The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
investment banking is haraam,,,
Reply 21
Make the move.
You're an international student. Unless your English is perfect (barely any accent), you will have trouble getting a front office job in London, regardless of whether or not you get a 1st at Imperial. Just keep that in mind. I'm not sure if Australia is the same way.
Reply 23
asim1701
I am studying engineering at the university of sydney

Where does Melbourne come in to it?
Reply 24
shady lane
You're an international student. Unless your English is perfect (barely any accent), you will have trouble getting a front office job in London, regardless of whether or not you get a 1st at Imperial. Just keep that in mind. I'm not sure if Australia is the same way.

What are you talking about?
Reply 25
shady lane

Did you not have this problem then?
Well its much cheaper to live in Australia so you'd get paid a load more if you got a job in London but you'd probably have a lower standard of living comparatively. tbh Id make the decision more on if you want to try out something new or stay at home, you can always go back to Australia after you finish your degree and probably still get a job in IB there.
Mikesev
Did you not have this problem then?

Americans speak English....
but so do Australians, shady was talking about accents.
imy786

wtf does this mean?

edit: checked wikipedia "Haraam is a widely used sypnosis to define all that is forbidden by God."
From a guy that goes to the open uni, I guess a decent education is also haraam then.
Reply 30
imy786

thx for the info that makes me want to do it even more :biggrin:

You're an international student.

yeah but I've been living like everywhere since I was a kid so I've usually been studying at International/American schools so my accent should be okay I guess/hope.

Well its much cheaper to live in Australia so you'd get paid a load more if you got a job in London .... you can always go back to Australia after you finish your degree and probably still get a job in IB there.

I've been thinking of doing that as that would be my best option, I might work a bit there and then if I can come back here.

best uni in australia by league tables = Australian National University.

Shady Lane was talking about the english accent because I'm not from Australia. Sorry I wasn't clear in my original post.

thanks for the replies guys, the general concensus seems to be that I should move. I'll do that if I get the offer then.

If anyone has anymore advice please tell me, thanks.
Reply 31
abrp
Americans speak English....

Really? So do Australians amazingly. Shady mentioned accents.
shady lane

Depends what you're going for, trading it's less important, some have quite thick accents. I agree with you on one thing though, 1st from imperial or not, there's no getting a job unless you speak fluent, idiomatically correct english
asim1701
Ok this is a weird question because I dont know if a lot of you have any knowledge about Australian Universities but I'll ask anyway :tongue:

Basically right now I am studying engineering at the university of sydney and may possibly have a chance to transfer to Imperial college in October. From an IB career perspective, what would be more financially rewarding, studying at Imperial and getting an IB job in the UK or studying at U.Sydney and getting a job in Sydney. I've tried searching around the net for some Australian students forum but couldn't find anything, and couldn't really find much about starting salaries of sydney graduate students. Also as I mentioned before I am doing an engineering degree, and I'm not sure if an eng. degree from an australian university will be looked upon as highly as an eng. degree from imperial in the IB sector.

Also, I know its obvious that the Australian market is no where as big as the British market, so it would seem that working in banking in the UK will be more beneficial, but I just want to confirm all this so that I don't back in 3 years time and feel like an idiot for not asking.

Australia's a great place to live in, but I would really like to get a top quality education if I can and just wanted to know if it would be the right move to study at Imperial. I guess I would always have an option to get a job in the UK and if i want request for a transfer to Australia if I want.

If there is anyone who has a broad knowledge of Investment Banking around the world and could help me with this I would be greatful.

Thx for reading this.

btw I would be an international student in both places incase that matters when being considered for a job.

Apparently none of you lot read carefully. I hope you're not doing essay-based subjects.
Reply 34
asim1701: if you're looking for an australian students forum, check out www.boredofstudies.org - it's like an aussie version of TSR :smile:

I was in a similar position last time - deciding between LSE and Melbourne uni. I think the decision is probably a no-brainer for people on TSR, but the choice was hard for me because Melbourne is a great place to live in, compared to London (tbh I didn't really like it when I visited it a few years ago). In terms of reputation LSE clearly wins hands down, which is what ultimately made me pick it as my firm. I think you should pick Imperial, simply because an Imperial degree will open more doors next time, especially for IB.
From the way he is writing, and if you assume he speaks like that also, I don't think there is any problem in him not being able to speak good enough English. So the post about him having trouble as an international student is probably just a poke in the dark for all we know. Having said that, if someone had a strong American twang, that would make me want to punch them in the face.
MonteCristo
From the way he is writing, and if you assume he speaks like that also, I don't think there is any problem in him not being able to speak good enough English. So the post about him having trouble as an international student is probably just a poke in the dark for all we know. Having said that, if someone had a strong American twang, that would make me want to punch them in the face.

Well you wouldn't know at Imperial with all the numbers and formulas, hah. At LSE there are people who speak with heavily accented and sometimes hard to understand English, yet write brilliant essays. I personally can write very well in the foreign language I studied, but don't speak it nearly as well.

And Bob Diamond just twanged his way into being the highest paid executive in the UK--as the head of a British investment bank :p:
shady lane
Well you wouldn't know at Imperial with all the numbers and formulas, hah. At LSE there are people who speak with heavily accented and sometimes hard to understand English, yet write brilliant essays. I personally can write very well in the foreign language I studied, but don't speak it nearly as well.

Well I guess if you have spent most of your life in international schools, it should be fine. I do know a few people who have and they have fine English and tolerable accents.

And Bob Diamond just twanged his way into being the highest paid executive in the UK--as the head of a British investment bank :p:

"Want some fries with that shake?"
Reply 38
MonteCristo

"Want some fries with that shake?"

Rofl
Reply 39
shadowfax
asim1701: if you're looking for an australian students forum, check out www.boredofstudies.org - it's like an aussie version of TSR :smile:

I was in a similar position last time - deciding between LSE and Melbourne uni. I think the decision is probably a no-brainer for people on TSR, but the choice was hard for me because Melbourne is a great place to live in, compared to London (tbh I didn't really like it when I visited it a few years ago). In terms of reputation LSE clearly wins hands down, which is what ultimately made me pick it as my firm. I think you should pick Imperial, simply because an Imperial degree will open more doors next time, especially for IB.

Thx for the post shadowfax, i agree with you, i've lived in london and sydney for a year each, and I definitely like sydney more, but I guess an Imperial degree would count way more than a Sydney degree on an international level.

Latest

Trending

Trending