The Student Room Group

Need Serious Help 4 A Level Physics

Hello again!!! this is bluefire.:cool:

I would be very glad if someone would help me by suggesting what topic shall i pick for unit 3 in topics. The topics are as following 1) astrophysics 2) solid materials 3) nuclear physics & 4) medical physics. Astrophysics is the one in which i am interested but 85% of my classmates are choosing solid materials, 3% are choosing medical physics, 1% is choosing nuclear & particle physics & the remaining 1% is sticking to astrophysics that is ONLY me!!!

Can anyone xplain why a majority would choose solid materials & why i should not choose astrophysics. Canit be cuz its difficult than solid materials. If was possible i would choose neither cuz i want to be an architect & i think they do not require either of the knowledge but as i find astrophysics better & more interesting than the others that is the only reason i chose astrophysics!!:mad:

THIS IS 4 THE GCE A LEVEL PHYSICS STUDENTS!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
dunno... I chose MEdical physics and it was quite easy :biggrin:
Reply 2
remiredo
dunno... I chose MEdical physics and it was quite easy :biggrin:

so 4 practicals basically its not related to the topic u choose 4 topics is that right!!
Reply 3
ermm... I think they are different sections ie. 3A and 3B, one is topics and the other is the practical... but they souldn't be related ... at least 4 me they weren't :smile:
Reply 4
Astro physics is apparently the easiest....
Reply 5
Seriously, do astro as it is really interesting and pretty easy tbh.
(I still got around 70% when I hadn't revised and it was my 6th exam of the day so I was in hysterics.)
Reply 6
How many of you did take astrophysics??? & how was the experience. :wink:

I need to know this cuz i want to see an average!!! I am also curious about the fact that did u guys also have such a situation as mine that part of ur class took astro & the other part took something else & if so then how did a single teacher teach u such different topics & what did others do while she taught one group about solid materials???

I was just wondering WHAT ALL did u do in practicals/ like what?? PLz share ur experience with me !!!!
:yep:

And how many of you are interested in architecture or civil engineering??:cool:
Reply 7
I took it as our teacher chose for our whole class but we all wanted to do it except one who wanted to do medical physics as she was a medicine applicant.
In astro there aren't really any practicals but we didn't do many anyway (made the practical exam for AS interesting!!!)
I have to admit that it has nothing to do with architecture but do any of the options?
Reply 8
theoldnurse
I took it as our teacher chose for our whole class but we all wanted to do it except one who wanted to do medical physics as she was a medicine applicant.
In astro there aren't really any practicals but we didn't do many anyway (made the practical exam for AS interesting!!!)
I have to admit that it has nothing to do with architecture but do any of the options?

I know it has nothing to do with being an architect. Infact none the four topics is related to my future profession. I chose it due to my interest. And did the medical physics girl/boy studied individually or did the teacher taught him/her individually. I am curious could u rply to what i was asking previously. plz read again carefully & i am sorry if u can't understand.!!!!
Our class is taking astro
Reply 10
the teacher decided for all the class... everyone did medical physics... he told us that if we wanted we could do some other topic individually and he would help us.. but no one did that....
he also told us that one year he had tought astrophysics, but students in other years that had done medical physics found it easier to study the topic than those doing astrophisics...

(dunno if that's really clear :smile:)
Reply 11
the teacher decided for all the class... everyone did medical physics... he told us that if we wanted we could do some other topic individually and he would help us.. but no one did that....
he also told us that one year he had tought astrophysics, but students in other years that had done medical physics found it easier to study the topic than those doing astrophisics...

(dunno if that's really clear :smile:)
Reply 12
theoldnurse

I know that its not related & neither of them is as i mentioned above. PLz read it again if still u can't understand my point then forget it . I have asked a simple question that how was a single medical physics student attended by the teacher !!!!!
Sorry I didn't answer properly, it's been a long day!!

the Med. girl had to do astro with the rest of us as in a class of 6 our teacher wasn't willing to split the group just for one of us (my school is really inflexible like that).

In non-astro practicals (if you were asking that; I'm not sure) you do experiments to prove what you learn about. There is, I'm sure you know, a practical exam which makes up about 20% of your AS mark (for Edexcel at least).
So the class was not split for topic at all. And as I said before there were no practicals for astro as it's sort of impossible, us not being able to go into space!
Reply 14
sorry for being 4 so rude... i also had a long day & today we heard a news that dubai's ministry announced 4 the month of november that there will be only one off day that is friday 4 schools only. So i was pissed off!!

so what did u do in practicals if u were an astrophysics student & did the med girl study by herself in the class!!!!
AS I SAID

there were no astro practicals!!!

The girl had to do astro with the rest of us and not do medical physics though she tried to!!!

Sorry, I have a brain-addling cold. As in sorry for not being clear.
Reply 16
what did u do in practicals so did u not have any practical exams ???
we did have practicals for the other two units (Elec & Thermal, Mechs & Rad) and then a practical exam, we just didn't do any practicals in astro itself.
astrophysics is so easy it is actually bordering on cheating.
You need to knwo a couple of formulae [which they give you] and then just he theory of stars which you can learn in a night.

ASTRO FOR THE WIN
Reply 19
I did particle coz this is the best time to learn abt it especially with the LHC experiment going on at CERN.

Persuade ur classmates to do particle because it is sikkkk.

Quick Reply

Latest