The Student Room Group

A2 Geography CW Help

Hello,

I did not decide my Geography coursework for A2 until this half term break and I have settled on microclimates in the Sevenoaks area.

I am going to measure the temperature and wind speed in the CBD of Sevenoaks Town and from there I will take these same measurement every half mile from the town centre until I reach the countryside surrounding the town. I want to find the temperature and wind speed and how this relates to land use IE. highstreet buildings channel wind making it faster / heat from vehicles and buildings increase the air temperature of CBD compared to the agricultured countryside around the town.

I also want to have a map of the area and colourcode it indicating the temperature change as one moves out of the CBD towards the countryside along with wind speed and direction.

Does this seem adequate - The relationship between land use and microclimates as one moves from the CBD to the surrounding countryside area?

Are there any other meterological measurements I can take?

Thank you for any assistance offered - I suppose it is of no help to say the Geography teacher has offered little guidance and support, and seems to get angry when one asks for any help..... :frown:

Thank-you all,

MonkeymanC3 :smile:
Reply 1
How broad can you go? My AS cousework last year was something about how wind speeds, temperature, vegetation diversity and density, soil pH, minerals etc change the further inland travelled from the coast along some dunes. You have a LOT to talk about with that.
Reply 2
I did this for my geography coursework last week for gsce!!
Our teacher said it was a good way of helping find the CBD and we could note down what each area was to help us; residential, countryside, suburbs etc.

I dont know what else you could measure....
maybe humidity:s?

Oh and you look really stupid standing there with the wind thing lol :P
Reply 3
Thank you for the tips!!

I can go as broad as I like - I guess in general terms its how land use effects or modifies the environment...in a way. I am not restriced to a topic, and I can inter-relate multiple topics into the same generalised question, if that makes sense?

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 4
Could you measure ground permeability? I think I have seen it being measured by pouring a certain amount of liquid onto the ground and timing how long it takes to soak in.
Reply 5
Sorry to be a downer on this party, but really should have been posted in here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=83

Latest

Trending

Trending