The Student Room Group

Ruskin School of Art, Oxford University

Has anyone been to Ruskin school of art Open Day? I would like to know if Ruskin's studios and workshops are good and how much studio space each student get ect.

I am thinking about applying next year, and still haven't got a chance or time to go there yet.

I've know people studying at Slade before and know a bit about Slade but heard nothing about Ruskin. I'd love to know what Ruskin's students think about the school.

It will be great if anyone who has been to Ruskin or are currently studying there can tell me a bit more about the school and it's teaching.

Thanks a lot!!!:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm afraid that since the ruskin is pretty small, there aren't any students on tsr at the moment. I suggest perhaps you contact the department with your questions- there's usually an admissions officer who's job it is to answer questions like this so they should be fairly helpful.
Reply 2
thomasjtl
I'm afraid that since the ruskin is pretty small, there aren't any students on tsr at the moment.

How do you know about this?:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thank you for your advice.:smile: I will attend Ruskin's open day when I have the time but I think it's also important to know people's real experience studying there.
Reply 3
Look someone up on Facebook - I bet they have a facebook group.
Reply 4
Athena
Look someone up on Facebook - I bet they have a facebook group.

Thank you! it's a good idea! :wink: ... but I don't have a face book account ... :s-smilie:
Reply 5
How do you know about this?
ok ok- i don't know for sure, but i'm fairly certain. There aren't many regular posters on tsr that are current oxford students and none of them are at the ruskin.
The Ruskin isn't particularly renowned for its teaching. Look at their non-existent list of alumni. Oxford does well at academia, but is pretty poor in the art scene.
Reply 7
but if you don't necessarily want to be a career artist an oxford degree is probably a lot more useful than one from the slade.
thomasjtl
but if you don't necessarily want to be a career artist an oxford degree is probably a lot more useful than one from the slade.

I'm sorry but I have no respect for pseudo-artists like that, who go for the prestige. That's just plain sad.
Reply 9
Is Ruskin really that useless (without the name of Oxford)??? ... I mean I read quite a few negative comments about Ruskin here in TSR but still have the impression that it's more difficult, more competitive to get in Ruskin than Slade.

It might be that ... for example, Ruskin has got more money and have better facilities ect. ... I mean, apart from being part of Oxford, there must be some other reasons that make it so competitive to get a place there ...

Anymore knows?
Reply 10
thomasjtl
I'm afraid that since the ruskin is pretty small, there aren't any students on tsr at the moment. I suggest perhaps you contact the department with your questions- there's usually an admissions officer who's job it is to answer questions like this so they should be fairly helpful.

hmm..... I wonder why oxford students don't hang around TSR ...:curious:
Reply 11
I'm sorry but I have no respect for pseudo-artists like that, who go for the prestige. That's just plain sad.
Welcome to the real world. People need to get jobs after they graduate- if you wanna make it as an artist best of luck to you, but it's good to have some other options and a good academic degree from a institution with a reputation in the humanities is gonna stand you in good stead.

Is Ruskin really that useless (without the name of Oxford)??? ... I mean I read quite a few negative comments about Ruskin here in TSR but still have the impression that it's more difficult, more competitive to get in Ruskin than Slade.
By and large I wouldn't recommend you pay much attention to opinions you hear on TSR- half the people round here are about 17 and would have you believe that oxbridge is actually **** and has been overtaken by London Met in terms of actual education. I know very little about art schools so can't say either way. Go talk to your art teachers, but also remember that undergrad is just the start- if you're serious about persuing art as a career you're likely to want to do a masters and by that point you'll be in a much better position to know where's the best place for you and the specific area you want to concentrate on.
Reply 12
thomasjtl
Welcome to the real world. People need to get jobs after they graduate- if you wanna make it as an artist best of luck to you, but it's good to have some other options and a good academic degree from a institution with a reputation in the humanities is gonna stand you in good stead.

I have a friend who graduated 2 years ago from Slade and is till unemployed .... he is not doing any art either :rolleyes:

But what made you think a Fine Art degree from Oxford give one more chance of finding a job? ... I mean ... if you cannot find a job that is art related, then a fine art degree is just equally useless in most employers' eye
regardless which uni you're from ... correct me if I'm wrong :p:

By and large I wouldn't recommend you pay much attention to opinions you hear on TSR- half the people round here are about 17 and would have you believe that oxbridge is actually **** and has been overtaken by London Met in terms of actual education.

