The Student Room Group

Cambridge Education Studies Students and Applicants

I was asked to make this thread as there seems to be a problem creating threads in here - so here you go!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi!

I find the course education studies exciting. However, are there any other career options than teaching? I've read on the homepage of the faculty that graduates enter for example management, how is that even possible? Could I for example take a conversion course for law and then end up working at a magic circle firm?

You'll have to excuse my ignorance but we don't have this kind of system in Sweden, if you study education here you end up as teacher, period.

Thanks in advance,
Johan
Reply 2
The Education with (Other Subject) degree, is based around the disciplines of Education: Philosophy, History, Psychology and Sociology. It examines Education as an academic discipline, from a theoretical perspective. It is not a teaching degree. Education graduates have gone onto follow a range of vocations. Yes, some do go on to teach, but others choose law, the government civil service or management to name a few.

Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 3
Hi,

Although it seems like this thread has been dead for a while, I hope there will be someone around who could offer advice.

My sister is currently trying to decide between applying to Oxford for English Language and Literature and Cambridge for Education with English and Drama, and I was wondering if there are any current Education with English and Drama course students willing to offer some advice about the course itself and interviews?

Thank you.
eve_22
Hi,

Although it seems like this thread has been dead for a while, I hope there will be someone around who could offer advice.

My sister is currently trying to decide between applying to Oxford for English Language and Literature and Cambridge for Education with English and Drama, and I was wondering if there are any current Education with English and Drama course students willing to offer some advice about the course itself and interviews?

Thank you.

Hi :smile: we spoke a while ago about your sister didn't we? Anyway, in my (biased) opinion Education is definitely the way to go. Is she really interested in the practical side of drama? If not it's worth noting that the Education with English course shares a module of drama with the Ed with Eng and Drama students.

Basically-first year Education with English has the following modules:
Medieval and Renaissance Literature
Poetry from 1780-present
Drama (mainly ancient Greek)

first year education with english and drama take the module above on drama, has a choice from the other two mentioned and does a compulsory module in drama in production.

For English with Education there are 2 interviews (one about English, one general/education one). For drama there is an extra workshop where practical drama skills are looked at.

The Education part of the course looks very interesting (even more so since I've been exploring the first year lectures) and half of the course looks at the Philosophy, Psychology, History and Sociology of Education and the other half looks at Literacy and how children learn language. No prior knowledge of any of these disciplines are necessary.

Feel free to ask for more information (I have a reading list for both Education options) as my exams have finished and I'm free!!
I'm applying education with physical sciences at Homerton..

Any advice?
xuefeiyang1001

Any advice?

how about do a real subject (I'm refering to education)
hey guysch its m3!
how about do a real subject (I'm refering to education)

Just read through a few of your posts and you are either:
1) a typical Southern snobby bell end who probably went to a private/grammar school and has massive false perceptions of his intelligence.
2) a typical southern snobby bell end who probably went to a private/grammar school and failed to get into Cambridge and is bitter about anyone who got into there
3) a typical southern snobby bell end whoe went to a private/grammar school and got into an Oxbridge college and enojys trying to belittle people less intelligent than himself.

And no I don't do education before you ask.
Ryan the Invincible
Just read through a few of your posts and you are either:
1) a typical Southern snobby bell end who probably went to a private/grammar school and has massive false perceptions of his intelligence.
2) a typical southern snobby bell end who probably went to a private/grammar school and failed to get into Cambridge and is bitter about anyone who got into there
3) a typical southern snobby bell end whoe went to a private/grammar school and got into an Oxbridge college and enojys trying to belittle people less intelligent than himself.

And no I don't do education before you ask.

number 3! :biggrin:
hey guysch its m3!
number 3! :biggrin:

and maybe I should add 'looks for dating oppurtunities on student forums'...lmao oh dear :yep:
xuefeiyang1001

Any advice?

Ignore heyguysitsm3-he's a troll who shares the same traits as previous trolls who have criticised me, Homerton and Education.

You don't have to have any in depth knowledge about the disciplines (Psychology, Philosophy, History and Sociology) as many people haven't studied them before. You should have some opinions on aspects of education though, such as are exams correct and maybe look at news stories on the subject. The education interview is quite casual though, trying to ask about your interests and some things about education just to see how you think. I'm afraid I'm not taking physical sciences though so it might be an idea to go on the physical sciences thread to ask them about that aspect of it.
I saw the Education course and it looked ideal for me, but then I examined the entry requirements more closely and saw that you can only combine the element of Education with a set list of subject. I wouldn't mind studying Education with Religious Studies or History, but I am not studying AS levels in these currently. I am studying:

Computing
Politics
Sociology
Law

I am interested in social science and I want to go into education which is what attracted me to the course, and I noticed that it's desirable for applicants to have AS/A levels in social sciences.

Is there any chance if I, for example, picked up AS Philosophy and Ethics in my second year of study, or will some colleges admit me if I don't have an A level in the topic of study?
Reply 13
You don't however need A level RS to do theology at Cambridge, so an email to admissions might be a good idea.
Reply 14
I am interested in the Education with English and Drama degree for 2012 entry but have heard it may not be offered. Any info gratefully received.
Reply 15
DabbyB
I am interested in the Education with English and Drama degree for 2012 entry but have heard it may not be offered. Any info gratefully received.

Yep, that's unfortunately right, the degree's been abolished (there was a thread about this some time ago, though I am lazy to search for that), but I think it has been merged with PPS as well, that means some education studies modules will be offered via this subject. However, it would be better if any current student had a word about this as I had only been a prospective student until I heard these bad news...
Reply 16
DabbyB

Well as of yet nothing has been confirmed about the proposed changes, email the department for more info.
Reply 17
Thanks for this. It seems its all going to be sorted in the next few weeks so will know more then.
Reply 18
smilepea
Well as of yet nothing has been confirmed about the proposed changes, email the department for more info.

I realise this thread has been dead for a couple of months but I thought I'd bump it with a question. Do you know what will happen to people who start education studies in 2011? Will their course just continue as always but cease to exist for the year below them?
Reply 19
riotgrrl
I realise this thread has been dead for a couple of months but I thought I'd bump it with a question. Do you know what will happen to people who start education studies in 2011? Will their course just continue as always but cease to exist for the year below them?

Yes pretty much, although it's not been finalised that it will or will not be stopping.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending