The Student Room Group

Oxbridge and musical instruments.

Sooo I'm just wondering really, but do Oxbridge take into account musical instruments at the high grades (8)? I know they look at academic stuff first, but does a grade 8 boost your app? Also, do they take into account whether you got a distinction, merit or pass?
I've decided to do two 8's this term but dunno how well a pass i'll get.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's not going to help your application. Oxford and Cambridge make offers on an academic basis.
Reply 2
Yeh it will boost it, I had a grade 8 but i just put it on my personal statement. I wouldn't make it too great an emphasis
Unless you're applying for some kind of music-based scholarship and/or music, it will make no difference whatsoever.
Reply 4
Alright, thanks for the quick replies! :smile:
Reply 5
Yeah, as previous posters have said, unless the course is music-related in some way, musical achievements will not really benefit your application much at all at Oxbridge. Your academic achievements count for almost everything, with extra-curricular activities providing you with just that extra something to add to the typical three A grade prediction you send in your application!
Reply 6
it wouldn't hurt if thats what your saying
Reply 7
No, it won't hurt, but it won't clinch your place either. You will also be amazed at the number of people here who are "only Grade 8 but rubbish really." :rolleyes:
BrightGirl
Sooo I'm just wondering really, but do Oxbridge take into account musical instruments at the high grades (8)?

One tutor (in a subject unrelated to music) told me he looked favourably on applicants who had studied an instrument, as it showed they had application and persistance to a long-term goal. So it might help, but don't expect it to be a clincher.

DtS
To quote from a talk we got from the New College Dean when I was looking at Oxford colleges:

"If you tell us that you're such a nerd that when you've finished doing Physics you do more Physics, we're probably going to be quite enthusiastic, but if you can show that, in addition to your excellent academic potential, you enjoy a wide range of extra-curricular activity, that's great too."

Says it all, really.
Reply 10
Helenia
No, it won't hurt, but it won't clinch your place either. You will also be amazed at the number of people here who are "only Grade 8 but rubbish really." :rolleyes:

I can empathise with that TOTALLY.
Reply 11
Derek_the_Sheep
One tutor (in a subject unrelated to music) told me he looked favourably on applicants who had studied an instrument, as it showed they had application and persistance to a long-term goal. So it might help, but don't expect it to be a clincher.

DtS

Hmm thats interesting. Basically it's just a little extra curricular, and it's better to do it than not do it.
No they wont, you only have to meet the admissions tutors to realise instantly how little it matters.
BrightGirl
Sooo I'm just wondering really, but do Oxbridge take into account musical instruments at the high grades (8)? I know they look at academic stuff first, but does a grade 8 boost your app? Also, do they take into account whether you got a distinction, merit or pass?
I've decided to do two 8's this term but dunno how well a pass i'll get.

:eek: Nothing really to add to what others have said about admissions tutors not taking much notice. Two Grade 8s in the same term is a LOT of work: good luck! :smile:
Reply 14
If you enjoy playing music, then you should just do it for enjoyment's sake, and not give a damn whether or not it will improve your application.

Life's not all about getting into Oxbridge :smile:
Reply 15
This is from Stephen Siklos, Professor of maths at Jesus,
"Excellence in some other academic-related activity (music or chess, for example) is sometimes a useful indicator which we might consider if mathematical considerations were not conclusive."
http://www.jesus.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/subjects/mathematics.html
Reply 16
There's also a thing that medicine admissions say, something like "A student who has achieved good grades as well as something worthwhile in extra curricular, such as music or sport, is likely to be more impressive than a student with good grades but nothing else. It shows their current studies do not occupy all of their time."
Reply 17
The_Lonely_Goatherd
:eek: Nothing really to add to what others have said about admissions tutors not taking much notice. Two Grade 8s in the same term is a LOT of work: good luck! :smile:

I know, but I wanna get them out of the way before all the exams in the summer and jan. :frown:
Reply 18
One of my friends attended the Trinity (Cambridge) open day and told me that when asked about extra curricular stuff in PS one of the tutors said that it's not that they'll give you a distinct advantage over other applicants (because like others have said, admission is on academics alone), but that if they see a PS with none then alarm bells start to ring, so I guess this would apply for music stuff.

Good luck with the exams :smile:
I think this is a classic example of where there are contradictory messages coming out of the universities: the overall mantra is that it's entirely down to your attainment and potential at the subject you've applied for, but then you do get various bits and pieces around the edges which say they prefer well-rounded applicants.

In reality, however, the admissions tutors select the applicants whom they think might be in with a chance of getting a first. Extra-curriculars are unlikely to make a difference even in marginal cases.

Latest

Trending

Trending