:laughing: God! you are so funny! ... I think I :yep: .... but regarding the case of Slade vs Ruskin, it's a very difficult one to judge ... only because Slade is so good that Oxford's name might not be worth considering ... if you know what I mean ...

Go talk to your art teachers, but also remember that undergrad is just the start- if you're serious about persuing art as a career you're likely to want to do a masters and by that point you'll be in a much better position to know where's the best place for you and the specific area you want to concentrate on.

I don't have an art teacher - I'm self-taught. I went to UCL a wile ago studying History but dropped out, so I know UCL very well. I have been doing art for a long time and have no doubt I want a 'real career' as an artist. So ... I know exactly what I am doing and have a very clear plan about what to do in the future. Going to the University is just to get into 'the circle' and find the support. I'm very confident as an leaner so the school's founding, resources and studio space are far more important for me. I'm from a very poor background and always have to work to support myself, you see. Therefore, the more support the Uni offer the better it's for me.

I just realise you are a Oxford student. I think you might have some suggestions for me :wink2:
Reply 13
I posted a question regarding student support in a different section but haven't got any helpful reply yet :frown: ... I wonder what you think about this, J?

I'm trying to figure out how much support in total I will get if I go to Oxford or UCL (apart from tuition fee):

Independent Student, income below 11600, not living at home

Oxford
Bursary: 3150
Maintenance Loan: 4625
Maintenance Grant:2835
(-1260 Maintenance Loan)
Total:9350

UCL
Bursary: 2700
Maintenance Loan: 6480
Maintenance Grant:2835
(-1260 Maintenance Loan)
Total:10755

Given that living expanse is much higher in London, I guess Oxford's support will help more to ease financial pressure while studying for the degree. Is this calculation correct?

Reply 14
That seems about right. Oxford is noted as having pretty much the most generous bursary scheme in the country and is a cheaper place to live than london (although is still quite an expensive place compared to most other places outside london).

From what i hear, London is likely to be an easier place to make connections in- i mean the ruskin is small and there aren't any decent gallaries in Oxford. I only know one person at the ruskin and he really likes it but i don't know how it compares with somewhere like the slade. I really suggest you come and visit rather than just judging off paper.

You're right to some extent about Fine art not being the most endearing subject for an employer, but oxford on your CV is still a major plus, rather than some relatively unheard of art school (outside of art circles, of course), and plus, the oxford course is gonna have a strong academic component to it, which will appeal to employers (being able to digest information and viewpoints and summerise it or argue a case is a very useful skill).
Reply 15
Whether you want to be a professional artist or not, Fine Art at Oxford probably isn't the best way to go. If you DO then there are way better art schools than Ruskin (lots in London). If you DON'T then just don't do Fine Art, as it really doesn't set you in good stead for anything else. It would be a bit like taking a medical degree and then not being a doctor.
Reply 16
thomasjtl
That seems about right. Oxford is noted as having pretty much the most generous bursary scheme in the country and is a cheaper place to live than london (although is still quite an expensive place compared to most other places outside london).

From what i hear, London is likely to be an easier place to make connections in- i mean the ruskin is small and there aren't any decent gallaries in Oxford. I only know one person at the ruskin and he really likes it but i don't know how it compares with somewhere like the slade. I really suggest you come and visit rather than just judging off paper.

You're right to some extent about Fine art not being the most endearing subject for an employer, but oxford on your CV is still a major plus, rather than some relatively unheard of art school (outside of art circles, of course), and plus, the oxford course is gonna have a strong academic component to it, which will appeal to employers (being able to digest information and viewpoints and summerise it or argue a case is a very useful skill).

Thank you, J. I enjoy your discussion. :smile:

Of course I will find a chance to go to Oxford, but I think listening to people's real experience is also very important. There are things you cannot see and cannot know by just visiting ... you must know what I mean ...

I wonder if your friend (who's studying at the Ruskin) has told you why he enjoys the course ...:smile:
Reply 17
when i say friend, i mean an aquaintance who i met a few days ago.
Reply 18
thomasjtl
when i say friend, i mean an aquaintance who i met a few days ago.

that_diesel?:p:
Reply 19
hobnob
that_diesel?:p:

:confused: :hmmmm:

Latest

Trending

Trending