The Student Room Group

CP6: Can you do it in HTML/PHP/MySQL?

I am currently doing A2 Computing and for my coursework I am currently using VisualBasic which I have very limited knowledge of, I used it last year for my project and found it hard to grasp.

However to my suprise I have been reading a few topics here and a lot of people say they have used it for their projects so is it possible to use it, will the exam board allow you too? My project can be easily done in HTML/PHP/MySQL and I have extensive knowledge of these languages. So does anybody know for sure if it is possible to write it in this language? Will I loose any marks if I do?

Many Thanks
Reply 1
im not sure.

The marks are mainly for the write up from what ive been told.
But dont quote me on that.

Why dont you ask your teacher ?
Reply 2
I have asked my teacher, but she is not sure and just said to do it in VB because she didnt want me doing it in PHP and then having to do it again. She has no problem with me doing it though she just wouldn't be able to give any help which I wouldn't need anyways.
Reply 3
well ask her to ask the exam board?
Reply 4
Have a look at the specification for your exam board.

In my class last year at least one person did their AQA CPT6 project in PHP/HTML, but I don't know what marks they got.
Reply 5
I have checked the AQA CPT 2009 specification but it doesnt list anything about languages that I can find. And like I said I found a lot of threads of people who have used PHP for their coursework aparently, I just really need to find somone who knows for definate or as close too.
Reply 6
Hmm I did just find this on their website though...

http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/CPT6-ADVICE-AND-INFORMATION-BOOKLET.PDF

Software
The majority of projects used Access with VBA or Visual Basic with a few using
Pascal/Delphi. Other languages used were C++, PHP, ASP, Java, and JavaScript whilst a
few used Linux based languages. Candidates completing a project entirely with a high level
language accounted for nearly all the very high scoring projects.
Reply 7
TuckerUK
I have checked the AQA CPT 2009 specification but it doesnt list anything about languages that I can find. And like I said I found a lot of threads of people who have used PHP for their coursework aparently, I just really need to find somone who knows for definate or as close too.

Hmm, my teacher also worked for AQA so if PHP wasn't acceptable then we wouldn't have been able to use it at all. I think it should be fine provided that it doesn't make your project too simple; however if it does make it very simple then you will be limited to the lower bands.
I did it using these languages.
Reply 9
Doing the AQA syllabus this year too, and it's totally allowed. The only drawback (and why teacher's aren't keen on it), is they can't help you with the code or any bugs - as mentioned above. I'm doing mine in a combination of PHP/HTML/AJAX and JS, and my teacher said it's absolutely fine.
Reply 10
EXCELLENT!!! Emailed my teacher (half term here) I am estatic right now... wish I had known this for last year :biggrin: It shouldn't be too simple like I said I have extensive knowledge of HTML/PHP/MySQL, so now I can do it with confidence instead of being stumped everytime by Visual Basic :yep:

Thanks!
TuckerUK
EXCELLENT!!! Emailed my teacher (half term here) I am estatic right now... wish I had known this for last year :biggrin: It shouldn't be too simple like I said I have extensive knowledge of HTML/PHP/MySQL, so now I can do it with confidence instead of being stumped everytime by Visual Basic :yep:

Thanks!

:biggrin: Peters pumps was so much easier in VB than PHP would have been. Would have been more JS than anything else (in fact, totally JS as there were no data storage requirements).
Reply 12
Yes, its only the teachers that say no because they cant help you with anything.

I'm doing mine in java, which I am extremely comfortable with over VB, which looks like crap tbh.
Reply 13
I'm doing my CPT6 in those technologies atm,
though i'm leaving out the sql part in exchange for some more programming related features. usually consisting of frontend -> data transformation -> output. An example would be writing a search facility in ASP. Or something complex such as online form -> php -> adobe flex -> generate pdf -> email to user.

I'm using html, javascript, flash actionscript (for classes), coldfusion, php, xml.

Just make sure you keep wizards; programs that do things for you; to a minimal.
And also to avoid off-the-shelf packages and instead do a bespoke solution.

Latest

Trending

Trending