The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Socrates
Here we go again. I swear you must be getting commission from Warwick's advertising department.

LSE's Politics is stronger, imo, than Cambridge, which don't even offer Politics at undegrad level (and rather offer SPS, which is remarkably different in a lot of ways).

I don't think there are many (other than perhaps Illigan...) who would disagree with you on that one...
Reply 21
IlexAquifolium
I don't think there are many (other than perhaps Illigan...) who would disagree with you on that one...

You can never be sure in this area of TSR...
Reply 22
^ Well, don't worry people. I take your words with some value that's why I asked. I'm an MBA aspirant, not Politics, so my knowledge in this are is limited. :smile:

And to Socrates: you don't have to get paranoid. I have praised Warwick is a few instances in some threads on this board because I believe that it is a high quality school -- one of the very best in the UK for undergrad education. And I also happen to believe that --on generall-- the best UK unis are Cam, Ox, LSE, Imperial, Warwick and St Andrews. Again, that's for undergrad. Of course, you couldn't mention best UK uni without: UCL, Durham, Edinburgh, Bristol, Bath, Notts, York, Cardiff, Newcastle and manchester.
Reply 23
one question.. i cant seem to find the politics course at Bath, - is it only available with a language?
Reply 24
J-OD
one question.. i cant seem to find the politics course at Bath, - is it only available with a language?

Politics and IR

http://www.bath.ac.uk/esml/pwir/

There's also politics and economics plus the language and European study programmes.
Reply 25
oh..there we go, the pages on the prospectus must have been glued together :smile:
QMUL has a great department.
Just to let you know, Political Science and Political Studies are two different disciplines. Political Science, looks at it from a more quantitive approach; looks at it from a way similar to pure science. In contrast, Political Studies, approaches it from a qualitative approach.

UK universities, as well as continental Europe tend to focus on Political Studies, where as the US is more of the Political Science approach.

I'm assuming you're not actually making a distinction between the two and are actually just asking for the the top 10 'Politics' departments. However, really LSE, Essex and Strathclyde are the only 3 who offer Political Science. Everywhere else, you will be taught Political Studies.
bluntpencil
Just to let you know, Political Science and Political Studies are two different disciplines. Political Science, looks at it from a more quantitive approach; looks at it from a way similar to pure science. In contrast, Political Studies, approaches it from a qualitative approach.

UK universities, as well as continental Europe tend to focus on Political Studies, where as the US is more of the Political Science approach.

I'm assuming you're not actually making a distinction between the two and are actually just asking for the the top 10 'Politics' departments. However, really LSE, Essex and Strathclyde are the only 3 who offer Political Science. Everywhere else, you will be taught Political Studies.

erhhh no, most universities offer science versions of politics (less so at undergraduate level), look at the number of unis offering MScs in different areas of politics. and political science and political studies are subsumed under one department anyway so i think thats what op was getting at.
Undisputed
erhhh no, most universities offer science versions of politics (less so at undergraduate level), look at the number of unis offering MScs in different areas of politics. and political science and political studies are subsumed under one department anyway so i think thats what op was
getting at.

This is what I was told in my lecture on Tuesday, when the lecturer was explaining the difference between the two.
Reply 30
bluntpencil

You are right, but its hugely pedantic to bother picking up on it. Its a difference in approach, not a different discipline altogether.
tomdav
You are right, but its hugely pedantic to bother picking up on it. Its a difference in approach, not a different discipline altogether.

Indeed - and it rarely characterises a whole course.

I can see where your lecturer is coming from (and I've seen a few Sheffield undergrads repeat that sentiment), and I think as a general term it's quite valid; but it isn't right IMHO to label the approaches of entire departments or even countries as two seperate subjects.
Ahhhh I'm applying to Camb, LSE, Warwick, Bristol for Politics... :s-smilie: crazy competitive!
Reply 33
oh my LSE, Bristol and Warwick are so competitive for Politics. In all honestly I don't know how I'm going to get an offer :frown:
Reply 34
The OP's original list is out of date, the 2009 Times Good Uni Guide can be found at:

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_gug/gooduniversityguide.php?sort=TOTAL&subject=POLITICS
hello all,
Just a quick question on your opinion, what is the best politics department in terms of quality research.
Reply 36
I would have said LSE, although it really isn't my niche.
Reply 37
LSE *coughs*

Its all in the name.

(London School of Economics and Political Science)
really? why do you say LSE? isnt oxford or cambridge tops?
Reply 39
Miiineeeee :p:

But the above are also excellent.

Latest

Trending

Trending