maths and eco?
Reply 8
I didn't do any FM and got an offer for mathematical physics, I did take my a-levels four years ago mind.
Creole
AAB, A in maths, no FM. I'm a first year now, and applied post A-level. Oh and G100.

how hard is it at nottingham? be honest!!! :biggrin:
Reply 10
I don't really know what you want to hear.. to be honest I haven't found it that hard as of yet, there have been a few times where I've had to think for a couple of days on how to do a question, but I can count that on one hand. I've gotten good marks in all my assignments, and I don't work every hour of the day, for one thing, I row, which takes up alot of time, and obviously relax etc.

Basically, if you like maths you'll do fine, if you are looking for a really intense course I would say perhaps nottingham isn't for you, it seems to be well suited to my level of 'intelligence', and it will only get harder and I am looking forward to that too.
Reply 11
Not to be disrespectful or anything Creole, but I think it's a bit premature to make judgement on the difficultly after the first term. The first term in Maths is really a bit easy, my tutor(he's the course director) also said that to us last year so they're looking to make it more difficult in years to come. Even coming from a single Maths background I found the first term work really quite straightforward. Just wait until you get to second term LMA/ACF and even calculus, which becomes quite a bit more difficult. In general though I would say that first year Maths could and should be more difficult given the quality of the students, but it is only the first year and they try hard not to completely demoralise students or make everybody fail. The second year is quite a step-up from what I've experienced so far.
Reply 12
I completely agree, and I can't find that disrespectful because the only judgement I've made is that it is going to get alot harder. She asked for my opinion, and I've spoken from my experiences. Is there anything in my post you specifically disagree with? Most of it is conditioned upon the fact that i've only been here a couple of months, and you've pretty much alluded to my second paragraph, that with the calibre of students, they could be pushing us much harder.
Reply 13
I was just countering what you were saying re: really intense. The only course I know that would be noticeably more intense than Nottingham's is Cambridge's, and I don't think in most cases people who are considering coming to Nottingham have that choice(Cambridge vs Nottingham, I mean). The fact that the course isn't hard enough is probably not a complaint most departments get too often haha! Maybe I'm a bit biased because I did quite well last year with very little work, and thinking back I suppose I do remember quite a few of my friends struggling quite a lot. The main problem being that most people don't do much work at all, because it's the first year. I can't help but feel if they made the first year harder and made it count(say, 10% or so) then it would be a much better thing for us as Mathematicians.

I think first term Calculus is a complete waste personally, and we'd be better off if they did one term of multi-variable calculus and then one term of vector calculus, for example. Can't imagine them caring too much about what I think though.
Barny
Just wait until you get to second term LMA/ACF and even calculus, which becomes quite a bit more difficult. In general though I would say that first year Maths could and should be more difficult given the quality of the students, .

I was probably expecting things to be a bit more difficult with the maths so far this semester but I can't help but notice that the overlaps with FM A2 are quite large (in particular with LMA - not done much so far that's not in P6 (old Edexcel spec)).I said in another post I felt it a bit of a bad joke that lecturers have to spend time teaching people how to do basic complex number /matrix arithmetic operations - you should be able to read around it if you're not familiar - it's not too hard.

Barny
I can't help but feel if they made the first year harder and made it count(say, 10% or so) then it would be a much better thing for us as Mathematicians.

Agree with this entirely - should do this for all courses I think to make sure people focus on the work they are meant to do and don't mess around too much in general.Some people I've spoken to have said they'd be fine with doing enough just to satisfy progression (40%) and that's not really good enough because when they get to Year 2 they'll be stuffed.
Reply 15
I still disagree with you on that front. I do think the lecturers should cover it, simply because the majority(definitely the majority) won't have covered that material in single A-level. Whether or not it's easy or not isn't the point - they should teach it, but I don't think they should be spending a massive amount of time giving examples etc. when it comes to trivially easy topics such as that. A-level Maths however, certainly shouldn't be repeated, and I think the first term Calculus overlap with A-level Maths is too much. You don't learn anything new as such until about now(if I remember rightly, Laplace transforms?).

As to your second point, I just feel that the current courses concentrate on making it accesible to all our students and that the course is prepared to a level that won't cause too many people to fail, rather than stretching the more able students on the course, which is a shame. That said, there is always the opportunity for self-study and something I've found at Nottingham is that lecturers are very willing to help with all areas of Maths and not just their specialites, so if you encounter a problem there is always help available.
Reply 16
Barny
I still disagree with you on that front. I do think the lecturers should cover it, simply because the majority(definitely the majority) won't have covered that material in single A-level. Whether or not it's easy or not isn't the point - they should teach it, but I don't think they should be spending a massive amount of time giving examples etc. when it comes to trivially easy topics such as that. A-level Maths however, certainly shouldn't be repeated, and I think the first term Calculus overlap with A-level Maths is too much. You don't learn anything new as such until about now(if I remember rightly, Laplace transforms?).

As to your second point, I just feel that the current courses concentrate on making it accesible to all our students and that the course is prepared to a level that won't cause too many people to fail, rather than stretching the more able students on the course, which is a shame. That said, there is always the opportunity for self-study and something I've found at Nottingham is that lecturers are very willing to help with all areas of Maths and not just their specialites, so if you encounter a problem there is always help available.

Let me beat you at Pro Evo.
Reply 17
Barny
I can't help but feel if they made the first year harder and made it count(say, 10% or so) then it would be a much better thing for us as Mathematicians.

the first year doen't count ? :confused:
Reply 18
hitheuk
the first year doen't count ? :confused:

Correct - it's known as the qualifying year. It's basically to make sure everyone's up to speed before you have to do any work that counts towards your degree. 2nd and 3rd year are called Stage I and Stage II (and if you're doing an undergrad masters, 4th year is Stage III) - it's only these that contribute. Medicine is a bit different though, cos first year does count.
Reply 19
alex-hs
Correct - it's known as the qualifying year. It's basically to make sure everyone's up to speed before you have to do any work that counts towards your degree. 2nd and 3rd year are called Stage I and Stage II (and if you're doing an undergrad masters, 4th year is Stage III) - it's only these that contribute. Medicine is a bit different though, cos first year does count.

hey, thanks!
are you a maths student ?

Latest

Trending

Trending