The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

perhaps post in the engineering forum.
Reply 2
My interview at Bath was pretty basic, more a kind of meeting you session than hard core interview. Nothing challenging - just make sure you know what you're doing and why you want to do it. As for Bristol, I called them up and said that unless they made it on the same day as my Bath interview I wouldn't be attending (as Bath was my first choice), they couldn't change the day but gave me an offer anyway so I assume they're not too serious either...
Good luck!
Reply 3
p.s. Edinburgh didn't ask me for an interview...
Reply 4
I've just been asked for an interview with Southampton and Bristol. Bristol is my first choice so I'm naturally incredibly panicky!!
Does anyone know what the Bristol interview involves?
taurus26
I've just been asked for an interview with Southampton and Bristol. Bristol is my first choice so I'm naturally incredibly panicky!!

May I ask, when did you send off your application and when did you recieve your interviews? Also how (letter, email etc.)?
Reply 6
Pr0tégé
May I ask, when did you send off your application and when did you recieve your interviews? Also how (letter, email etc.)?

Sent it off on the 6th of November and got the letter yestarday morning for Bristol and on Monday for Southampton. They were both by letter.

I was so worried when I saw the Bristol letter... because it was a small one, so I thought I was getting rejected!
Reply 7
taurus26

My experiences last year of Bristol and Southampton, were that if you're called up for interview, you've basically got the offer. This seemed especially true of Bristol from talking to other applicants.

For Bristol, you can expect to be asked either, some maths questions, a question on an area of civil engineering (which from what I gather, is usually structures), or just about your PS. Southampton is generally just an "informal chat", but it really depends on your interviewer - mine absolutely grilled me.

Just be positive about the situation, know clearly why you want to do civil engineering, and don't be afraid to admit you're wrong or if you don't know about something. You stand a good chance of getting an offer, good luck :smile:
taurus26
Sent it off on the 6th of November and got the letter yestarday morning for Bristol and on Monday for Southampton. They were both by letter.

I was so worried when I saw the Bristol letter... because it was a small one, so I thought I was getting rejected!

Guess I should be hearing from them soon then... Thanks. Your predicted and achieved grades look very good so I don't think you have a problem. It's people like me who need to worry :smile:
Reply 9
Someone told me they do Water Boarding at Bristol to find out if you are lying or not.

Thats a joke BTW
Reply 10
ive sent my ucas off on 17 oct and heard from all my unis apart from bristol. should i be worried? im worried!!!lol.
does that mean they consider me 'boderline'?
Reply 11
calypso
ive sent my ucas off on 17 oct and heard from all my unis apart from bristol. should i be worried? im worried!!!lol.
does that mean they consider me 'boderline'?

I was thinking the opposite. I was wondering if I got an interview so quickly it meant that they were trying to work out if I should be considered of if they could just cross me off the list!
Reply 12
Peel
My experiences last year of Bristol and Southampton, were that if you're called up for interview, you've basically got the offer. This seemed especially true of Bristol from talking to other applicants.

For Bristol, you can expect to be asked either, some maths questions, a question on an area of civil engineering (which from what I gather, is usually structures), or just about your PS. Southampton is generally just an "informal chat", but it really depends on your interviewer - mine absolutely grilled me.

Just be positive about the situation, know clearly why you want to do civil engineering, and don't be afraid to admit you're wrong or if you don't know about something. You stand a good chance of getting an offer, good luck :smile:

Yours grilled you? ... not entirely comforting :rolleyes: But its good to know in general they aren't so bad. Cheers
Reply 13
taurus26
Yours grilled you? ... not entirely comforting :rolleyes: But its good to know in general they aren't so bad. Cheers

Yeah, it was by far my hardest interview although it was the least technical. Chances are you won't get my interviewer, but even if you get difficult questions don't fret. You just know when you go around saying you want to make a difference to people's lives through engineering, you're going to be questioned at one point or another, even if the interviewer does agree with you.

Do you have an upcoming interview?
Reply 14
Peel
Yeah, it was by far my hardest interview although it was the least technical. Chances are you won't get my interviewer, but even if you get difficult questions don't fret. You just know when you go around saying you want to make a difference to people's lives through engineering, you're going to be questioned at one point or another, even if the interviewer does agree with you.

Do you have an upcoming interview?

Yeah I do. On the 10th. And i feel like I should've read more books or something. But its a bit late for that now!
Reply 15
taurus26
Yeah I do. On the 10th. And i feel like I should've read more books or something. But its a bit late for that now!

Oh I hope I didn't scare you off or anything! Everyone else said they just had a 5 minute chat, so don't worry. Being interviewed this early can only be a good thing. Best of luck!
Reply 16
Peel
Oh I hope I didn't scare you off or anything! Everyone else said they just had a 5 minute chat, so don't worry. Being interviewed this early can only be a good thing. Best of luck!

I think I got more your kind of interview. It was terrible. He spent the whole time asking me things I didn't know about, and then said there wasn't any time to ask anything else so I would just have to go and get the next guy.... :sigh:

Well at least I know what to expect now.
taurus26
I think I got more your kind of interview. It was terrible. He spent the whole time asking me things I didn't know about, and then said there wasn't any time to ask anything else so I would just have to go and get the next guy.... :sigh:

Well at least I know what to expect now.

what questions were you asked?
Reply 18
About concrete drainage pipes. And what would happen if a lorry drove over the top of it. And he said that they often surround the pipe in gravel so what would that do... so I blabbered on about a whole load of ******** and then he just said... no it would break if a lorry went over the top of it.
And I was saying this bloody concrete pipe would bend or something (ha), because I thought if they sometimes put the pipe in gravel to protect it in real life... then they wouldn't do that if they thought the pipe would break.

But otherwise they just ask you about your personal statement other people were saying. I know someone was asked about why the Millenium bridge wobbled.
Reply 19
hey guys!! any one of u have an interview at bath and/or Southampton...
i hav an interview at Bath on the 4 th feb and Southampton at 4 march!! really worried about questions theyd ask! any suggestions would be helpful!!:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending