The Student Room Group
Reply 1
LakHani_Hasnain
For the common application, is it best to have the school forms (grade transcripts, teacher evaluations, etc.) filled online or sent by post? My school is a relatively new one so they can't offer any help on this sort of stuff; and the FAQ on the common app site isn't really helpful.

Thanks in advance.

It doesn't matter as long as it all gets to the uni.

However (I know nothing about the postal system in Saudi Arabia, so please don't take any of this personally!), if you're concerned about mail going missing etc. then it will be best to submit them online - international mail can often be messy, especially as the deadline (frequently January 1) is so close to the holiday season in much of the world and it would seriously, seriously stink to not have your application considered due to something beyond your control (e.g. USPS messups).

Good luck! :biggrin:
Agneisse
It doesn't matter as long as it all gets to the uni.

However (I know nothing about the postal system in Saudi Arabia, so please don't take any of this personally!), if you're concerned about mail going missing etc. then it will be best to submit them online - international mail can often be messy, especially as the deadline (frequently January 1) is so close to the holiday season in much of the world and it would seriously, seriously stink to not have your application considered due to something beyond your control (e.g. USPS messups).

Good luck! :biggrin:

Thanks. :smile:
Don't really trust the mail system here, the only form I had mailed for UCAS was sent through DHL, which is expensive :o:.

Got another question: What exactly does the counselor do? Is he/she just supposed to fill out the forms as indicated here? http://www.commonapp.org/CommonApp/SchoolFormsFAQ.aspx . We have no official counselors so knowing what is needed will help find the right person to ask.
Reply 3
LakHani_Hasnain
Thanks. :smile:
Don't really trust the mail system here, the only form I had mailed for UCAS was sent through DHL, which is expensive :o:.

Got another question: What exactly does the counselor do? Is he/she just supposed to fill out the forms as indicated here? http://www.commonapp.org/CommonApp/SchoolFormsFAQ.aspx . We have no official counselors so knowing what is needed will help find the right person to ask.

The counselor is the person who fills in your transcript (list of course taken + grades received), maybe give a secondary school report (basically the place to talk about the quality of students at the school, whether everyone is eligible for free lunch, graduation rates, etc.) and perhaps write a recommendation explaining the level of courses you have taken and how awesome you are at school etc. Officially he (mine's a he, anyway) is supposed to advise one on course selections, ensure that one graduates, and be the first port of call if one is having trouble in school or life in general (though their effectiveness, um, greatly varies :p:)

So probably someone like a headteacher/head of sixth form or even a teacher whom one knows well and who doesn't mind extra work would suffice :biggrin:
Agneisse
So probably someone like a headteacher/head of sixth form or even a teacher whom one knows well and who doesn't mind extra work would suffice :biggrin:

Thanks again :smile:
One last question (hopefully the last this time for real :o:):
I had a bit of a mix-up with my official name (damn asian names), so I registered and took the SAT I with my name as "M Hasnain Lakhani" as my full name wouldn't fit .. However now it seems that it should actually be "Muhammad H Lakhani" instead, and i'm applying with that name. Should I get my name corrected at the college board and have my SAT scores sent again so that colleges can match my name to my scores? Or would that cause a problem?
Reply 5
LakHani_Hasnain
Thanks again :smile:
One last question (hopefully the last this time for real :o:):
I had a bit of a mix-up with my official name (damn asian names), so I registered and took the SAT I with my name as "M Hasnain Lakhani" as my full name wouldn't fit .. However now it seems that it should actually be "Muhammad H Lakhani" instead, and i'm applying with that name. Should I get my name corrected at the college board and have my SAT scores sent again so that colleges can match my name to my scores? Or would that cause a problem?

Don't feel bad for asking questions (:

Once again, I should say that I know nothing about universities or any other official business bureaucracy board, but do know that Arabic/Malay/Persian (sorry for sounding like I'm stereotyping) names can be very confusing due to the need of abbreviations so they fit in the given # of boxes etc. - do you go by Hasnain, Lakhani or Muhammad? If it's the last then certainly getting it changed might be a good idea, but if it's Hasnain/Lakhani I don't think there's a need to worry since you have to put down your full name plus there's almost always a "preferred name" section on forms/supplements (if not on the common app itself) and you can put Hasnain/Lakhani on it, and if unis are at all acquainted with such names (which I don't see why they shouldn't be - there are Americans with Arabic names applying as well) they'll be understanding with the M, etc. Though I'd say emailing (phoning seems to be much rarer here) a few unis and ask if this would draw red flags and hearing their opinion wouldn't be a bad idea :biggrin:
Agneisse
Don't feel bad for asking questions (:

Once again, I should say that I know nothing about universities or any other official business bureaucracy board, but do know that Arabic/Malay/Persian (sorry for sounding like I'm stereotyping) names can be very confusing due to the need of abbreviations so they fit in the given # of boxes etc. - do you go by Hasnain, Lakhani or Muhammad? If it's the last then certainly getting it changed might be a good idea, but if it's Hasnain/Lakhani I don't think there's a need to worry since you have to put down your full name plus there's almost always a "preferred name" section on forms/supplements (if not on the common app itself) and you can put Hasnain/Lakhani on it, and if unis are at all acquainted with such names (which I don't see why they shouldn't be - there are Americans with Arabic names applying as well) they'll be understanding with the M, etc. Though I'd say emailing (phoning seems to be much rarer here) a few unis and ask if this would draw red flags and hearing their opinion wouldn't be a bad idea :biggrin:

Well, my official first name is "Muhammad Hasnain", last name is "Lakhani" .. I've put down my preferred name as "Hasnain" though. I was thinking about emailing as well, guess I'll do it then. Thanks :smile:
Reply 7
LakHani_Hasnain
Well, my official first name is "Muhammad Hasnain", last name is "Lakhani" .. I've put down my preferred name as "Hasnain" though. I was thinking about emailing as well, guess I'll do it then. Thanks :smile:

Oh another thing (was going to mention this but I forgot) - there's no word limit for the teacher recommendation, so if you're really worried (I'm really paranoid, so thankfully my name only has a single-digit number of letters :p:) get your referee/"counselor" to note it in the recommendation so they have it in writing that you're not just posing to be someone else to get awesome SAT scores under your name :biggrin:
Agneisse
Oh another thing (was going to mention this but I forgot) - there's no word limit for the teacher recommendation, so if you're really worried (I'm really paranoid, so thankfully my name only has a single-digit number of letters :p:) get your referee/"counselor" to note it in the recommendation so they have it in writing that you're not just posing to be someone else to get awesome SAT scores under your name :biggrin:

Thanks, could get that done as well I guess :smile: Although my SAT score isn't particularly high..
Another question:
What exactly do universities want in the grade transcript? Will IGCSE and AS results (along with a list of subjects for A2) be enough, or do they want regular school results(such as mocks and midterms) as well?

EDIT: I'm not sure about what to put in the part where they want class ranks and GPA; since our school doesn't do that stuff..
Your IGCSES & A level results make up the GPA.

Roughly it is aroundabouts,
A-4.0
B-3.0
C-2.0

As you are an international student they will know that your school does not do GPA and understand this, so just send off your exam results (not mocks and midterms) and they will use these.

GPA is just an indicator of how well you worked in high school, and Alevels and IGCSES do this just as well. (if not more so.)
Reply 11
LakHani_Hasnain
I'm not sure about what to put in the part where they want class ranks and GPA; since our school doesn't do that stuff..

Put something like N/A.

Latest

Trending

Trending