The Student Room Group

A better way of concluding an essay than writting "In conclusion..."

Scroll to see replies

Therefore, to conclude, on the whole, to summarise, alltogether, overall, thus
I usually use to conclude.
Although when writing english essays I try and make it a bit more original by stating 'The engrossing characteristic of *insert authors name here* is definitely their frequent use of...'
I get flowing again then, and then realise my conclusion usually ends up equivalent to my main body! :smile:
don't use anything like 'overall', 'thus', 'in conclusion', or any other summarising word. it's pretty pedestrian.
just sum it up, without any of the aforementioned words or similar phrases.
After considering the aforementioned points, I believe that...

Taking the above into consideration, I have come to the conclusion that...

Having discussed the merits and drawbacks of each viewpoint, it seems to me that...

Something along those lines maybe?
You maybe could say
"I conclude thee"
Reply 26
You really shouldn't use I or my... because you're not supposed to talk in first person and you shouldn't use "in my opinion" because a conclusion isn't an opinion. It's literally just summing up everything you've written about, but without repeating the exact words you've used within the essay. Avoid putting new information in the conclusion also.
Similar to a summary, from reading a conclusion you should be able to get a good idea of what the overall essay is about.
"This evidence hints to the conclusion that..."
Teachers who drone on about this are really unhelpful. True, it is not the most original phrase but there are more important things to teach students about essay writing. Harping on about this minor point will just induce a lack of confidence. Focus on more important things.
1. To sum things up,2. As one can see,3. Overall,4. All things considered,5. Ultimately,6. In the end,7. Hence,8. It has been shown that,9. Thus,10. To top it off,11. In summary12. In review,13. To summarize,14. In short,15. In summary,
Reply 30
lol this thread is from 2008...
But I will say that I've always ended things with "In conclusion", Idc..
Ultimately, the writers are (successful/unsuccessful, etc.) at fuflfilling these (purposes/communicating these ideas) by... They are particularaly effective at doing this when...

That's what I do for the unseen part of my English exam.
(edited 8 years ago)
1. To sum things up,
2. As one can see,
3. In summary
4. Overall,
5. All things considered,
6. Ultimately,
7. In the end,
8. Hence,
9. It has been shown that,
10. Thus,
11. To top it off,
12. In summary
13. In review,
14. To summarize,
15. In short,
Hi MythicalCherry

Yeh, these look perfectly fine - and more importantly - clear and helpful signposts - whatever the pedants say!!! Although I have to say, I'm not fond of 11 - just my own idiosyncrasies - seems a bit too idiomatic to my ear - but it does the job.

ciao

Frankie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending