The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Gangsta Boogie
Hey,

Can someone please tell me what areas of Medicine ethical related issues are involved. I know it seems almost all of them, but I'm only interested in the areas which are likely to come up at interview and areas which are in our depths. I've got stem cell research, euthanasia,postcode lotteries( if that is included?) but so far that's about it.

Thanks for the replies.

Organ Transplants/ Donations.
Reply 2
You could do your own interview preparation? Only being interested in the interview is a great approach :s-smilie:
Reply 3
I suppose issues like when to maintain patient confidentiality and things like that are always good.
Abortion, Euthanasia, Stem Cell Research, etc.

No offence but some of the people applying this year (especially at my school) have so little idea about the application process, what Medicine involves and ethical dilemmas it is worrying.

OP could you not do some research!?
Yes, I knew i forgot abortion just didnt think where the ethical issues could arise, but I know now thanks.
Reply 6
Absolutely everything from presentation, diagnosis, treatment to discharge of a patient is an ethical area.
Reply 7
Renal
Absolutely everything from presentation, diagnosis, treatment to discharge of a patient is an ethical area.

This. OP, you could be asked to discuss the ethics of anything, you aren't expected to know the details of the treatment, you're merely expected to put forward a balanced argument, demonstrating that you can appreciate viewpoints other than your own. Why do you need to know now anyway? Your time would be far better spent practising constructing a balanced argument, rather than learning all of the different viewpoints by rote.
end of life issues are particularly important in medicine. note the recent decision re: law on assisting suicide and the dignitas clinic. plus abortion, mental capacity, madness, ivf etc etc
Reply 9
Speedbird2008
Abortion, Euthanasia, Stem Cell Research, etc.

No offence but some of the people applying this year (especially at my school) have so little idea about the application process, what Medicine involves and ethical dilemmas it is worrying.

OP could you not do some research!?

That is not worrying! That is the complete opposite of worrying.

Don't you find it comforting that there are applicants like this? As though you have a better chance...

I know I do.
Reply 10
Kinkerz
That is not worrying! That is the complete opposite of worrying.

Don't you find it comforting that there are applicants like this? As though you have a better chance...

I know I do.
It's ******* terrifying. Probably half the people getting in this year will be ***** and some of them will be my house officer. :frown:
Reply 11
Renal
It's ******* terrifying. Probably half the people getting in this year will be ***** and some of them will be my house officer. :frown:

T'is a good point.

I was coming from an entirely selfish angle :p:
which newspaper would be good for reading when it comes to ethical issues?
Reply 13
Renal

Tbh, I doubt they're any worse than any other year group. The ones who aren't scary are not asking the dumb questions so we don't spot them! :wink:

Original post by {&#1581

It really doesn't matter, as long as you have some opinions that are your own and not theirs. Everything from the News of the World to the Torygraph will have stories about the health service, as long as you can read them with an open mind and actually work out what the real deal might be, it doesn't matter where you start. Though I wouldn't advise the NotW.
Helenia

It really doesn't matter, as long as you have some opinions that are your own and not theirs. Everything from the News of the World to the Torygraph will have stories about the health service, as long as you can read them with an open mind and actually work out what the real deal might be, it doesn't matter where you start. Though I wouldn't advise the NotW.

oh right thank you. I basically need a balance argument for the ethical issues.
Original post by {&#1581

the guardian is quite good.
Reply 16
Renal

Don't worry, i wont let you down.

(lol)
Renal

Think of them, they will have you as a Consultant. :eek:
Conscientious objection is a good one...there's an excellent article in the student BMJ on it if you go to the site and search.

Latest