Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Transcript analysis... writing essays!

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have to analyse a transcript for AS English Language. This will be my second attempt and, although I'm comfortable with the various different features and terminology, I'm really having difficulties in structuring it in an essay. I'm referring to a text book (Living Language) which explains that it should be written as followed...

Describe the context

Look at the dialogue as a whole

Look at the contribution of each participant

Talk about turn taking, interruptions etc.

Look for non-fluency features

Analyse sentence types, grammar choices etc.

Look to see if there are any interesting lexical choices (in reference to dialect, idiolect etc.)

I've tried to follow this structure, but I'm finding that it's all so repetitive. When I, for example, talk about the contribution of the participants, I describe the turn taking and sentence types used. Also, in the description of the context, I talk about their relationships and therefore the turn taking.

Can anyone suggest an alternative? I need help! What do I do?

Do I talk briefly in the context, and then expand on my points further in the essay?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    In that case, try not to follow the suggested structure like a formula. Choose a feature, comment on it - all the things you mentioned - then move on.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just make sure that you use all of the frameworks: lexis, grammar, phonology, pragmatics, semantics and discourse structure. So long as you've included reference to those frameworks you'll get the marks.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your advice... I've had another go and this time I didn't stick to any specific structure. I think I've covered all points and so I'm pretty happy. Thanks again.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 2, 2008
New on TSR

So how did you do?

Come into the GCSE forum to share your grades

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.