The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I came to this post worrying about a new DSA assessment hoping they would help me get a laptop (as long as it runs well and has a big screen so I can see the text easily) but some of the comments here are disheartening. I need a laptop to function at my best in my degree an the only computer I have now I have had for over 5 years and is on it's last legs (cracked screen, missing buttons, battery gone and on it's 3rd charger, not mentioning how slow he gets).

DSA is not about bagging an expensive apple product. For me it is about the relief and joy a student feels when they can accomplish things they worried they could not, the joy of something ENABLING them to achieve.
Original post by NovaWoodbane
I came to this post worrying about a new DSA assessment hoping they would help me get a laptop (as long as it runs well and has a big screen so I can see the text easily) but some of the comments here are disheartening. I need a laptop to function at my best in my degree an the only computer I have now I have had for over 5 years and is on it's last legs (cracked screen, missing buttons, battery gone and on it's 3rd charger, not mentioning how slow he gets).

DSA is not about bagging an expensive apple product. For me it is about the relief and joy a student feels when they can accomplish things they worried they could not, the joy of something ENABLING them to achieve.

To be honest if your recommendations are accepted you'll get a working brand new laptop which should help a lot with the work.

These posts on here are just a selection, there are thousands of people who go though with no problem :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Having just been assessed for a 13/14 (yes, really) DSA claim I'm currently embroiled in a bit of a battle with the DSA and their supplier Remtek over a laptop.

Currently I run a 2.5 year old HP with 6GB RAM and 1TB harddrive. With it being fairly old and having been used a lot it wouldn't run the software I've been given so now I need a new laptop.

The laptop recommended is one I've never heard of or seen (and I have specific requirements for keyboard size) with worse spec than mine (less RAM, significantly smaller hard-drive).

I've managed to find one which meets their specifications and price (£380 for a laptop with the 2.4Ghz processor speed they need is painful) but which isn't inferior to my current machine.

What I am somewhat irritated by is the fact that the Equipment Budget is ostensibly mine but I get little to no say in the allocation of funds despite the fact that I cannot afford to run two computers and I can't work between two laptops.
Reply 43
Original post by GrumpyStudent
Having just been assessed for a 13/14 (yes, really) DSA claim I'm currently embroiled in a bit of a battle with the DSA and their supplier Remtek over a laptop.

Currently I run a 2.5 year old HP with 6GB RAM and 1TB harddrive. With it being fairly old and having been used a lot it wouldn't run the software I've been given so now I need a new laptop.

The laptop recommended is one I've never heard of or seen (and I have specific requirements for keyboard size) with worse spec than mine (less RAM, significantly smaller hard-drive).

I've managed to find one which meets their specifications and price (£380 for a laptop with the 2.4Ghz processor speed they need is painful) but which isn't inferior to my current machine.

What I am somewhat irritated by is the fact that the Equipment Budget is ostensibly mine but I get little to no say in the allocation of funds despite the fact that I cannot afford to run two computers and I can't work between two laptops.

I know your annoyance. I spent about £150 repairing my current laptop in May, only for my DSA assessment to say I must have a new one because my current one is 5 years old. If I was not disabled I would use this computer, it (now) still works and the shop I got it repaired in advised repairing it rather than buying a new one. I am unsure if I will try and keep using both or transfer everything onto my new one when I get it, because I do not think I can manage between 2 laptops.

The DSA system can not be perfect for everyone and every situation, it has specific rules like this = must reccomend this I imagine e.g. current laptop is more than X years old = must reccomend a new one. But, I am very imrpessed with everything else I have been recomended, my total support cost approved is massive so I really can't be complaining.
Reply 44
Original post by GrumpyStudent

The equipment 'budget' is not yours, it is a maximum amount of funding available per head through DSA. Your individual needs will have been assessed on the evidence submitted and in-line with DSA regulations, and if recommended a laptop it will be the standard DSA-WKH15 machine which is a specification capable of running the recommended software. If you feel this is inadequate you can continue with your current machine, or fund an upgrade.
Reply 45
Original post by dipka
I know your annoyance. I spent about £150 repairing my current laptop in May, only for my DSA assessment to say I must have a new one because my current one is 5 years old. If I was not disabled I would use this computer, it (now) still works and the shop I got it repaired in advised repairing it rather than buying a new one. I am unsure if I will try and keep using both or transfer everything onto my new one when I get it, because I do not think I can manage between 2 laptops.

The DSA system can not be perfect for everyone and every situation, it has specific rules like this = must reccomend this I imagine e.g. current laptop is more than X years old = must reccomend a new one. But, I am very imrpessed with everything else I have been recomended, my total support cost approved is massive so I really can't be complaining.

I'm surprised any shop would recommend fixing a 5 year old laptop that much. They are only intended to last about 4 years.

Yes there are rules like that with DSA and if an assessor doesn't stick to them the report is rejected. if the laptop age + duration of course is more than 5 years = replace machine.

Latest