The Student Room Group

Argue/Discuss: IGCSE Vs GCSE

So what is the point of some private schools chosing to have IGCSE rather than GCSE?

Here are some interesting questions:

Surely someone with 6A* and 5A in GCSE and someone with the same in IGCSE will be regarded as the same standard? ...

... Or do acedemic institutions like universities or 6th form colleges take into account that IGCSE has further content and is therefore harder, and so the IGCSE candidate is more intelligent? ...

... Or do they just regard them the same since people taking IGCSE have the whole of year 9 to start them including year 10 and year 11 seeing as schools taking IGCSE do not do the 99% pointless key stage 3?

... Or is it simply that people taking IGCSE are better prepared for a level in the next year and so are regarded as a more ideal candidate when put against the same level GCSE candidate when applying for a top 6th form college for a place?

:smile:
i highly doubt anyone will care
lets face it nobody gives a damn about gcses let alone if they are IGCSE or normal GCSE

if you really want to get anal about different exam qualities try comparing AQA dual award science to IGCSE seperate sciences.. now we have something worth mentioning
its still not enough to care about though
Well, I know that in relation to maths, the IGCSE is apparently more difficult and slightly more respected...
I don't know about any others though?
Reply 3
IGCSE seems a lot tougher from what I've seen, so I'd agree that they're better prepared for A-level/IB

Latest